Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 09:39 PM

670 posts, read 814,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555
Do not attribute moral evil to God, who in righteousness executed judgment on the nations which were rampant with demon possession and idol worship.
I refuse to worship any being who thinks it's alright to commit genocide against people who merely refused to worship him. Where's your evidence that they where demon possessed and even if they where surely it is not outside of your gods power to drive demons from people with out bloodshed?

So do you not believe in freedom of religion?
The Pagans I've spoken with don't believe their idols are the gods themselves as the bible inaccurately claims, the idols are merely representations of their gods whom they don't believe to have forged with their hands.

Quote:
The judgment which God will pour out on the earth in the Great Tribulation which is to come will surpass the judgments recorded in the Old Testament which you find so abhorrent.
I do not call the horrors which will take place in the future judgments, but disasters.

Should an army rise filled with hate and an intent to suppress religious freedom, they will be met with armies who fight for justice.

Quote:
And just who do you think it is who will initiate those judgments in the Great Tribulation?
The disasters and confusion that will be authored will be by the hands of the devil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 09:42 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,891,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
We Jews have the Torah
From what I have seen, the Torah translation of the first sentence in Numbers 31 is the same as the OT version.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael17 View Post
I refuse to worship any being who thinks it's alright to commit genocide against people who merely refused to worship him.
Very simple and profound statement. I wonder if anyone could disagree with you.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:59 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,728,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Over in the Religion forum, one thread is discussing if Jesus qualifies as the Jewish Messiah. This post appeared:

Do any of you agree with this?

I always thought you Christians believe you worship the same God as the Jews, but this poster seems to disagree. I think he has a point when he says the God of the New Testament appears to be much nicer than the God of the Old Testament.
Ultimately, the God of the OT and NT are one and the same.

There are a number of reasons that one might say they are not the same. Within Christianity, there are a ton of Trinitarian purists. Any Christian who fails to tow the line on acceptance of the Trinity as the only correct description of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost are "worshiping a different God" or "believing in a different Jesus" and are therefore "not Christians."

The same logic holds true when comparing the God of Judaism with the God of Christianity. The very insertion of the doctrine of the Trinity would be seen by the Jews as a radical modification of Yaweh, transforming the God they had always worshiped into a polytheist abomination -- and therefore Christians are not worshiping the same God at all.

As for Azrael17's reasoning for them not being the same God, their logic is extremely flawed. The Old Testament is quite obviously a summary of a summary of a summary. We only have a tiny fraction of the entire story in virtually all cases. This leaves us grabbing at straws and guessing why God did certain things. If we had the whole story, I'm sure we'd hear a lot less about how the God of the Old Testament was this big tyrannical meanie. Also consider that Christians point to Jesus own prophecy that Jerusalem would be destroyed in the Jews would suffer horribly in the process. That prophecy of doom and gloom came from the same God as the OT God who destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah. So it would seem that God had a hand in the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD. This means his logic for disconnecting the god of OT and NT doesn't make sense.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:10 PM

33,220 posts, read 26,406,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider's Pantheon View Post
lol. The Bible makes God out to be FAR more evil than Hitler and Charles Manson combined! And Jesus performed miracles on YHWH's behalf! The slur on God is the Bible!
Quote:
I refuse to worship any being who thinks it's alright to commit genocide against people who merely refused to worship him. Where's your evidence that they where demon possessed and even if they where surely it is not outside of your gods power to drive demons from people with out bloodshed?

So do you not believe in freedom of religion?
The Pagans I've spoken with don't believe their idols are the gods themselves as the bible inaccurately claims, the idols are merely representations of their gods whom they don't believe to have forged with their hands.

I do not call the horrors which will take place in the future judgments, but disasters.

Should an army rise filled with hate and an intent to suppress religious freedom, they will be met with armies who fight for justice.

The disasters and confusion that will be authored will be by the hands of the devil.
Quote:
Very simple and profound statement. I wonder if anyone could disagree with you.
You people take it upon yourselves to judge God. But it is God who will judge you. And I will stay out of the way and leave that in God's hands.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You people take it upon yourselves to judge God. But it is God who will judge you. And I will leave that in God's hands.

I don't judge the Creator.
I judge Yahweh.

It is said: "All shall be held accountable for their deeds when the time comes." - this does not exclude gods in my opinion even Yahweh will be judged.

We where given the ability to reason so that we could realize what is right and wrong and make judgments for ourselves, not so that we could follow traditions taught by men nor rules of old set in stone.
Had our creator planed for us not to question or judge things, she/he would not have chosen to give us the ability to think for ourselves.

"Test every thing, hold onto the good, and stay away from every kind of evil."

May peace and love be with you, Always.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:05 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,435 times
There is/was/has been only one God. He is the God who created Adam and Eve; gave us the 10 Commandments and gave us his only son.

One and the same God!

Old 01-01-2014, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
There is/was/has been only one God. He is the God who created Adam and Eve; gave us the 10 Commandments and gave us his only son.

One and the same God!
There's no logical reason for a god to be jealous of gods who don't exist.
Yahweh was jealous of other gods getting worship, he even challeged them.
The Egyptians even turned their rods to snakes, granted Yahweh did the same and had his snake eat theirs an almost symbolic sign of the Imperialism he would later employ.

Archaeological evidence points to the existince of Polytheism existing before Monotheism and within the cultures El or Yahweh is claimed to have come from. Asherah who is mentioned in the Old Testament was wife to the deity of El who was most likely also Yahweh.

Also the word Elohim can be used to mean gods that word is often used for the hebrew god.
In Genesis the Hebrew god uses words like "our" and "us" when speaking of its self.

Monotheism was some thing that developed later than Polytheism.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:52 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 830,351 times
Quote:
Over in the Religion forum, one thread is discussing if Jesus qualifies as the Jewish Messiah. This post appeared:

Do any of you agree with this?

I always thought you Christians believe you worship the same God as the Jews, but this poster seems to disagree. I think he has a point when he says the God of the New Testament appears to be much nicer than the God of the Old Testament.
First of all the "he" is a "she". She usual refers to God also as a "she". But hear she says "him/her" and "he", that is new. She thinks that she is the recreation of a fallen angel or something like that, so you can imagine where her revelations come from. She may call herself a Christian, but in no way represents christian faith.
Jesus Christ is the Jewish Messiah, the Son of the living God (Mat 16:16). His Father is the God of the OT as He is the God of the NT. But for some Christians who believe in only a god of love (no judgement, no hell) they think there is a different God in the OT, but that is not scriptural.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
We were given the ability to reason so that we could realize what is right and wrong and make judgments for ourselves, not so that we could follow traditions taught by men nor rules of old set in stone.
Had our creator planed for us not to question or judge things, she/he would not have chosen to give us the ability to think for ourselves.
Azrael, you make a lot of sense.

Even though I am an Atheist, I often tell Theists, "Your god didn't give you a brain just so other people could tell you what to think."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity