Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 02:58 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,346,099 times

Advertisements

I get it that all the killing in the Jewish bible sounds horrible they today's lenses. I bet it was horrible back then as well.

But truly it's ironic for a Chrstian to claim to be the compassionate religion, isn't it? The Chrstians books may lack stories of the millions who have been killed in the name of Jesus, but their hesitancy to write it down doesn't make it untrue. At least we Jews are honest that we had to kill off the Cannaanites. It's right there in iur good book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 04:53 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,443,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
With all due respect, Twin . . . it is your ability and willingness to accept the barbaric and savage beliefs and superstitions about God that our ignorant ancient ancestors accepted that I find incredible in this day and age. They are completely incompatible with Christ's Sermon on the Mount and 1 Cor 13 . . . among the other unambiguous aspects of Christ's life, teachings and death. I simply cannot understand how you can claim to be a Christian who follows Christ while retaining such savage beliefs about God. Flipflop is more understandable because he rejects Christ.
Which is why Flipflop is more understandable to you .... birds of the same feather rejects Christ.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:35 PM

63,484 posts, read 39,770,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
With all due respect, Twin . . . it is your ability and willingness to accept the barbaric and savage beliefs and superstitions about God that our ignorant ancient ancestors accepted that I find incredible in this day and age. They are completely incompatible with Christ's Sermon on the Mount and 1 Cor 13 . . . among the other unambiguous aspects of Christ's life, teachings and death. I simply cannot understand how you can claim to be a Christian who follows Christ while retaining such savage beliefs about God. Flipflop is more understandable because he rejects Christ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Which is why Flipflop is more understandable to you .... birds of the same feather rejects Christ.
Moderator cut: deleted You are the one who rejects Christ's revelations about the TRUE NATURE of God . . . to retain the savage and barbaric beliefs about God of our ignorant superstitious ancient ancestors. I accept Christ and His revelations about God.

Last edited by june 7th; 12-12-2013 at 05:02 AM.. Reason: Imflammatory and encourages flame wars between you and other member in it's accusation.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:07 PM

1,220 posts, read 983,238 times
Default The Truth

The true nature of God is all consuming love...which the writer of Hebrews correctly described, saying...
"For our God is a consuming fire." Hebrews 12:29 KJV.
Unless one is in Christ, one will be hard pressed to endure the love of God.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:19 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,695,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
I have been doing my fair share of research about the Bible lately in order to get a better understanding and just now I had a thought pop into my head so I thought I'd post it here. If God gave Moses the Ten Commandments as specific instructions to follow and rules to live by, why not do the same thing with the Bible? Wouldn't it be easier to understand?
You're operating under the assumption that the Bible is deliberate. Oh, to some degree it is. God did see fit to preserve enough of the scriptures to point us towards him and thereby point us to the source of all truth.

The contents of the Bible are, for the most part, the texts that survived. They were not written to us nor were the written for us, but because truth does not change over time, everything can still be applied to us now.

If you want know truth and if you want to know what God expects of you, skip the business of reading texts that are thousands of years old. Go directly to the source: God. That's how Moses did it. That is how Christ and his apostles did it. That's how all the ancient prophets did it. God hasn't changed much since those days. Yes study of the Bible can help, but the Bible doesn't have an answer to every question and in your life. God does have those answers.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:32 AM

376 posts, read 417,751 times
Quote:
I have been doing my fair share of research about the Bible lately in order to get a better understanding and just now I had a thought pop into my head so I thought I'd post it here. If God gave Moses the Ten Commandments as specific instructions to follow and rules to live by, why not do the same thing with the Bible? Wouldn't it be easier to understand?
Because the whole Bible is progressive. It's working towards a wedding covenant.
Blood --> Salt --> Sandal --> Wedding

So at the very start not all was needed. Things got added as humanity slowly progressed towards the higher covenants.

Besides that, God did sent the Bible. Just not all at once.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:50 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
I can't answer your question about God's Holy Word, the Bible, but, I have to consider that both the Koran and the Book of Mormon were given intact by some non-human being to man. I am certain that being was not God.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:53 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
At least we Jews are honest that we had to kill off the Cannaanites. It's right there in iur good book.
If only your ancestors had fully obeyed God and killed them all.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:03 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,857,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Maybe it's because the book, the commandments of the OT, failed, at least in a non-Jews eyes, at getting to the core of the ethical and metaphysical questions of life. To answer that, we must turn to ideas instead of actions. To demonstrate ideas, we use metaphors and analogies, or parables and stories. People then mistakenly turn these metaphors back into commandments, and end up with an even stranger, and I say a less true, way of living than with the OT commandments.
THIS. The Ten Commandments were intended to be an authoritative text, the Bible was not.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:11 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,695,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
THIS. The Ten Commandments were intended to be an authoritative text, the Bible was not.
Well, actually it's 613 commandments, but otherwise you are quite correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity