Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 05:06 AM

668 posts, read 690,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Do you go to church?

Where did you get all this stuff?

As fort Mary: She is not a goddess. She is simply the mother of Jesus, who according to the trinity is God. Those that pray to Mary should know they are indirectly praying to God. She is just a intermediary.

Have you ever been to a Catholic mass?
Jesus did not teach us to pray to his earthly mother of his body but only to His Heavenly Father. That is not Mary.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
That is not Mary!

I have witnessed many catholic mass. I recall one with a female witch doctor with a doll she was using to "bless" people as they went by after eating the wafer. It was somewhere in South America. They had brought in the local religion when they went in the region to help bring in the locals. I think this is common in the RCC, is it not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 05:46 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,335,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
Jesus did not teach us to pray to his earthly mother of his body but only to His Heavenly Father. That is not Mary.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
That is not Mary!

I have witnessed many catholic mass. I recall one with a female witch doctor with a doll she was using to "bless" people as they went by after eating the wafer. It was somewhere in South America. They had brought in the local religion when they went in the region to help bring in the locals. I think this is common in the RCC, is it not?
Female witch doctor? Wow! Ha, ha.

The question is: Do they pray to Mary during mass?

You need to attend mass more often. Do you even go to church?

Old 01-02-2014, 08:32 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,585,753 times
Look, in addition to everything I've said and others who know Mary was Perpetually Virgin
have posted in this thread, consider that Mary's flesh IS Christ's flesh... and as Christ's
very flesh was Sinless, Holy, and Divine, so, by a Singular Grace of God, was Mary's.
She is the ANTI-EVE, who said YES to the Father and the Spirit, HIS WILL be DONE,
not "my will" as in Eve. She is in Genesis and Revelation. She is the Ark of the New Covenant. She is the woman who crushes the serpent. She is the woman with the stars of heaven in her cloak, she is...
-----------------
Lord, have mercy.

Christ, have mercy.

Lord, have mercy.

Christ, hear us.
Christ, graciously hear us.

God, the Father of heaven,
Have mercy on us.

God the Son, Redeemer of the world,
Have mercy on us.

God the Holy Spirit,
Have mercy on us.

Holy Trinity, one God.
Have mercy on us.

Response for the following: Pray for us.

Holy Mary
Holy Mother of God
Holy Virgin of virgin,
Mother of Christ
Mother of the Church
Mother of divine grace
Mother most pure
Mother most chaste
Mother inviolate
Mother undefiled
Mother most amiable
Mother most admirable
Mother of good counsel
Mother of our Creator
Mother of our Savior
Virgin most prudent
Virgin most venerable
Virgin most renowned
Virgin most powerful
Virgin most merciful
Virgin most faithful
Mirror of justice
Seat of wisdom
Cause of our joy
Spiritual vessel
Vessel of honor
Singular vessel of devotion
Mystical rose
Tower of David
Tower of ivory
House of gold,
Ark of the covenant
Gate of heaven
Morning star
Health of the sick
Refuge of sinners
Comforter of the afflicted
Help of Christians
Queen of angels
Queen of patriarchs
Queen of prophets
Queen of apostles
Queen of martyrs
Queen of confessors
Queen of virgins
Queen of all saints
Queen conceived without original sin
Queen assumed into heaven
Queen of the most holy Rosary
Queen of families
Queen of peace

Lamb of God, You take away sins of the world;
Spare us, O Lord.

Lamb of God, You take away the sins of the world;
Graciously hear us, O Lord.

Lamb of God, Your take away the sins of the world;
Have mercy on us.

V. Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God.

R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:45 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
It's not that it's silent. It's just not clear.
The Bible says NOTHING about her remaining a virgin. I call that "silent".

Old 01-02-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Catholics do not follow Sola Scriptura.
I realize that.
Quote:
The CC is guided by the Holy Spirit and if the Church says Mary remained a virgin then it means the Church made this decision guided by the Holy Spirit.

For Protestants it all ended after the Apostles were gone. OTHO, the CC remains alive under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
The problem, of course, is when the RCC directly contradicts scripture--something we supposedly agree is God-breathed. The apostles -- which you claim is your church's first leaders -- say she had children, and at least one of them was the brother of Jesus.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:48 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:

Whoa. If you think that's "common" you need to learn a LOT more about the Catholic Church and Mass.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:17 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,335,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I realize that.

The problem, of course, is when the RCC directly contradicts scripture--something we supposedly agree is God-breathed. The apostles -- which you claim is your church's first leaders -- say she had children, and at least one of them was the brother of Jesus.
Vizio:

This discussion is within the context of religion: In Catholicism, the NT is just a synopsis and there is much more to Christianity. I am certain at some point you knew this.

Therefore, not finding something in the Bible is moot. The RCC is the Church of Jesus and guided by the Holy Spirit to make proclamations that add to the gospel.

I can see why a Sola Scriptura person would only buy what is written down on the NT. I get that and within that religious belief system Mary is no big deal. I see the logic of Protestants in this issue.

All those brothers of Jesus are supposed to be step brothers. They did not follow Jesus when he was put on the cross and they certainly did not look after Mary.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Vizio:

This discussion is within the context of religion: In Catholicism, the NT is just a synopsis and there is much more to Christianity. I am certain at some point you knew this.

Therefore, not finding something in the Bible is moot. The RCC is the Church of Jesus and guided by the Holy Spirit to make proclamations that add to the gospel.

I can see why a Sola Scriptura person would only buy what is written down on the NT. I get that and within that religious belief system Mary is no big deal. I see the logic of Protestants in this issue.
I get that. But the ONLY way you can come with the Catholic understanding of her perpetual virginity is to make up the story. There literally is NO history of it. On the contrary, we see a LOT of evidence in the NT to believe otherwise.
Quote:
All those brothers of Jesus are supposed to be step brothers. They did not follow Jesus when he was put on the cross and they certainly did not look after Mary.
Why do you bother with the Bible at all? When the rubber meets the road, you toss it out in lieu of Catholic teaching.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:53 AM

668 posts, read 690,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Whoa. If you think that's "common" you need to learn a LOT more about the Catholic Church and Mass.
So it's not common for the RCC to accept local religious practice into the church?

Old 01-02-2014, 10:12 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,527,201 times
Quote:
So it's not common for the RCC to accept local religious practice into the church?
I think it's called syncretism, or something along those lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity