Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 01:24 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga rice View Post
Did anything in my post lead you to believe Billy Graham or anyone else thinks otherwise?
Not really, Sorry if I struck a nerve. Did something I said, lead you to believe that I thought otherwise; ... or that you were the only person on this thread?

After all, you led off with a good, provocative question: "Is soul winning (only) for the 'big guns?'" --- You must have thought that 'somebody' who might read this thread - thought so(?) ... as do I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 11:45 AM

103 posts, read 118,836 times
I don't think we need to be "big guns" to share the Good News. Not everyone will be a Billy Graham or Billy Sunday. For some it's a stretch outside their comfort zones. I've heard fear of rejection tops most surveys on the subject. Many feel ill equipped. Start with your testimony, see where it takes you.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:49 AM

103 posts, read 118,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
"Is soul winning (only) for the 'big guns?'" --- You must have thought that 'somebody' who might read this thread - thought so(?) ... as do I.
So, to you soul winning is for the big guns. I was going to ask why, but I'd rather not know.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:50 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
"Soul winning" is for The Big Gun. The Holy Spirit does the "soul winning."

Understanding that removes the burden on us to display "successful metrics." We only need to do our part--success is the responsibility of the Holy Spirit.

It's like being a lineman on a football team: My job is to block that guy right there; I only need to do that. The backfield is in charge of scoring.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:29 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONDerings View Post
So, to you soul winning is for the big guns. I was going to ask why, but I'd rather not know.
Of course not ... as clearly evidenced in my previous posts! However, I can see where your misunderstanding may have occurred. When I said, "As do I", I meant that I also think there are folks on the Christian Forum that might think 'Soul winning is for the big guns' (and was responding to them). I certainly did NOT mean that I thought that; ... as evidenced by 25-30 years of introducing people to Jesus Christ ... as only a 'very small gun' in Christ's ministry.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:02 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times
God wins souls not Man. God draws to the Son. His work not ours. We are to preach Christ crucified. If one comes to the Son we were just a vessel God used to accomplish His will. God drew and God opened eyes. God's Spirit gave the empowerment of witness. He plants the faith within one to believe. We are nothing.

I think it's a mark of the flesh to start talking about "winning" people to Christ. Any doctrine that leads to sin is false. Pride is sin. Correct doctrine leads to walking in God's way with the correct motive as He produces fruit in our lives as He works conforming us into the image of His Son.

So if you are in a Church where you are constantly kept feeling guilty because you are not witnessing enough to those around you "winning" them to Christ, than I suggest you try a church that doesn't put that type of pressure on you. What they are asking you to do is impossible. God saves people not us. The Spirit will guide as He wills. Any type of fleshly conversion will fail.

Don't worry about the "notches" on your belt because they aren't your notches anyways. I find it interesting when I hear a preacher talking about "their" ministry and how many souls they've brought to Christ. This is actually false doctrine. One that leads to an inherent quality that is not in Man in their perceived ability to bring people to the Son and sinful spiritual pride taking the credit for something that they did not do IMO.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:20 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
It is for the wise The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise. Provebs 11:30

A man hath joy by the answer of his mouth: and a word spoken in due season, how good is it! Proverbs 15:23

What's that you were saying again ?.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:43 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
It is for the wise The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise. Provebs 11:30

What's that you were saying again ?.
Good Scripture. God uses His people as vessels in which He works to reach out. Our job is to submit and allow His leading. If we do this, than we will be used to "win" souls.. and therefore are wise.

God draws Man to the Son. (John 6) Man trying to draw Man to the Son will not work. Ultimately God win souls. He may use us as an instrument to get His Will accomplished, but He does all the work. Even the will and empowerment to talk to others about Christ comes from Him. He gets all the glory as we are nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity