Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 04:14 PM

546 posts, read 543,206 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Eusebius
Well, Jesus tells us to be just like His heavenly Father in heaven. So I guess if He tortures people in fire, we should do the same thing. I've got the wood. You got the matches?
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Wood and matches?? Hey, did you guys ever hear of napalm? How about flamethrowers? How about nukes? How about white phosphorus? It seems like the gov't thinks of God as a thunder God, and they want to follow Him. Oh, I almost forgot...how about torture, as in Guantanamo?

Darn...and how could I forget throwing someone in prison for the rest of their lives for getting caught with a joint of mary jane...and then if they DO get out early, they are forever branded with a felony. That's rehab at it's best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 07:01 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,874,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Eusebius, You're just a chip off the old block and don't know what spirit you are of
I have Christ's spirit in me. Whose spirit do you have?

Here is a good read on just Isaiah from the Dead Sea scrolls compared to the Leningrad OT of Isaiah. http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/31_masorite.html

Most of the differences are insignificant.

BTW, the LXX has always been shorter than the Hebrew texts.

This whole argument is kind of silly anyway. Just look at the original KJV and all the changes made to it today. Why? Because language is always changing. Israel was always getting kicked out of Israel and captive to other countries, taking on those countries language.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:03 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,874,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpethim View Post
Originally Posted by Eusebius
Well, Jesus tells us to be just like His heavenly Father in heaven. So I guess if He tortures people in fire, we should do the same thing. I've got the wood. You got the matches?
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Wood and matches?? Hey, did you guys ever hear of napalm? How about flamethrowers? How about nukes? How about white phosphorus? It seems like the gov't thinks of God as a thunder God, and they want to follow Him. Oh, I almost forgot...how about torture, as in Guantanamo?

Darn...and how could I forget throwing someone in prison for the rest of their lives for getting caught with a joint of mary jane...and then if they DO get out early, they are forever branded with a felony. That's rehab at it's best!
Maybe they are trying to be like the god they have grown up as taught in the churches.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:07 PM

37,336 posts, read 28,051,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I have Christ's spirit in me. Whose spirit do you have?

Here is a good read on just Isaiah from the Dead Sea scrolls compared to the Leningrad OT of Isaiah.

Most of the differences are insignificant.

BTW, the LXX has always been shorter than the Hebrew texts.

This whole argument is kind of silly anyway. Just look at the original KJV and all the changes made to it today. Why? Because language is always changing. Israel was always getting kicked out of Israel and captive to other countries, taking on those countries language.
Eusebius, i know that you have i was messing around with your wood and matches post.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:14 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,806,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
The bible isn't inerrant; it contains the edits, typo's and stories written years after they occurred. If the bible was perfect and inerrant as some believe, man would also have to be perfect to read it and understand that it is perfect.
That is why we have the Holy Spirit, non believers or marginal believers see errors while believers see explanations. Those perceived as wise become fools and those perceived as fools become wise.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:44 PM

670 posts, read 810,452 times
I disagree with Sola Scriptura for a lot of reasons and have probably listed them in the past, so I don't think I need to again but for the sake of discussion any one is free to ask me questions about my views about the bible and how I believe some people get revelations and some don't.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:08 PM
Status: "I've got a fightin' side a mile wide but I pray for peace" (set 11 days ago)

14,466 posts, read 9,537,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
That is why we have the Holy Spirit, non believers or marginal believers see errors while believers see explanations. Those perceived as wise become fools and those perceived as fools become wise.
There is truth in your words. Since the Holy Spirit is present for non believers and inside believers ... there is motivation or revealing for non believers and conviction for believers. Both can "move" but definitely different.
I see the Holy Spirit working to comfort the believer and that comfort gives us peace.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:33 PM

546 posts, read 543,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Maybe they are trying to be like the god they have grown up as taught in the churches.
Yes, that's exactly my point. I've heard it said that a country often follows the major belief of its citizens when it comes to its laws and attitudes. So ET and torture fit right in.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:59 PM

63,406 posts, read 39,657,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Enough with this exclusivist nonsense . . . we ALL have the Holy Spirit (Comforter) available . . . but we do not ALL listen to its guidance (or believe it). What makes the mainstream believer retain beliefs that contradict our modern understanding of reality is the travesty of retaining the ancient ignorance of our ancestors as a sign of Faith in God. They retain 1st century ignorance in a 21st century world. I do NOT believe God intended for that to be the case!

Old 01-10-2014, 05:52 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,838,709 times
Quote:
Hi MysticPhd The Bible is not inerrant, but Scripture is. The Bible is not Scripture, it is a translation of Scripture. When translating from one language to another the person doing the interpretation does not know the infection and other things of the other language. God hides his word from some because as Jesus said when asked why He spoke in parables He said because it is not given for them to understand---at this time. God will reveal his words to who He chooses at the correct time. The smartest man in the world will not understand Scripture unless and until God opens his eyes to it.
Rate this post positively
My guess is that lots of people, just like this fellow, on this forum know very little about how we end up with an English Bible like the NIV or the NKJV or any of the many others, have never seen the Greek New Testament, can't read a word of it, and don't know from what it is produced. Most haven't even studied it extensively. Its best for Bible believing Christians to ignore what these people say, for they are merely parroting what they have heard from some college professor or other source that hates Christianity. IN my case, going to the seminary was part of an individual quest; to know the truth. What I've found over the years, as I have studied more and more, I increasingly become convinced that the Bible is God's Holy Word, preserved by Him and given to man so that we might know the one true God and how we may be saved through faith in Jesus Christ.

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

2Pe 1:21 For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

Mt 24:35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity