U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2008, 04:08 AM

1,686 posts, read 2,459,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
We read regarding the final recovery of all things from sin, or, when all things are put right, or restored anew.

Acts 3:21

**** "Until final recovery of all things from sin." -Kenneth Taylor-

**** "Until the whole world is re-created." -RIEU-

**** "When all is restored anew." -Monsig. Ronald Knox-

**** "When all things are put right." -BAS-

**** "Of the great restoration." -James Moffatt-
Please Note

The word katallasesthai, was used in ancient Greek marriage records to denote the reconciliation of spouses who had been separated.

Quote:
I will cleanse them of all the wickedness and sin they have committed; I will forgive all the evil deeds they have done in rebellion against Me...in this place shall be heard once again the sounds of joy and gladness, the voice of the bridegroom and the bride; here too shall be heard the voices shouting, 'Praise the Lord of Hosts, for He is good, for His love endures forever, and they offer praise and thanksgiving in the house of the Lord. For I will restore the fortunes of the land as once they were.
Hosea

Welcome to City-Data. There is a rumour that you spoke regarding "not pitied" and "not my people", is that correct?

The word of the Lord came to Hosea telling him "to take a wife of harlotry, for the land commits great harlotry by forsaking the Lord." From this union, a son was born, Jezreel, closely associated with the punishment and putting to an end of the kingdom of the House of Israel in the siege of Samaria, ending in the fall of Samaria in 722 B.C., and the end of the monarchy in Israel.

Please pay attention to the names of the other children flowing from this union. Hosea 1:8..."bore a daughter. And the Lord said to him, "Call her name Not Pitied." When she had weaned "Not Pitied" she conceived and bore a son...."and the Lord said, "Call his name Not my people, and I am not your God." or "I am not yours,"

YET, YET, YET

Quote:
....Yet in the place where it was said to them, 'you are not my people,' it shall be said to them, 'Sons of the living God.'
Oh I love this God of Glory! He speaks to His prophet, He speaks to His people..."Plead with your mother, plead-----for she is not my wife, and I am not her husband--that she put away her harlotry from her face....lest I strip her naked...and make her like a wilderness....and set her like a parched land, and slay her with thirst....therefore I will hedge up her way with thorns, and build a wall against her so that she cannot find her paths......

Then shall she say,

Quote:
I will go and return to my first husband, for it was better for me then than now, and she did not know, that it was I who gave her the grain, the wine and the oil...
The revelation of our fall from our Maker, our God, our Husband; and our demise into the realm of sin and death, with the wilderness that encompasses such a world, is what is spoken of in this story of despair. But wait! Do we hear our God tenderly calling into our desert/wilderness/parched land....

Quote:
Behold, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak tenderly to her...and there she shall answer as in the days of her youth.
Quote:
And in that day, says the Lord, you will call me, 'My Husband,' and no longer will you call me, 'My Baal. For I will remove the name of the Baals from her mouth, and they shall be mentioned by name no more....And I will make you a covenant on that day....and I will betroth you unto Me forever; I will betroth you to Me in righteousness and in justice, in steadfast love, and in mercy....I will betroth you to Me in faithfulness; and you shall know the Lord.
I will have pity on Not Pitied!

"In that day...I will answer the heavens and they shall answer the earth....and I will sow him FOR MYSELF.... and I will have pity on "Not Pitied" and I will say to "Not my People"...You are my people and he shall say, "Thou art my God."

Yes, the Eternal One says "I will betroth you to Myself forever. I will betroth you in lawful wedlock with unfailing love and devotion...I will betroth you to Myself to have and to hold and you shall know the Lord.

"I will pity Not Pitied! Not My People shall be My people!"

Old 02-11-2008, 07:27 AM

3,086 posts, read 5,662,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
So God gives us his armor so we can walk with him and live fruitfully in this age.
Thanks for sharing. Just to review those verses again:
Eph. 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

There is a choice referred to here. We are commanded to put on the armor. When do we do this? This verse does not make sense if our life is pre-destined. It says "that ye may be able to stand".. inferring that if we do not put it on, we will not be able to stand.

12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Again, a choice.

14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

How would you describe verse 16?

17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

What does it mean to take the helmet of salvation?

Old 02-11-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I think I know where you're coming from cg, you can correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it's the same question as "Why send missionaries if everyone will eventually be saved?"

I do understand that if someone sees the entire purpose of the gospel is to save people from eternally bad afterlives, then, if someone else takes that premise away, it begs the question: "Then what are we fighting for? What are we suffering for?"

Is this where you're coming from?
- byron
What I'm getting at is... in the NT we are commanded to repent, (also, Jesus said "Ye must be born again"), the NT is full of admonishments to be faithful... the Holy Spirit was sent to guide us... the church was established. All these things speak to me of there being much more than a pre-determined fate, and would not be necessary if the work was "completed" by Jesus' sacrifice (by this I mean the universal salvation of all).

Jesus was the complete sacrifice.. but to me it is obvious that God's work with mankind did not end there. We must still choose, and must still be guided by the Holy Spirit to make those choices. The church was established as a witness to the world.. to draw men to salvation, and to nurture Christians in fellowship.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:36 AM

21,635 posts, read 30,238,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
What does it mean to take the helmet of salvation?
Helmet of Salvation protects our mind. The devil wants to make us doubt God, Jesus and our salvation. The helmet protects our mind from doubting God's truth.
It also protects us from sin, sin begins in the mind, with a thought.

Last edited by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA; 02-11-2008 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: left out word

Old 02-11-2008, 09:41 AM

7,780 posts, read 13,498,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Helmet of Salvation protects our mind. The devil wants to make us doubt God, Jesus and our salvation. The helmet protects our mind from doubting God's truth.
It also protects us sin, sin begins in the mind, with a thought.
Interesting thing I read one time.

It was talking about the battlefield of belief being in our minds and that it's no coincident that the place where Christ died was called Golgotha-The place of the skull.

So yeah, the helmet of salvation definitely fits that perspective.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
What do the prophets say?

"The Lord will be terrible unto them; for He will famish all the gods of the earth, and men shall worship Him, every one from his place and all the isles of the heathen.....Indeed, My decision is to gather nations, to assemble kingdoms, to pour out all My burning anger; for all the earth will be devoured by the fire of My zeal. For then I will give to the peoples purified lips, that all of them may call upon the Name of the Lord, to serve Him with one consent, shoulder to shoulder."

1. All the isles of the "heathen" shall worship Him.

2. All men shall worship Him "from his place."

3. All nations shall be gathered, all kingdoms gathered to the devouring fire of the Lord. For what purpose?

4. I will give all heathen, all men, all nations purified lips. To what end?

5. That all of them may call upon the Lord.

6. And the calling upon the Name of the Lord finalizes in all of them serving the Lord "with one consent."
King David:

You have been declared a man after God's own heart. What do you think regarding the prophets Zephaniah and Isaiah who have declared that all mankind shall approach the Lord of Hosts, the delivering God? Are they correct in the assumption that all nations and all peoples shall have all tears wiped away? Will all the inhabitants of the earth "stand in awe of Him"? Will the whole earth, from end to end, come back to the Eternal One, the whole human family worship in His Presence?

"All nations whom You have made shall come and worship before You, Oh Lord; and shall give glory and honour to Your Name...all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God, the most distant parts of the earth shall see the saving power of our God. Let all the earth shout for joy to the Lord, let them break forth and sing for joy.

NOTE

1. All nations You have made shall worship before You.

2. All nations shall give glory and honour to Your Name.

3. The most distant parts of the earth shall see the saving power of God.

4. The giving of worship, glory, and honour is linked with breaking forth into singing and joy.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy_56 View Post
King David:

You have been declared a man after God's own heart. What do you think regarding the prophets Zephaniah and Isaiah who have declared that all mankind shall approach the Lord of Hosts, the delivering God? Are they correct in the assumption that all nations and all peoples shall have all tears wiped away? Will all the inhabitants of the earth "stand in awe of Him"? Will the whole earth, from end to end, come back to the Eternal One, the whole human family worship in His Presence?

"All nations whom You have made shall come and worship before You, Oh Lord; and shall give glory and honour to Your Name...all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God, the most distant parts of the earth shall see the saving power of our God. Let all the earth shout for joy to the Lord, let them break forth and sing for joy.

NOTE

1. All nations You have made shall worship before You.

2. All nations shall give glory and honour to Your Name.

3. The most distant parts of the earth shall see the saving power of God.

4. The giving of worship, glory, and honour is linked with breaking forth into singing and joy.
The new dispensation, when the gospel is for all.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:41 AM

In this age, or eon, the mighty strides of God are directed to those who are "marked out" for aionian life, by the Father's perogative. It is they who are entrusted with the Good News of Jesus Christ, to the farthest bounds of the earth.

The elect of God, (His aparche), or firstfruits, are exactly that: not the full harvest, which is ultimately to come, but the early fruits that lead to a full and complete harvest. The apostle St. Paul has declared the summary with flowing words of magnificence.......

Quote:
And this is in harmony with Gods merciful purpose for the government of the world when the times are ripe for it--The purpose which He has cherished in His own mind of restoring the whole creation to find its one Head in Christ; yes, things in heaven and things on earth, to find their one Head in Him. And you, chosen beforehand in accordance with the intention of Him who worketh all things according the counsel of His own will.
The Whole Creation= ta pavnte= the all

Old 02-12-2008, 09:53 AM

Abraham's Seed Ministering To Those "Out Of The Way"

But (and this concerns us) the Church is also Abraham's seed; for, as St. Paul says, "If you be Christ's you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise." (Gal. 3:29)

To the Church therefore belongs the same promise, as first-fruits with Christ, not to be blessed only, but to be a blessing, in its own heavenly and spiritual sphere. For if the Jew on earth shall be a "kingdom of priests," what is our hope but to be heavenly "kings and priests," (Rev. 1:6,10) as "kings," for the Lord shall say, "Be thou over five cities," to rule and order in the coming age what requires order; not only with Christ to "judge the world," (1 Cor. 6:2) but to be "equal unto the angels" and to "judge angels;" as "priests," for a priest is "for those out of the way," (Heb. 5:2) to minister to those who yet are out of the way.

This is the Church's calling, to do Christ's works, as He said, "He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also;" with Him to be both prophet, priest and king, and this, not here only in these bodies of humiliation, but when changed in His presence to bear His image and do His works with Him.

Fuller Dimensions Of Service
Christ barely entered on His priestly work till He had passed through death and judgment; (Heb. 4:14; 7:15-17; 8:4,6) so with those who are Christ's, their death and resurrection shall only introduce them to fuller and wider service to lost ones, over whom the Lord shall set them as priests and kings, until all things are restored and reconciled unto Him.

It is, alas, too true that of the Church's sons, some like Esau shall sell their birthright for some present good thing, and that in this age as in the last some of the children of the kingdom shall be cast out, while others from the east and from the west press in and win the crown and kingdom; yet an elect first-born shall surely be preserved, who are sealed to this pre-eminence, to be priests to God and rulers of their brethren.

To whom, I ask, shall the Church after death be priests? Shall it be to that great mass of our fellow men, who have departed hence in ignorance? Shall it be to "spirits in prison," such as those to whom after His death Christ Himself once preached:.....

Continued HERE

Old 02-12-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy_56 View Post
And this is in harmony with Gods merciful purpose for the government of the world when the times are ripe for it--The purpose which He has cherished in His own mind of restoring the whole creation to find its one Head in Christ; yes, things in heaven and things on earth, to find their one Head in Him. And you, chosen beforehand in accordance with the intention of Him who worketh all things according the counsel of His own will.
Yes.. the Jews were chosen beforehand.. now everyone could become sons of God. When the time was ripe, He sent His Son, so we all could find our Head in Him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or