Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2013, 10:00 AM

269 posts, read 208,118 times

Advertisements

as a human being, i have the right to say, prove all assertions, since christians are just pronouncing instead of providing objective evidence...and then if they continue to pronounce assertions, i have the right to reject it as their pronouncements do not fit the criteria i have set up for myself in order to establish what they say is true.

the way humans work together is to prove to one another they are what they say they are through their actions...

if a stranger were to assert that they wanted to take someones little children to the zoo just for fun, although there is no evidence of ill intent, will they just take the strangers word for it?
i certainly hope not, and yet that criteria is expected for the skeptic to abandon when it comes to making faith based claims...

and then the skeptic is to be labeled as wicked, evil, and of the dark...which is biblically supported in the NT...another faith based claim

so how rational is it to expect people to take on faith based claims as fact without having the criteria they set up for themselves to be satisfied, isn't that asking for too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 10:17 AM

264 posts, read 350,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minidiaz View Post
as a human being, i have the right to say, prove all assertions, since christians are just pronouncing instead of providing objective evidence...and then if they continue to pronounce assertions, i have the right to reject it as their pronouncements do not fit the criteria i have set up for myself in order to establish what they say is true.

the way humans work together is to prove to one another they are what they say they are through their actions...

if a stranger were to assert that they wanted to take someones little children to the zoo just for fun, although there is no evidence of ill intent, will they just take the strangers word for it?
i certainly hope not, and yet that criteria is expected for the skeptic to abandon when it comes to making faith based claims...

and then the skeptic is to be labeled as wicked, evil, and of the dark...which is biblically supported in the NT...

so how rational is it to expect people to take on faith based claims as fact without having the criteria they set up for themselves to be satisfied, isn't that asking for too much?

Why don't you try speaking to the God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob and earnestly ask Him to reveal Himself to you in some way? We don't need to see God to know that He is real, for we have history to show the works of God. Such as why is the tiny little nation of Israel always in the news and been re gathered as God's Word said they would be in these LAST OF DAYS?
How did the prophets who wrote down the INSPIRED Word of God for us to have know that the world was round and suspended on nothing? or that in time there would be a thing where every eye would be able to see something happening on the otherside of the world at the SAME TIME being SATELITES?
Why do we have a 7 day week in the world? Could it be because God set it up for man to do it this way? as He said 6 days are for our works and 1 day of joyful rest to honor and enjoy Him?
Why do you think there are 12 supreme judges just as the Bible says will be the 12 apostles will judge Israel.
My point is the whole earth has know God and our foundations were built upon His spiritual laws and for us natural laws... it is just that we are so far from God we have lost are way and since the world is in such disarray because of it, we ask, WHY, IF THERE IS A GOD IS THEIR SUCH SUFFERING IN THE WORLD. And the answer is BECAUSE OF UNBELIEF IN HIM!

Old 11-23-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afaithfulone4u View Post
Why don't you try speaking to the God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob and earnestly ask Him to reveal Himself to you in some way?
why did you assume i haven't already...because for over 20 yrs of my life, i did.
i was prepping for the ministry, went to bible college...lead youth group out reaches...

Quote:
We don't need to see God to know that He is real,
yes we do.

Quote:
for we have history to show the works of God. Such as why is the tiny little nation of Israel always in the news and been re gathered as God's Word said they would be in these LAST OF DAYS?
How did the prophets who wrote down the INSPIRED Word of God for us to have know that the world was round and suspended on nothing? or that in time there would be a thing where every eye would be able to see something happening on the otherside of the world at the SAME TIME being SATELITES?
Why do we have a 7 day week in the world? Could it be because God set it up for man to do it this way? as He said 6 days are for our works and 1 day of joyful rest to honor and enjoy Him?
Why do you think there are 12 supreme judges just as the Bible says will be the 12 apostles will judge Israel.
My point is the whole earth has know God and our foundations were built upon His spiritual laws and for us natural laws... it is just that we are so far from God we have lost are way and since the world is in such disarray because of it, we ask, WHY, IF THERE IS A GOD IS THEIR SUCH SUFFERING IN THE WORLD. And the answer is BECAUSE OF UNBELIEF IN HIM!
more pronouncements without proof...

carry on

Old 11-23-2013, 11:42 AM

535 posts, read 966,689 times
Quote:

and then the skeptic is to be labeled as wicked, evil, and of the dark...which is biblically supported in the NT...another faith based claim

minidiaz, who in this forum is asking you specifically to have faith in anything? You came here, no one from here came to you. If you desire or need empirical evidence God exists that is well and fine. If anyone here specifically calls you wicked, evil, and of the dark, that person(s) should be reported to the forum moderators. Faith in God because He is unseen is not for everyone.

Below are links to all the NT verses with the words wicked, evil, and of the dark in them. Please let me know which verses bother you and we'll discuss them in context. Or any other verses for that matter.

Unfortunately, the website link to the word evil cut it off at 100 verses. Of the dark yielded no verses so I used dark. Hope you don't mind.
Wicked: 90 NT instances. Bible Search: wicked

Dark:58 NT instances: Bible Search: dark

Evil:536 NT instances. Bible Search: evil

Minidiaz, your analogy of being skeptical of a stranger offering to taking my kids to the zoo and my believing they won't harm them and my believing God offers the hope of eternal life through His son Jesus are comparing apples to oranges. One does not require spiritual awakening, one does. And, that is the heart and soul of the dilemma.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
minidiaz, who in this forum is asking you specifically to have faith in anything?
well it's not so much that then the underlining idea that skeptics are untrustworthy like rapists according to a gallup pole.

Quote:
Below are links to all the NT verses with the words wicked, evil, and of the dark in them. Please let me know which verses bother you and we'll discuss them in context. Or any other verses for that matter.
"Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?" 2 cor 6:14

Quote:
Minidiaz, your analogy of being skeptical of a stranger offering to taking my kids to the zoo and my believing they won't harm them and my believing God offers the hope of eternal life through His son Jesus are comparing apples to oranges.
it is the same considering the marginalization of people based on this unsupportable eternal hope, which also asserts to be representing an all encompassing moral authority, exists in this country...

Quote:
One does not require spiritual awakening, one does. And, that is the heart and soul of the dilemma.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:29 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:

Beats putting faith in atheistic man, who consistently turn out to be wrong in their assertions and provide no genuine moral guidance on top of that.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:04 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
minidiaz, who in this forum is asking you specifically to have faith in anything? You came here, no one from here came to you. If you desire or need empirical evidence God exists that is well and fine. If anyone here specifically calls you wicked, evil, and of the dark, that person(s) should be reported to the forum moderators. Faith in God because He is unseen is not for everyone.
Mini's responses are to the fundamentalist Christians and she adamantly refuses to acknowledge that there are any others. The only faith-based assertions she countenances are the ones that support her particular irritations with Christianity. Intransigence just doesn't adequately characterize the problem. It is easy to see why faith-based assertions . . . as mini sees them . . . would be asking for too much.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:25 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
In Malachi 3 :8-12... The Prophet reported through the spirit ....``Will a man rob God ?....Yet you have robbed me ..... But you say Where have we robbed you?.... In tithes and offering .......Bring you all the this in to the storehouse , that there may be meat in mine house , and prove me now here with said the Lord of Host, if I will not open you the windows of heaven , and pour you out a blessing , that there will not be room enough to receive it , and I will rebuke the devourer for your sake , and he will not destroy the fruits of the ground, neither will your fruits cast her fruits before the time in the fields, said the Lord of host , and all the nations will call you blessed for you will be a delight some land said the Lord of Host ``..................See God want to bless His people where He says that even the so called climate change ideas can be avoided in the fields, if you turn and support me with charity with faith , as to God we have never asked for to much in faith

Old 11-24-2013, 09:32 AM

535 posts, read 966,689 times
Quote:
why did you assume i haven't already...because for over 20 yrs of my life, i did. i was prepping for the ministry, went to bible college...lead youth group out reaches...
I suspected you were college educated. One of my son-in-laws went to a more than one Christian College and has a ministrial degree. I was assistant Dean of Education at a university. Which Bible College did you attend? I'm just curious since education and Christian education run in the family, so to speak.
Quote:
well it's not so much that then the underlining idea that skeptics are untrustworthy like rapists according to a gallup pole.
I was unable to locate that particular Poll on the Gallup website. Can you link it for me? Thanks.
Quote:
"Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?" 2 cor 6:14
Since you were a Bible College student the Greek in the following Bible commentary will certainly make more sense to you than to me. You no doubt took biblical hermeneutics so will understand this well.
From the IVP NT Bible Commentary:
Quote:
The command is literally Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. The verb heterozygew is an agricultural term that refers to the practice of yoking to a plow two unequal kinds of animals such as an ox and a donkey. This would suggest that unequal associations between Christians and non-Christians are what Paul specifically has in mind. Five synonyms are employed to describe the kinds of associations that are forbidden. Metoche ("have in common"), found nowhere else in the Greek Bible, and koinonia ("fellowship") mean to partner or share. Symphonesis ("harmony") signifies to be in agreement with or of one accord. Meris ("in common") denotes a shared lot or portion. Synkatathesis ("agreement") is commonly used of a decision arrived at by a group. Paul is clearly thinking of associations that involve a partnership rather than a casual or occasional working relationship.

The specific kinds of partnerships are left unnamed. A principle is merely articulated and understanding of its application assumed (compare James 1:27, "to keep oneself from being polluted by the world"). This may be because Paul dealt with specific instances in 1 Corinthians, so that the Corinthians understand quite well what kinds of partnerships are in view. For example, he had reprimanded them for allowing their legal disputes with one another to be arbitrated by the secular courts ("in front of unbelievers," 6:1-6). He had admonished them for participating with pagans in their cultic meals (10:6-22). And he had rebuked them for approving of sexual unions with prostitutes (6:12-20) and for taking pride in the sexual liaison between a Christian and his stepmother (5:1-13).
From your Bible College studies you no doubt know the obstacles the Church at Corinth was faced with and dealt with.
The remainder of the longer commentary can be found in multiple locations and online here: 2 Corinthians 6 Commentary - Unequal Yoking with Unbelievers - BibleGateway.com
For the moderators. From IVP (InterVarsity Press):The "fair use" clause of current US copyright law allows you to reproduce short excerpts from copyrighted works (our standard is less than 500 words) with standard footnoting. "Fair use" applies to the content of InterVarsity publications and the IVP Online website.

Quote:
it is the same considering the marginalization of people based on this unsupportable eternal hope, which also asserts to be representing an all encompassing moral authority, exists in this country...
Using your words, it is not only people who believe in 'this unsupportable eternal hope and an all encompassing moral authority' who marginalize others.
[/i]Atheist god hate
Atheists don
Atheism Myths: do atheists hate God and Christians?
I chose atheists for contrast simply because I could think of no others, not to single them out. As these articles point out within atheism there is difference of opinion. The same is true for Christians, Muslims, and Jews.

Some people couldn't find anything nice to say if their life depended on it. Some took mom's advice, "If you can't say anything nice.........." we all know the rest. We all have some belief system that when we feel is threatened or under attack can lead to emotional responses, some unhealthy. In Overcoming the Destructive Dynamics of Defensiveness by Jack R. Gibbs, PhD, defensiveness is defined as an automatic emotional response to a perceived threat. Dr. Gibbs offers six suggestions to dismantle defensiveness, which he says poisons communication, breeds distrust, and creates roadblocks that result in divorce, employee attrition and ruined businesses.
http://www.ridge.com/downloads/Destr...sDefensive.pdf

Old 11-25-2013, 09:07 AM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Quote:
I have no expectations for seekers to accept or chose anything, but we will have to make a choice. That's not my job or any ones job to "convict" some one, for God has already given that task to another... but I want for every ones salvation. Even a non believer wants, something. I can however, give an account of how Christ has worked in my life, and point to my blessings and failures. I am a beliver of: " if'n you ain't livin' it, you ain't believin' it".

Have ever watched a football game and asked... how come everyone doesn't reach the same conclusion on every play if we're all seeing the same thing? We're right here in the same place, seeing the same thing. I don't get it? Well lets get us referee's and umpires, still we don't agree. OK... instant replay, again not definitive we say. OK we'll allow challenges. Yep same thing, no agreement.

Someone has got to decide based on personal judgement. You, I, them will have to make a choice.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - You have chosen wisely - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity