Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 06:22 PM

399 posts, read 685,374 times

Advertisements

What is the whole point of being good? If everyone can be forgiven for their sins, then when someone does something really bad to you, does it even matter? I am thinking of my in-laws, and how they misread my husband and I's intentions and treated us so bad we had to leave the family farm and it has had this snowball effect on us and our kids. Now my brother in law who was the hardest on us (even told my husband to burn in h**l) was allowed to buy the family farm at the same price that he would not allow us to!!! (I say allow because my mother in law is trying to please everyone and all the kids persuade her decisions) I'm not upset because I want to buy the farm anymore- I can see we are better off far away from the in-laws- I am just upset about how we were treated and the lies told about us and how it ended with them getting things just peachy for them. And we have been through some really, really tough times as a result of the whole escapade. And it really doesnt matter because in the end, this life won't matter anymore. Because God loves all his children and wants all his children to be happy- just like I do as a parent of three kids. I understand that. But why, then are we to be good??

Help me understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 10:58 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeach View Post
What is the whole point of being good? If everyone can be forgiven for their sins, then when someone does something really bad to you, does it even matter? I am thinking of my in-laws, and how they misread my husband and I's intentions and treated us so bad we had to leave the family farm and it has had this snowball effect on us and our kids. Now my brother in law who was the hardest on us (even told my husband to burn in h**l) was allowed to buy the family farm at the same price that he would not allow us to!!! (I say allow because my mother in law is trying to please everyone and all the kids persuade her decisions) I'm not upset because I want to buy the farm anymore- I can see we are better off far away from the in-laws- I am just upset about how we were treated and the lies told about us and how it ended with them getting things just peachy for them. And we have been through some really, really tough times as a result of the whole escapade. And it really doesnt matter because in the end, this life won't matter anymore. Because God loves all his children and wants all his children to be happy- just like I do as a parent of three kids. I understand that. But why, then are we to be good??

Help me understand.
If you are being good because God will punish you . . . you are failing yourself and God. The only reason to be good is because that is when you feel right with yourself and God. Being good must be its own reward . . . or you have not yet achieved the level of spiritual maturity that is required to be successfully reborn as Spirit after our death. The evidence is clear that this world does not typically reward the good and we should not have any great expectations that it will.

This life prepares us for the next. That is why we are cautioned to be separate from this world. Everything of this world is temporary. We cannot help but be in it . . . but we CAN choose not to be of it. We tend to affect only our own circle and within it we can have some impact. Love is the great healer and is not diminished when it is spread. It grows and is all we will take with us into the next life. Produce as much as you can while here.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:05 PM

670 posts, read 814,841 times
Quote:

Help me understand.
The true creator never did require a blood sacrifice, nor perfection, she merely wished for us to do our best to do good while we live by being loving, accepting, and kind to others. She does not even require belief in her but only that we do good.

Free Grace is a false doctrine and a heresy. We are saved by good works, for we are to follow the teachings of the Christ who is the son of my goddess the All-Fire, for she has contained within herself the creative forces of male and female, she was his father not the old testament entity who some attempt to pass off as good.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:28 AM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Well, in all things in life, being good has compensation.

Matt 25:23 "His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!' It is by faith we believe good has it's rewards in Heaven. Faith purplepeach... faith.

We often find ourselves in conflict with other people. Sometimes it's from our pride, or we did something wrong or it's completely no fault of ours.... and sometimes God tests us.

Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. I suggest, Become clay in the hands of the potter... let God renew your spirit and shape your life. Our job in these matters is to pay attention and act upon what is true, right and good.

Well... now we have to discover the will of God, In prayer. The Lord's prayer might speak to your heart. Get up early and watch the light take away the darkness, look at God's miracle in your children, tell your husband he's a good man show him respect and watch his spirit soar! ask him to love you just a bit different and guide his hand, and thank God for your trials, for in these moments, we find Him.

Blessings

Old 12-16-2013, 05:10 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
The best reason I know of to do good and be good is because virtue has its own reward with it - the peace - the feeling of wholeness you have inside when you do what you know is right and when you patiently suffer wrong from others is a blessed thing. Granted, sometimes it doesn't feel like a blessed thing, but that may be because you have not meditated enough on the matter and looked at it from the proper perspective.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:17 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,775 times
"I am just upset about how we were treated" hopefully it remains a thing of the past. you don't have to do good to your inlaws, you can curse them, damn them to hell, even violently attack them. But you choose to do good because it is your nature. it is who you are. you cannot do them evil. even if you wanted to, your heart would not let you.
I am sure you had it hard with them, don't beat yourself up wondering why they don't like you. they are not capable of loving you. they are the problem.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:35 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Let's put it to you this way. Jesus came into the world to save us from sin, its effects, and the punishment that comes from it. So if Jesus came to save us from sin, why would we think it would be OK to continue to bathe in it. God is Good. God is love. If we are the children of God, then how can we not seek to be like him, also full of love and doing good to others, not doing evil. You have to understand that the law defines good and evil. I mean, are you fine living your life being an evil person and doing evil to others? I'll add a few texts to help you.

Gal 5:19 The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; Gal 5:20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions Gal 5:21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Gal 5:6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

Gal 6:7 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. Gal 6:8 The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:56 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If you are being good because God will punish you . . . you are failing yourself and God. The only reason to be good is because that is when you feel right with yourself and God. Being good must be its own reward . . . or you have not yet achieved the level of spiritual maturity that is required to be successfully reborn as Spirit after our death. The evidence is clear that this world does not typically reward the good and we should not have any great expectations that it will.

This life prepares us for the next. That is why we are cautioned to be separate from this world. Everything of this world is temporary. We cannot help but be in it . . . but we CAN choose not to be of it. We tend to affect only our own circle and within it we can have some impact. Love is the great healer and is not diminished when it is spread. It grows and is all we will take with us into the next life. Produce as much as you can while here.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:58 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
The best reason I know of to do good and be good is because virtue has its own reward with it - the peace - the feeling of wholeness you have inside when you do what you know is right and when you patiently suffer wrong from others is a blessed thing. Granted, sometimes it doesn't feel like a blessed thing, but that may be because you have not meditated enough on the matter and looked at it from the proper perspective.
True Heartsong. Being bad never feels good.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:47 AM

1,196 posts, read 753,272 times
Quote:
Help me understand.
with Jehovah's HS, I hope I helped.

when the first couple was on earth, Jehovah told them that if they eat of a certain tree they would die. This was because they would have sinned or disobeyed. Man was to live forever on a paradise earth, but Adam and eve took that away from us. Because Jehovah is a just God, he knew anyone who came AFTER the first couple. Wasn't the cause of disobedience, so he sent his son Jesus, so that we might have that chance to live forever, (John 3:16,17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved).

Death, is the payment for sin ,(Rom. 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord). So those who died ,(without the exception, of the first couple, because they were created without sin), had paid for being born through sin ,(Rom. 6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin). We being imperfect something believe if one does wrong, they should pay. But our thoughts, can't compare to Jehovah God, (Isa. 55:8,9 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts). So though most of us forgive conditionally, Jehovah God doesn't. Again!... their sins are wiped away. This is WHY... (though a different topic), a teaching of a “fiery hell”,for the dead wicked isn't true!

And the reason why ANY christan should do good, (which in God's way ISN'T just being a good boy or girl but to do as he and Jesus commanded ,(James 4:4 , 1John 2:15,16 , Pro. 4:14 , Matt. 7:21), is because we might live to see the end of satan's system ,(2Cor. 4:4 and John 12:31), is because though MANY are taught ,EVERY human dies, that's NOT... true!. MANY humans WILL STILL be living when the end comes ,JUST LIKE IN NOAH'S DAY, (Luke 17:26,27). also see...

Luke 23:30 Then shall they begin to say to the mountains, Fall on us; and to the hills, Cover us, (many won’t want to deal with Jehovah God’s anger). See… (Isa. 2:19 And they shall go into the holes of the rocks, and into the caves of the earth, for fear of the LORD, and for the glory of his majesty, when he ariseth to shake terribly the earth). People will try to hide from Jehovah’s destruction. And (Rev. 6:16,17 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand)? This is why we want to NOT just be good, but live a righteous life. Doing Jesus FATHER'S will and try follow in Jesus steps ,(John 17:16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world). And NOT do what we WANT to do, (Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me). peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity