Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 08:40 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Apparently it's a place where naysayers track us down and attack us.

There is no sanctuary.
There are plenty of Christians-only message boards where any sort of naysaying results in a lifetime ban.

If you want your own playpen where only kids like you can pat each other on the back, they're out there.

Buh-bye!

Old 09-18-2017, 09:24 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,302,911 times
Don't forget, we also sing Kum Ba Yah.

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to CARM I go ...

Old 09-18-2017, 09:29 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
There are plenty of Christians-only message boards where any sort of naysaying results in a lifetime ban.

If you want your own playpen where only kids like you can pat each other on the back, they're out there.

Buh-bye!
This is true. Try discussing anything on the paranormal threads. There are posters who remind me of vultures just waiting to jump on anyone who dares discuss bigfoot or ghosts.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:59 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I have found in my long life that those that are most faithful, most devoted to God, have no problem debating their faith. I would think those seeking sanctuary would do better with a website devoted to their particular variety of Christianity.
Wow. I could not possibly agree more.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:04 AM

15,864 posts, read 6,320,150 times
I'm glad I was allowed to participate as much as I was if this forum starts barring dissent. It was useful to me to challenge the belief that anyone who wasn't a Jehovah's Witness was a watered down Christian. I actually still believed that even after all these years because it had been drilled into my head at such a young age and I didn't have the opportunity to ask questions and examine other people's beliefs. It's not the kind of thing you can just go up and ask somebody.

Questions:

Romans 8
…30And those He predestined He also called, those He called He also justified, those He justified He also glorified. 31What then shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32He who did not spare His own Son but gave Him up for us all, how will He not also, along with Him, freely give us all things?…

2 Kings 6:16
So he answered, "Do not fear, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them."

Psalm 118:6
The LORD is for me; I will not fear; What can man do to me?

Isaiah 8:10
"Devise a plan, but it will be thwarted; State a proposal, but it will not stand, For God is with us."

Isaiah 41:10
'Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.'

Jeremiah 20:11
But the LORD is with me like a dread champion; Therefore my persecutors will stumble and not prevail. They will be utterly ashamed, because they have failed, With an everlasting disgrace that will not be forgotten.

I especially like this one. It reminds me of an old adage: give them enough rope and they'll hang themselves.

1 Peter 3:14-16Amplified Bible (AMP)

14 But even if you should suffer for the sake of righteousness [though it is not certain that you will], you are still blessed [happy, to be admired and favored by God]. Do not be afraid of their intimidating threats, nor be troubled or disturbed [by their opposition]. 15 But in your hearts set Christ apart [as holy—acknowledging Him, giving Him first place in your lives] as Lord. Always be ready to give a [logical] defense to anyone who asks you to account for the hope and confident assurance [elicited by faith] that is within you, yet [do it] with gentleness and respect. 16 And see to it that your conscience is entirely clear, so that every time you are slandered or falsely accused, those who attack or disparage your good behavior in Christ will be shamed [by their own words].

So you can do all that or you can keep your faith to yourself and only share with like minded people. Another adage: Ships are safest in the harbor but that's not what ships are for.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:16 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Guilty. I have accepted the Forum's invitation to post to this thread to add an opinion, and here it is:

A lot has changed in ten short years. It would appear the Christianity subforum was "created" to discuss Christianity, not to debate it.

And here we are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
What do you think an open forum is?...
Quote:
Apparently it's a place where naysayers track us down and attack us.

There is no sanctuary.
If you want a small platform on which to stand and preach to an audience.
May I suggest you build a Church, and post armed guards at the door?

Old 09-18-2017, 01:21 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Don't forget, we also sing Kum Ba Yah.

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to CARM I go ...
"Unless you agree with me, you will be booted-out."

Been there, done that.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:55 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
"Unless you agree with me, you will be booted-out."

Been there, done that.
Well, yeah, but YOU got booted for singing Rock of Ages off key.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:59 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I have found in my long life that those that are most faithful, most devoted to God, have no problem debating their faith. I would think those seeking sanctuary would do better with a website devoted to their particular variety of Christianity.

I could suggest just humming loudly like my husband does, since he is unable to justify his beliefs or debate against historical data that calls them into question. Or go the way my brother does when I talk with him, simply just don't engage.
people that base their choices on how the universe works using a statement of belief about god (or anti-god) can't debate their position honestly. It would lead to the end of that belief statement.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:35 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
No, AA, it would be the end of DOGMATIC statements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity