Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 09:05 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times

Advertisements

I had someone tell me yesterday that since the biblical new years doesn't start until the spring, that New Years Eve Celebrations Dec 31 has ties to paganism. While I Know we are on a different calendar that was was originally around, how can going to church for a watch night service have anything to do with paganism?

If you are not getting drunk, participating in lewd behavior, or having wild relations with strangers, how can bringing in the New Years on the current calendar we have possibly have any ties to paganism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 10:42 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Strictly speaking, I guess they tie New Years eve into Paganism because it is not a Christian holiday.

I would not sweat it. Sounds like your plans are to Honor and Worship the Lord.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:10 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,018,190 times
Means that New Years Eve will be the end of the year 2013 Anno Domini or A.D. or year of the Lord or year of the dominion of the Lord , to the next year of 2014 A.D. or year of the Lord , see Jesus was traditionally born of the first year of the calendar 0 A.D. , and that is indeed not Pagan

Old 12-30-2013, 04:37 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I had someone tell me yesterday that since the biblical new years doesn't start until the spring, that New Years Eve Celebrations Dec 31 has ties to paganism. While I Know we are on a different calendar that was was originally around, how can going to church for a watch night service have anything to do with paganism?

If you are not getting drunk, participating in lewd behavior, or having wild relations with strangers, how can bringing in the New Years on the current calendar we have possibly have any ties to paganism?
If you are a Jew, Christian, or Muslim you are not a Pagan. Let it go and breath easy.

pa·gan [pey-guhn] Show IPA
noun
one of a people or community observing a polytheistic religion, as the ancient Romans and Greeks. Synonyms: polytheist.
a person who is not a Christian, Jew, or Muslim. Synonyms: heathen, gentile; idolator; nonbeliever.
an irreligious or hedonistic person.
a person deemed savage or uncivilized and morally deficient.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:54 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post

There is no correlation. At least not in the minds of reasonable people.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:37 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,373 times
Crap like "you're a pagan if you celebrate NYE" makes me think all the adults have left C-D

Me thinks I'm joining them.....

Old 01-01-2014, 11:47 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
From what I read in the Watchtower,Jesus didn't command his followers to celebrate New Years; also,New Years Eve was made a holiday because it replaced the honoring of Janus,an old Roman god.

In other words,some early Christians still wanted the celebrations they practiced while still pagan ,but once they turned Christian,they still needed something to celebrate

Old 01-01-2014, 02:44 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
From what I read in the Watchtower,Jesus didn't command his followers to celebrate New Years; also,New Years Eve was made a holiday because it replaced the honoring of Janus,an old Roman god.

In other words,some early Christians still wanted the celebrations they practiced while still pagan ,but once they turned Christian,they still needed something to celebrate
If it's in the Watchtower, it's gotta be true!

Jesus never said anything about the Fourth of July, President's day or Thanksgiving. Are these Pagan holidays?

Old 01-03-2014, 06:46 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,851 times
You celebrate Christmas and that is a pagan holiday and all Christmas decorations are pagan.
So why worry about New Year's Eve?

Old 01-04-2014, 05:46 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,963,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
You celebrate Christmas and that is a pagan holiday and all Christmas decorations are pagan.
So why worry about New Year's Eve?
First-century Christians did Not celebrate Christmas. Only non-Jews celebrated a person's birth.

Not Scripture, but Julius Caesar established January 1st as New Year's Day, the day the Romans dedicated to Janus the false god of gates, doors, and beginnings.

Romans 13 v 13 counsels to stay away from the behavior associated with New Year's celebrations.
Let us walk decently as in the daytime, not in wild parties [ revelries/ shameful conduct ] and drunkenness, not in immoral conduct and brazen conduct, not in strife and jealousy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity