U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2007, 12:25 AM

2,739 posts, read 7,641,558 times

Advertisements

Do you have a special place you go to for prayer...where you can be alone...just you and God? Here is a picture of ours. My wife and I decided about a year ago to build a little prayer chapel. It is a little 8 X 10 out-building, on the edge of the property, overlooking a creek. What it does is give a quiet place to pray, away from the blaring TV, radio, yapping dogs, phone, and other distracting household activity. There is nothing inside except a couple of benches, a small table to hold a Bible & communion, and a back-lit stained glass cross on the back wall. The chapel is not finished, it still needs paint, inside and out. We like to keep the light lit in the steeple, to remind us of our mission in this life: to be a light shining in the darkness, a witness to a lost world...
Four people would pack the place full, but perhaps 6 could crowd in there, but it would be "standing room only".
Yes, that is snow falling...

Bud

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/KL7EU/Chapel-1.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by BudinAk; 11-27-2007 at 12:39 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 12:58 AM

2,800 posts, read 9,100,309 times
That is soooo cool! So beautiful!!!!

I usually pray in bed before I go to sleep. It's the only time I seem to get UNINTERRUPTED time to myself. Too many people in my household for privacy.

We have a sun deck in the back yard, I am thinking that might be a great place.

It IS good to have your own private place...I need to start doing this.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:27 AM

18,434 posts, read 28,520,978 times
That is beautiful!

When I talk to the Lord, or go to Him in prayer, there is no special place, sometimes just driving down the road. Whenever I am alone. Sometimes, when I am not, LOL.

He is with me always, so I know I can go to him anytime, anyplace.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:31 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,027,154 times
Oh my . . . I'm speechless! Your prayer chapel is so totally cool! I'm trying really hard not to be envious.

When I need to be absolutely alone with God, I usually wait for everyone else to go to bed. Then, I'm in the living room if my intention is prayer or at the dining room table for studying purposes. During the day, I hide myself in the den, closing the door to keep out both dogs and people.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:48 AM

8,668 posts, read 19,914,691 times
Default To the recliner...

That is cool to have a special place to pray, Bud! (I can't look at the pic till I'm at home. At work all I can see is a red X)

As for me, I generally go to my husband's forest green recliner! ( I don't recline in it!) I don't know why especiallly but that has become my "prayer chair" and has for the past several years!

Old 11-27-2007, 10:13 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,303,195 times
Absolutely beautiful, Bud & Sunshine!!!

I pray everywhere and anywhere. I pray alot right here with my cdforum family. There have been several times in my life where my biggest need was to be at my church. I feel very close to God when I am there; even if the doors are locked and I am just on the grounds. Also in some of my darkest hours I have met God while on my knees.

I have always wanted to have a specific prayer 'station' in my home...one day this will happen. Nothing fancy, just a kneeling bench and a place to lay the Bible and other books of remembrance.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:55 AM

13,459 posts, read 21,199,786 times
Bud that is such a beautiful picture..The snow, the steeple and your faith and love that shines through the light in the steeple..God bless you and "Sunshine"...

Old 11-27-2007, 11:00 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,130,550 times
Wow, Bud, that would be so amazing to have something like that. I can only imagine how peaceful it would be. I'm with Blueberry, trying to not be too envious.

I usually pray in a chair in my living room. It is the quietest room in the house because there is no TV. I like to light a candle (or at this time of year, turn on the Christmas tree lights) in the darkness of the room, and pray.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:39 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,267,277 times
Bud, your little chapel is beautiful! It must be so peaceful there.

I pray every where and anytime I have a quiet moment. I am, however, trying to get a prayer room together in my house. I have a small sitting room off the bedroom with a fireplace. I'd like to fill it with candles, a few comfy chairs, and our Bibles. I've been planning this for a while and now I'm inspired by Bud!

Old 11-27-2007, 04:48 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,358,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Do you have a special place you go to for prayer...where you can be alone...just you and God? Here is a picture of ours. My wife and I decided about a year ago to build a little prayer chapel. It is a little 8 X 10 out-building, on the edge of the property, overlooking a creek. What it does is give a quiet place to pray, away from the blaring TV, radio, yapping dogs, phone, and other distracting household activity. There is nothing inside except a couple of benches, a small table to hold a Bible & communion, and a back-lit stained glass cross on the back wall. The chapel is not finished, it still needs paint, inside and out. We like to keep the light lit in the steeple, to remind us of our mission in this life: to be a light shining in the darkness, a witness to a lost world...
Four people would pack the place full, but perhaps 6 could crowd in there, but it would be "standing room only".
Yes, that is snow falling...

Bud

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/KL7EU/Chapel-1.jpg (broken link)
Wow this is beautiful Bud;
I'm sure you and your wife are really loving this, this is such a wonderful intimate idea. and I am so sure that the glory of the Lord dwells in this place.
I pray anywhere; but I have a couple of sanctuaries, and a prayer closet.
God Bless this Place
For the holy Spirit will Reside there and rain down fire from heaven;
Let His Glory be magnified in this place....
God bless you Both
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity