Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 01:51 AM

34 posts, read 34,201 times

Advertisements

New to this website...It seems like I should be able to find some great answers here regarding my question. About 3 months ago, I started working at a hopsital. Part of my job entails seeing people who have deceased. Ever since, I have start having "what if" kind of thoughts such as, What if there is No God, What if after physical death is over, there is no spiritual life. I cannot even process The thought of not being conscious, or "in existence." Along with this "anxiety", I have experienced questions such as What if the Bible isn't true? Why do fossills say we are billions of years old when we are only "2k" years old. I also get very confused as to why Christianity is the primary religion, although there are hundreds of religions worldwide. Why is there so many problems in the world...These questions are seemingly brought up by the fact Science is always delving into natural explanations, while putting God on the backburner. I also question if Jesus was even real. I really can't pinpoint where all of these doubts are coming from, and I'm not sure if this is part of the spirtual journey of each person or not. Another big question that plagues me is I have tried reading some apologetic books, as well as reading the bible, however it seems like although my thoughts and fears have subsided alittle bit, they are still constantly in the back of my mind. I really don't even know where to begin to combat my problem. Any help would be great. PS..A little background..I was baptized, and communed in a Lutheran Church. Although I have been having some of the doubts listed above, I still do consider myself a Christian...A christian whose faith is struggling, and needs both help and prayer Thanks All!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 03:58 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRSTL13 View Post
New to this website...It seems like I should be able to find some great answers here regarding my question. About 3 months ago, I started working at a hopsital. Part of my job entails seeing people who have deceased. Ever since, I have start having "what if" kind of thoughts such as, What if there is No God, What if after physical death is over, there is no spiritual life. I cannot even process The thought of not being conscious, or "in existence." Along with this "anxiety", I have experienced questions such as What if the Bible isn't true? Why do fossills say we are billions of years old when we are only "2k" years old. I also get very confused as to why Christianity is the primary religion, although there are hundreds of religions worldwide. Why is there so many problems in the world...These questions are seemingly brought up by the fact Science is always delving into natural explanations, while putting God on the backburner. I also question if Jesus was even real. I really can't pinpoint where all of these doubts are coming from, and I'm not sure if this is part of the spirtual journey of each person or not. Another big question that plagues me is I have tried reading some apologetic books, as well as reading the bible, however it seems like although my thoughts and fears have subsided alittle bit, they are still constantly in the back of my mind. I really don't even know where to begin to combat my problem. Any help would be great. PS..A little background..I was baptized, and communed in a Lutheran Church. Although I have been having some of the doubts listed above, I still do consider myself a Christian...A christian whose faith is struggling, and needs both help and prayer Thanks All!
Believe me your not the first and will not be the last being where you're at right now. I respect people like yourself because you're being openly honest( albeit on a forum)about what many themselves hide. I personally believe if your desire is to have all your doubts and fears put to rest, I believe that you can. I also believe in the power of Jesus' words of ask and it shall be given seek and you will find and knock and the door will be opened. God knows your desire and I believe the desire you have to have questions answered is desire from God, so you're half way there already. Seek him with all your heart and you will find him. He's not looking for you to get right with him, he's looking for you to find him.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:21 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
A lot of these unbelieving ideas and changing truth and undermining of Jesus come from the spirit of the false prophet spirit which are in the earth , because people do believe these dark spirits and are possessed by them ................. Best to establish a standard through Jesus Spirit so to resist these ideas when they come , as Christians are called to cast down imagination which are discerned to of God and His plan ................. See people pass from this world because their time has come , or they had no protection from God by faith , or they passed by mistake to God by idle in prayer , or they pass because of discord in they lives which invite the wrong spirit ............. See we don`t blame God as He needs conditions for Him to help and bring His plan of protection for people , and these conditions are faith, hope, love, charity, peace, and a repentant soul

Old 12-28-2013, 07:05 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,527,370 times
I'd like to know a little more of your Christian testimony. Where were you at in your life before trusting in Jesus Christ? How did you come to know the Gospel and trust Jesus? What difference has trusting Jesus made in your life? Don't think of it as prying or a homework assignment. It may help you with your apologetics study and help me learn more about your Christian side. Thank you for taking the time.

Doubt is not uncommon. Many of the greatest theologians had doubt from time to time. There's a book I've recommended by Presbyterian Pastor John Ortberg called Faith & Doubt. In the book he writes about his own struggles with doubt. It's available in several formats, audio, paperback, e-book. It's an easy reading style with plenty of down to earth stories. No, I don't get a royalty so I'll finish my plug.

I've said enough and look forward to your response.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:21 AM

668 posts, read 690,346 times
Welcome and rest assured we all have doubts and questions at times in our lives. I have delt with most of what you have listed at one time or another.

Don't let "science" fool you. What I mean by that is that the dating of things is not an absolute science and is subject to personal prejudices. There is a much or more scientific evidence for a young earth but's it not as popular because most so-called scientist hate God. In fact they even admit they reject scientific evidence that supports anything that would lead to the fact that God exist. I suggest you take a look at the scientific evidence for a young earth. It is eye opening and to me is overwhelming.

You don't need question if Jesus existed. It's a historical fact with much evidence out side the bible to support it. What I had to deal with was deciding if I accepted that Jesus was who He claimed to be. This is more a matter of faith for me. I have settled it in my heart and mind but it's something we all must do ourselves. I suggest you spend time in prayer and read the bible. I know that sounds cliche but for me it works.

For me the question of the spirit living outside the body is confirmed in the death of the body itself. Doctors can do many thing with the body but there is this something they cannot control. The part of us that makes us alive. The spirit. Once it departs the body, the body is dead. That life force departs and they can keep the blood pumping, the air intake going and most of the body functioning but they cannot put the spirit back into the body once it departs.

I don't know if any of this will help you but know you are not alone in your questioning. And God does love you enough to help you know the truth. Keep seeking and listening to God.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:56 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
I just want to point out that there are m any many Christians that do not believe in the "Young earth" Theology in the least. I'm very much the fundy and a staunch reformer to boot and I don't accept the young earth understanding of the bible. I'm also not a big fan of apologetics, I believe that faith and belief is a gift to us from God and not something we agree on or accept out of any actual evidence, no matter how convincing that evidence might be. Remember that Jesus said when speaking about the condition of Man's heart, "They will not believe even if they SEE a dead man rise from the grave".

I agree with one of the other posters that the OP is under a spiritual attack from the god of this earth and his forces. Resist them in Jesus' name and they will flee from you. They will come back but the blood of Christ is a inexhaustible resource.

If you truly want to increase your faith and to banish fears and doubts about God's plans for you then there are a few things that you can do that will greatly help you in this. Firstly, you need to find a good bible believing church and become a part of the life of that fellowship. Attend the bible studies and prayer groups that are available. Join in with the social things the people of the church do together. Study the bible and use good study guides and commentaries to assist you in your understanding. Pray to the Lord as much as you possibly can. He is always with us and we can be in constant communication with Him.

Realize that you are not alone with your doubts, fears and lack of faith. Remember that Jesus said, if we had faith the size of a mustard seed we could move a mountain. That puts all of us on pretty much the same level as I don't see to many mountains moving. Perhaps if we would all put our faith together we would have enough power to move a hill or two.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:37 AM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Keep asking questions... and remember our finite intellect can only bring us to the edge of human understanding. God doesn't want you to check your brain at the door but to remain a seeker in all things. When you can see beyond what eyes can see and hear His voice, in a non audible way, your experiencing faith in a infinite way.

Your as right as rain in your openness... so be ready to receive. The real gift of Christmas is on the way!!

Old 12-28-2013, 09:00 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,775 times
We all have doubts from time to time. Especially if you were brought up Ina church. Many of the church teachings are off base with the bible. Religion puts God in a box and tells him to stay in it. Open that box, and God will be real to you. Let Him out of the box.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:54 AM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRSTL13 View Post
Hi CRSTL13. Faith is not blind but is based on knowledge of the person or thing toward which faith is directed. Nor is faith static. It strengthens when fed and weakens when neglected. Believers in Christ are exhorted to grow in the knowledge of Jesus Christ.
2 Peter 3:8 but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.
This can only be done by studying and learning the Word of God under the filling of the Holy Spirit which is the status of the believer when he has named or acknowledged his known sins to God as per 1 John 1:9.
1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
We are commanded to be filled with the Spirit.
Ephesians 5:18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit.
What ties 1 John 1:9 and Ephesians 5:18 together is that both verses are given within the context of walking. Walking in the light, walking in the Spirit.

And so you might want to make sure that you are naming your sins to God so that you are filled with the Spirit, under the control of the Spirit, instead of under the control of your old sin nature. If you are in a constant state of carnality your faith is bound to suffer.

You say that you question whether Jesus was even real. Most scholars and historians, whether they are Christian or not believe that Jesus historically existed. Now this is with reference to His historical existence as opposed to whether He is what the Bible says about Him, but most scholars do not doubt that He was an historical person.
In a 2011 review of the state of modern scholarship, Bart Ehrman (a secular agnostic) wrote: "He certainly existed, as virtually every competent scholar of antiquity, Christian or non-Christian, agrees" B. Ehrman, 2011 Forged : writing in the name of God ISBN 978-0-06-207863-6. page 285

Michael Grant (a classicist) states that "In recent years, 'no serious scholar has ventured to postulate the non historicity of Jesus' or at any rate very few, and they have not succeeded in disposing of the much stronger, indeed very abundant, evidence to the contrary." in Jesus by Michael Grant 2004 ISBN 1898799881 page 200

Richard A. Burridge states: "There are those who argue that Jesus is a figment of the Church’s imagination, that there never was a Jesus at all. I have to say that I do not know any respectable critical scholar who says that any more." in Jesus Now and Then by Richard A. Burridge and Graham Gould (Apr 1, 2004) ISBN 0802809774 page 34

Robert E. Van Voorst Jesus Outside the New Testament: An Introduction to the Ancient Evidence Eerdmans Publishing, 2000. ISBN 0-8028-4368-9 page 16 states: "biblical scholars and classical historians regard theories of non-existence of Jesus as effectively refuted"

James D. G. Dunn "Paul's understanding of the death of Jesus" in Sacrifice and Redemption edited by S. W. Sykes (Dec 3, 2007) Cambridge University Press ISBN 052104460X pages 35-36 states that the theories of non-existence of Jesus are "a thoroughly dead thesis"

The Gospels and Jesus by Graham Stanton, 1989 ISBN 0192132415 Oxford University Press, page 145 states : "Today nearly all historians, whether Christians or not, accept that Jesus existed".
The references above are taken from Historicity of Jesus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia 'Virtually all modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed, and most biblical scholars and classical historians see the theories of his non-existence as effectively refuted.[1][2][3][8][9][10]' <---Move your cursor over the numbers in the site to see the quotes that are given above.

Read this as well. What Historical Evidence is there to Support the Existence of Jesus Christ?

And Jesus IS exactly who the Bible says He is. He is one of the Persons of the Triune Godhead, and became man in order to die for the sins of the world.

You say that you also question whether the Bible is true. My answer to you is to do a thorough study on Biblical prophecy concentrating on the prophecies that are demonstrable as having been historically fulfilled. For instance, the prophecies in the Book of Daniel. Please read the following article.

https://www.christiancourier.com/art...book-of-daniel

As for the age of the earth, the Bible does not say that the earth is only six or so thousand years old. And I have never believed in young earth creationism. The events in Genesis 1:2b and following, including the creation of man took place around that time, but original creation - Genesis 1:1 took place at some undefined time in the past, however long or short that period of time may be. The earth may very well be the 4.5 billion years of age that geologists date it to be. But again, man was specially created by God just as Genesis states.

I hope I said something that helps.

Last edited by Michael Way; 12-28-2013 at 11:19 AM..

Old 12-28-2013, 11:42 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times
One thing that amazed me when I received Christ passing from death to life was the immense amount of information SUPPORTING Christianity in Science. The first deception that needs to be broken is the delineation between Science (what is observed and concluded upon, and Faith). Once one analyzes what is going on, the Evolutionists have defined their "Faith" as "Science". So they have worked to re-define definitions, but all one has to do is ask a couple of questions:

1) Has life from nonlife (ie abiogenesis EVER been observed?) If the answer is NO, which it is, to build a conclusion based on this is based on FAITH NOT SCIENCE.

2) Has a Cycle EVER been OBSERVED to evolve? The answer is clearly NO, yet it is ASSUMED in the evolutionary model as TRUTH/Science. What we OBSERVE is an interdependent CYCLE which MUST have ALL COMPONENTS working in unison to function. Just like a machine. Creation is thus the only rationale conclusion based on the evidence, but it is still a Faith-based conclusion just as is Evolution.

There are A LOT of other examples. The reason why there is, is because everything the Bible says is true. Sinful Man; however, is desperately seeking to discredit the truth because of the Power of Sin and the Fact that there WILL be an accountability for our actions. People with a lot of money are willing to spend that money to have their gospel of unbelief preached to the masses.

The more you do honest research, the more how you will see how Creation completely blows AWAY the concept of Evolution by looking at the evidence.

What happens when you throw a dead cat into the woods? A fossil right?

No the thing DECOMPOSES. To ASSUME that it would become a Fossil is a POOR CONCLUSION based on what is OBSERVED. A World-wide flood; however, with billions of tons of pressure pressing organisms against stone impressing their image is somehow a foolish conclusion to come to? Especially with Fossils being found upon Mountain Tops?

This ultimately is a battle of the minds, and those powers in place ultimately believe in HUMANISM, so they are working diligently to get you to believe this as well. To do this, EVERYONE must believe that WE ARE EVOLVING AND THAT THIS IS A SCIENTIFIC FACT.

In reality, we are DE-VOLVING. The Law of Entropy, decay, etc suggest everything is winding DOWN NOT UP. The perceived "force" of Natural Selection is a myth as we OBSERVE that genes are SELECTED not CREATED.

Evolution is just one great big LIE authored by the Father of Lies himself to deceive the masses into believing we are going to evolve and be "like god", just like in Genesis 3. And so many are believing it, ultimately unto their own damnation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity