Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 07:20 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Actually, I deleted that post. But since you replied before I did so . . . the mark of the beast has nothing to do with the claims of the OP, but Revelation 13:16-17 means exactly what it says. During the Tribulation, the beast who is the man of lawlessness mentioned in 2 Thess. 2:3-9 will require that a mark be placed on the forehead or on the right hand of anyone who wants to buy or sell. And it's very literal.

But if, and you don't believe it, that is no concern of mine. And I truly do not care.
A mindset that desires to rule-over others?

Think about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 08:53 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Well, isn't it a contradiction to have Jesus and "Santa" in the same celebration?

Old 12-27-2013, 10:33 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Well, isn't it a contradiction to have Jesus and "Santa" in the same celebration?
One of my coworkers has a Santa figure standing next to her poster of Ganesha. Now there's an interesting multicultural pairing.

At least "Santa" is loosely based on a Christian saint.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:39 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
You'd think if there was one day in the year when Christians could put aside their differences and celebrate their oneness, it would be Christmas.

Yet there always seems to be a faction determined to find the dark lining in silver clouds.
A lot of people have a need to be right. Those are usually the same people who have a need to tell other people how to live. Christianity gives those people the chance to do both. And in Jesus' name! Perfect storm.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:58 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times
It is strange how twisted everything is. We are told to preach the gospel of Salvation through JESUS not the birth of Jesus.

I personally see Christmas, Santa Clause, etc as a MOCKERY of God in JESUS Christ. Mocking His free gift of Salvation ultimately. I think the foolishness of it all turns people away from JESUS Christ ultimately as they see the empty tradition passed down. Praise JESUS as we shove our faces full with gluttonous practice rejoicing with Wine and Presents for one another embracing the materialism of life serving self. What a SAD witness of Christianity. It's a blasphemous practice really when you think about it. As if God is delighted giving Him lip service in disobedience to what He says. I think it is SAD so many professing ministers of JESUS actually believe that Christmas was His birthday, born in a manger in the dead of Winter, today ignorant of the Pagan Practices historically identical to this that God expressed HATES.

Oh well, what a terrifying day of Judgment that is coming. We are ALL so blind. If we see, than it truly is because of NO MERIT we have. We are desperately LOST without JESUS, and if walk in Darkness we may just find ourselves JUST AS BLIND as the others walking DIRECTLY TOWARD the Great White Throne Judgment.

God help us. << Really.. not saying this in some tone of mockery like so many others and me as well at one time. We desperately need to repent and get right with God receiving forgiveness through Jesus Christ. We certainly have NO HOPE outside of His forgiveness.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:18 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The superstitious mind cannot overcome the belief that assigns import to external objects and rituals. The idea that we decide what we are celebrating by what we INTEND to celebrate is completely foreign to them. Truly sad!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
It is strange how twisted everything is. We are told to preach the gospel of Salvation through JESUS not the birth of Jesus.

I personally see Christmas, Santa Clause, etc as a MOCKERY of God in JESUS Christ. Mocking His free gift of Salvation ultimately. I think the foolishness of it all turns people away from JESUS Christ ultimately as they see the empty tradition passed down. Praise JESUS as we shove our faces full with gluttonous practice rejoicing with Wine and Presents for one another embracing the materialism of life serving self. What a SAD witness of Christianity. It's a blasphemous practice really when you think about it. As if God is delighted giving Him lip service in disobedience to what He says. I think it is SAD so many professing ministers of JESUS actually believe that Christmas was His birthday, born in a manger in the dead of Winter, today ignorant of the Pagan Practices historically identical to this that God expressed HATES.

Oh well, what a terrifying day of Judgment that is coming. We are ALL so blind. If we see, than it truly is because of NO MERIT we have. We are desperately LOST without JESUS, and if walk in Darkness we may just find ourselves JUST AS BLIND as the others walking DIRECTLY TOWARD the Great White Throne Judgment.

God help us. << Really.. not saying this in some tone of mockery like so many others and me as well at one time. We desperately need to repent and get right with God receiving forgiveness through Jesus Christ. We certainly have NO HOPE outside of His forgiveness.
This is a perfect example. If it is a mockery to you then don't celebrate it. Simple. If you did celebrate it thinking it was a mockery . . . THEN it WOULD be a mockery. That is the point. What each person THINKS and INTENDS determines what it IS.

I completely disagree with you that we are wretches and incapable of Good. Our whole purpose is to learn to CHOOSE Good over Evil in "love of God and each other." If we were incapable of it . . . THAT truly would have been an imperfect and worthless creation by God. But God does not create junk! Christ was the perfect "first fruit" . . . but we are supposed to follow.

We are not supposed to try being good because God will punish us . . . that would be failing ourselves, our brother Jesus and God. We should try to be good because that is what we are meant to be and we will feel right with ourselves and God. Being good is its own reward . . . it reflects the level of spiritual development and maturity our Spirit has achieved. I am certain there is a minimum level of maturity we must achieve in this life to be successfully reborn as Spirit after our death.

This life prepares us for the next. That is why we are cautioned to be separate from this world. Everything of this world is temporary. We cannot help but be in it . . . but we CAN choose not to be of it. We tend to affect only our own circle and within it we can have some impact. Love is the great healer and is not diminished when it is spread. It grows and is all we will take with us into the next life. Produce as much as you can while here as Christ instructed His disciples to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity