U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2013, 02:35 AM

535 posts, read 764,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Bishop Robert J. McManus is expressing concern that Central Massachusetts Roman Catholics are not scheduling funeral Masses for their dead.

The Massachusetts Bishop reminds “There's a presumption today that everybody gets to heaven,” Bishop McManus said. “I don't think that people should think that's a given.”

Bishop McManus worried that some omit funeral Masses - Worcester Telegram & Gazette - telegram.com
Mass for the dead is important because,
Quote:
Q: When a Mass is said for the soul of a deceased loved one, does this help lessen the soul's time in purgatory?

A: Just as we pray for others here on earth, we are encouraged by the Church to pray for souls who may be in purgatory. Why? We are all in need of grace to come into the perfection of charity. We cannot enter heaven if we have not been completely cleansed of sin and all punishment due to sin. See Catechism of the Catholic Church #1031 and 1472
A Catholic Life: Why have a Mass for a Deceased Loved One?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 09:09 AM

8,827 posts, read 6,318,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
Mass for the dead is important because,
American Catholics are very practical. They acknowledged the old traditions, but do not necessarily practice them.

In any event there is a mass for the dead on November 1 (all Souls Day). In my parish they read the names of all parishioners that have died in the previous year.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:37 PM

400 posts, read 432,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
American Catholics are very practical. They acknowledged the old traditions, but do not necessarily practice them.

In any event there is a mass for the dead on November 1 (all Souls Day). In my parish they read the names of all parishioners that have died in the previous year.
It gets confusing as both the Funeral Mass and the All Souls Day, (Mass in Commemoration of All the Dead) are both Requiem Masses. The Mass in Commemoration of All the Dead "is inferior to that of the funeral Mass, since the Commemoration may not be celebrated either on a feast day or on a double of the First Class; wherefore, it may be called a Double of the Second Class." -Catholic Encyclopedia

When you said the names of all parishioners that have died in the previous year are read, I wonder if the names of those denied (or would have been denied) the Funeral Mass are read? I imagine it depends on the parish.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:52 PM

8,264 posts, read 10,050,669 times
Three things have always made me uncomfortable with masses conducted for the dead:
1). At best, any inferred scriptural support for the concept of 'Purgatory' is inconclusive.
2). There is no scriptural admonition to 'pray for the dead', or any suggestion that a post-death change in one's eternal condition is possible (through prayer or any other means.) In fact, scripture seems pretty specific about praying for the living, NOT the dead.
3). These masses are only(?) conducted after a 'fee' is paid to the church. If there was truly an efficacy in such prayers, it's hard to imagine God checking to see if the 'church fee' had been paid, before responding.

Last edited by jghorton; 11-30-2013 at 03:02 PM..

Old 11-30-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Three things have always made me uncomfortable with masses conducted for the dead:
1). At best, any inferred scriptural support for the concept of 'Purgatory' is inconclusive.
2). There is no scriptural admonition to 'pray for the dead', or any suggestion that a post-death change in one's eternal condition is possible (through prayer or any other means.) In fact, scripture seems pretty specific about praying for the living, NOT the dead.
3). These masses are only(?) conducted after a 'fee' is paid to the church. If there was truly an efficacy in such prayers, it's hard to imagine God checking to see if the 'church fee' had been paid, before responding.
If it is not in the Bible it did not happen.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:40 AM

7,880 posts, read 6,691,569 times
I remember the Old Anglican minister who would go out to the cemetery and consecrate the grounds to Jesus Christ many years ago. They would only pray for the dead at the funeral of people , which was a very limited prayer for the soul of the person .............. When I hear of a person passing on , I will pray a spiritual authority prayer to remove from the earth the dark spirit who is responsible directly or indirectly for the passing of the person , and that the soul is collected and brought to a place which God has planned.....And Jesus Holy Spirit does cleans the earth of those spirit responsible and collects the souls for His judgment ......Many others will not pray at all and some would pray for the family only .... The Catholic Mass for the dead could be a bonus for Jesus in His authority of Heaven and in the earth .....

Old 12-01-2013, 06:33 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,489,650 times
Quote:
When I went to the church to schedule my mother's funeral mass, I don't recall them asking me to pay a fee.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
When I went to the church to schedule my mother's funeral mass, I don't recall them asking me to pay a fee.
Me neither.

But, you must remember that some folks get their info from the Protestant Minister and quite often not even the Protestant Minister is well informed.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:23 AM

8,264 posts, read 10,050,669 times
Quote:
If it is not in the Bible it did not happen.

While your response is irrelevant to both the OP and my post, even your persistent efforts to denigrate Christians and the Bible ... sometimes contain a degree of truth:

John 21:25 - "Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written."

However, the categorical presumption that the Bible is wrong ... and worldly opinions are correct, is both foolish and dangerous:

1 Cor 3:19 - For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God’s sight. As it is written: “He catches the wise in their craftiness”;

Old 12-01-2013, 08:31 AM

400 posts, read 432,883 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Quote:
Me neither.

But, you must remember that some folks get their info from the Protestant Minister and quite often not even the Protestant Minister is well informed.
The article the OP linked said,
Quote:
He said the cost of a funeral Mass do not factor in on the decision. Mr. Mercadante said the average cost of a funeral Mass is about $300 and diocesan officials said pastors often waive fees for those that can't pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or