Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 11:45 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Irrelevant to me.
.... then why respond?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 11:50 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
.... then why respond? -- Perhaps you do not understand the difference between a blog and a forum?
The OP asked several questions of people who pray.

I answered all those relevant to my beliefs.

Perhaps it's you who doesn't understand how message boards work.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:17 PM

11,248 posts, read 11,022,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
What is prayer exactly?

Wishful thinking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Or hopeful thinking. Nothing wrong with that.
In most cases, you would be correct. I'm all for anything that makes peoples lives feel more enjoyable and fulfilling. Life can be tough. You gotta do what you feel comfortable with to get through it. Belief solely in the power of prayer that takes the place of utilizing modern medicine to help a sick or injured loved one, though, is an example of when it is not a healthy thing.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:56 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
.... then why respond?
Hopefully you know that prayer is not Bible-dependent nor is it dependent on being a Christian.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:02 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Hopefully you know that prayer is not Bible-dependent nor is it dependent on being a Christian.
Exactly!

And a prayer does not need to be heard.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:05 PM

670 posts, read 815,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post
How do you pray?
Who should pray?
Will the prayers of non-believers get answered?
What should we pray for?
What does the Bible say about prayer?
How do I pray? I live by the creed: "Your every thought is a prayer or wish, be careful what you wish for."
However some times I do ask of the All-Fire, she is not obligated to answer ever prayer.
My prayers are worded as respectful requests and not demands.

To whom do I believe our prayers should be directed? Currently I believe the one who has revealed herself to me: the All-Fire is the only one worthy of praise and worship.(She has never commanded I worship only her, that is some thing that I have carried over from when I was an Abrahamist.) I do not worship the image she appears to me as in my visions because in reality, her true form is too complex for us to fully understand so she uses a form that we can understand. I refer to her as a she but she is really both Genders. I believe she is the creator and true Father of Christ and in my beliefs Yahweh is not Christs Father.

Will the prayers of non-believers get answered? That's up to their gods not me or mine. If they have not gods to whom are they praying?

What should we pray for? What ever is needed most rather than what we desire most.

What does the bible say?(take note of the small "b", it's how I emphasize that I do not source my morality exclusively to this book and do not feel it is perfect.)
"Our Lord who art in heaven, hollowed be thy name, thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on Earth as it Is in Heaven, give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors, lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil, for thyn is the kingdom and glory forever."

The Psalms of David where prayers used for worshiping the god of Israel: Yahweh.
I do not worship Yahweh, but I do enjoy Davids poetic prayers and so I use them to worship my god instead of his.
Psalms 19
Psalms 23

Old 01-05-2014, 01:12 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
If prayers were answered consistently the entire world population would be very religious and pious.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:16 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
?? My response was to the poster who felt compelled to respond that the prayer discussion was irrelevant to him. My thought is, if one has nothing to say, one should say nothing. -- MY MISTAKE! -- I thought the "it's irrelevant to me" (blue, below the line) was the only comment! A second look reveals that ALL of the blue comments were by the poster - mea culpa.

Not sure what you mean about prayer not being Bible-dependent? -- Our understanding of prayer is from the Bible, as are the examples provided by Jesus .... thus, one would have to argue that there is a difference between prayer as modeled in the Bible and, for example, ... a chanted mantra to some man-made deity. Further, if we are to understand the nature and character of God and the prayer-life He seeks from man, we must again refer to the Bible.

In the same context, anyone can pray to or worship anyone or anything. But, this thread and forum seem focused on the prayer life modeled by Jesus ... which is revealed in scripture (and which is far more than random outbursts directed toward some unknown being or wishful thinking.)

Last edited by jghorton; 01-05-2014 at 01:40 PM..

Old 01-05-2014, 01:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
But, this thread and forum seem focused on the prayer life modeled by Jesus ...
It is? Wow. I always miss the sign over the club house that says "Go away! Members only!!" (Probably because I was never hanging out with the segregationists to start with.)

Old 01-05-2014, 01:25 PM

48 posts, read 49,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post
How do you pray?
Who should pray?
Will the prayers of non-believers get answered?
What should we pray for?
What does the Bible say about prayer?
In psalms it says "Be still and know that I am God.
That is the only true prayer there is. otherwise it becomes lip service and has no power to reach God's ears. It means to be still while meditating.

Last edited by ventura23; 01-05-2014 at 01:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity