Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 12:26 PM

78 posts, read 516,923 times

Advertisements

A couple a months ago I found out the true names of the most high, and that I've been calling on the wrong names for so long. With my new found knowledge I told these names to my family, but they didn't really care. When I told them that we've been calling on false gods, they replied with the ever so famous
"GOD KNOWS MY HEART". So are they wrong for calling on pagan names.

Here are the names

IN Hebrew it's AHAYAH ASHER AHAYAH, which mean I AM THAT I AM. Which he told to Moses.

YASHAYA, which means my savior.

Most of us know Jesus isn't Christ's real name, nor YAHWEH(YHWH),Jehovah,Yah,JahEl Shaddai,Yeshua, and etc. Since The Most High isn't the Author of confusion I can only assume he only had one name for us to call on. So are they wrong for proclaiming pagan names, when they know its not his true name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 12:34 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoush21 View Post
A couple a months ago I found out the true names of the most high, and that I've been calling on the wrong names for so long. With my new found knowledge I told these names to my family, but they didn't really care. When I told them that we've been calling on false gods, they replied with the ever so famous

Here are the names

IN Hebrew it's AHAYAH ASHER AHAYAH, which mean I AM THAT I AM. Which he told to Moses.

Most of us know Jesus isn't Christ's real name, nor YAHWEH(YHWH),Jehovah,Yah,JahEl Shaddai,Yeshua, and etc. Since The Most High isn't the Author of confusion I can only assume he only had one name for us to call on. So are they wrong for proclaiming pagan names, when they know its not his true name?
Where did you find the names? Did someone tell you? Did you read it somewhere?

Old 01-09-2014, 01:13 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:

Here are the names

Actually AHAYAH ASHER AHAYAH means I will be or shall be , what I will/shall be. It isn't a name, it is a description.

The "I AM THAT I AM" came from the Greek Septuagint and is a poor translation of the Hebrew,

God's name is in VS 15. In Hebrew YHWH and in English Jehovah.

BHT Exodus 3:15 wayyö´mer `ôd ´élöhîm ´el-möšè Kò|-tö´mar ´el-Bünê yiSrä´ël yhwh

ASV Exodus 3:15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, Jehovah, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

Jesus said that God was his Father, so not the same Name at all.

Note what he told the Jews who only knew God as a singular being/Person.

KJV John 8:54 Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God:

Can't use English translations without checking them all and understanding what the Hebrew actually says/means.

Here is why.

In his notes on Exodus 3:14, Propp says: "The imperfect of *hyy* always refers to the future. If one could say 'I am that I am' in Hebrew at all, it would probably be through some such barbarous circumlocution as *anoki hu asher anoki hu*.' -- _The Anchor Bible: Exodus 1-18, A New Translation_ by William H. C. Propp, (Doubleday,
1999), pages 304, 305.

Such a translation [in English] as “I am what I am” appears to be ruled out completely by the fact that the verbs [in Hebrew] here are imperfects. “I am” is the normal translation of the Hebrew perfect, not an imperfect. ... The translation offered here relates this explanation of the name to covenants with the patriarchs. As such it was a basis of assurance concerning Yahweh’s presence and support. This thought is made explicit in the verse that follows, and the proper name Yahweh, the memorial name, is made synonymous with the description “I shall continue to be what I have always been.” This makes the description a restatement of Yahweh’s faithfulness an assurance that he will fulfill the covenants with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.—J. Wash Watt, Professor of Old Testament, New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, 1930-1968, A DistinctiveTranslation of Exodus With An Interpretative Outline, 1977, pp. 140–1.

The translation I am [in English] is doubly false: the tense is wrong, being present; and the idea is wrong, because am [in such an incorrect translation] is used in the sense of essential existence. All those interpretations which proceed upon the supposition that the word is a name of God as the self-existent, the absolute, of which the Septuagint’s ho ohn is the most conspicuous illustration, must be set aside ... the nature of the verb [in Hebrew] and the tense peremptorily forbid them.—A.B. Davidson, “The Theology of the Old Testament”, in The International Theological Library, 1920, p. 55.

Translations not slavishly following the KJV have:

1) “I-will-be-what-I-will-be”.—MO.

2) “I Will Become Whatsoever I please”—Rotherham added this footnote to Exodus 3:14 in his translation: “Hayah [to be” root of “ehyeh”] does not mean ‘to be essentially or ontologically [i.e. what He is basically or that He exists], but phenomenally [i.e., what He will do]. ... it seems that in the view of the writer ‘ehyeh and yahweh are the same: that God is ‘ehyeh ‘I will be’ when speaking of Himself, and yahweh’ when spoken of by others. What he will be is left unexpressed — He will be with them, helper, strengthener, deliverer.”Professor A.B. Davidson, in Hastings Bible Dictionary, Vol. II, [p.] 199.”

3) “I will be what I will be”.—BY.

4) “I will be that I will be”.—Leeser.

5) “I SHALL PROVE TO BE WHAT I SHALL PROVE TO BE”.—NWT.

6) “I shall continue to be what I have always been”.—J. Wash Watts.

7) “I will be what I will be”.—NEB.

8) “The meaning of the divine name (v. 12) is repeated and expanded, God’s freedom from and control of history are denoted by the phrase, “I will be what will be”.—Oxford Study Edition The New English Bible, footnote.

9) “I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE”.—RSV, margin.

10) “I will be what I will be”.—NIV, margin.

11) “I will be what I will be”.—LB, margin.

12) “I will be what I will be (or become)”.—The Companion Bible, margin.

13) “I will be what I will be”.—I.M. Ruben, 1928.

14 ) “I will be what I will be”.—Simon Glazer, 1935.

15) “I will be what I will be”.—English Revised Version, 1881–1885, margin.

16) “I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE”.—ASV, margin.

17) “Or, I WILL BE THAT I WILL BE.”—M.B. Glazebrook, D.D., Canon of Ely; THE LAYMAN’S OLD TESTANENT, Oxford University Press, 1913, margin.

18) “I will be what I will be”.—Revised English Bible, 1989, margin.

So calling Jesus ... Jesus, is correct in English. In Hebrew Yaheshua, Greek Iesous

Old 01-09-2014, 01:41 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
IMO, someone is drawing you into a legalistic view of God and Jesus and away from the true heart of the matter (not whether you know His name, but, whether you know HIM!).

Is Jesus Christ Lord of your life and do you worship Him as your personal Savior and Lord?

If not, it doesn't matter a great deal what name you use, because you don't know each other anyway.

If He IS, then you will clearly know what to call Him in your heart. .... Savior, Master, Lord, Jesus, Christ, King of Kings, etc..

Old 01-09-2014, 01:46 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,133,422 times
Quote:

Here are the names

The bible said LORD was sunstitued for YHWH or YHVH. SO YAH/YAHWEH/ YAHUWAH would be closer to the correct name and Yahoshuah/Yahushah/Yeshuah is Jesus name as it mean YAH is Salvation.

When Christians say LORD, they are not calling on BAAL. Other Gods are not real and have no power, so a false made up idol from people 5000 yrs ago cannot be worshiped unless people are physically and mentally making a effrt to call on something other than the 1 true creator of everything.

Always remember the bible NOWHERE says that God created other God, therefor other Gods are not real and have no powers, so a Christians cant worship or call on anything that doesnt exist.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:46 PM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:

Here are the names

God identified Himself to Moses both as 'I AM', and by His name YHVH. So . . . not a pagan name.

Exodus 3:14 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM" (הָיָה אֲשֶׁר הָיָה; ’eh·yeh ’ă·šer ’eh·yeh); and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

Exodus 6:2 God spoke further to Moses and said to him, "I am the LORD; 3] and I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as God Almighty, but by My name, LORD (יְהֹוָה; Yhvh; Yahweh), I did not make Myself known to them.

Pulpit Commentary on the translation 'I AM THAT (WHO) I AM'.

Verse 14. - I AM THAT I AM. No better translation can be given of the Hebrew words. "I will be that I will be (Geddes) is more literal, but less idiomatic, since the Hebrew was the simplest possible form of the verb substantive. "I am because I am" (Boothroyd) is wrong, since the word asher is certainly the relative. The Septuagint, Αγώ εἰμι ὁ ὤν, explains rather than translates, but is otherwise unobjectionable. The Vulgate, sum qui sum, has absolute exactness. The idea expressed by the name is, as already explained, that of real, perfect, unconditioned, independent existence. I AM hath sent me to you. "I am" is an abbreviated form of "I am that I am," and is intended to express the same idea.
Exodus 3:14 Commentaries: God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

Apologetics Press - Did the Patriarchs Know Jehovah by Name?

Last edited by Michael Way; 01-09-2014 at 02:23 PM..

Old 01-09-2014, 01:51 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:

Jesus is the name that the Bible gives to Jesus. He has no other name in scripture.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:15 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,133,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Jesus is the name that the Bible gives to Jesus. He has no other name in scripture.
His name went from Ioesus to Iesus to Jesus. It started out as Yahushah which mean Yah is salvation. Its after all the transliteration we get Jesus, but the real transliteration of Yahushah is Joshua.
Jesus was a Hebrew with a Hebrew name, there is no way his parents would have named him a Greek/Latino name. Just like a man in Africa is not going to name is son Chung Li Tong or a Chinese naming their son Babtoomday Kaharaw

Old 01-09-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
His name went from Ioesus to Iesus to Jesus. It started out as Yahushah which mean Yah is salvation. Its after all the transliteration we get Jesus, but the real transliteration of Yahushah is Joshua.
Jesus was a Hebrew with a Hebrew name, there is no way his parents would have named him a Greek/Latino name. Just like a man in Africa is not going to name is son Chung Li Tong or a Chinese naming their son Babtoomday Kaharaw
Correct, but we are speaking English so use Jesus. We don't use any other name in it's original language, say like Paulus, Moshe, etc.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

Pulpit Commentary on the translation 'I AM THAT (WHO) I AM'.

Verse 14. - I AM THAT I AM. No better translation can be given of the Hebrew words. "I will be that I will be (Geddes) is more literal, but less idiomatic, since the Hebrew was the simplest possible form of the verb substantive. "I am because I am" (Boothroyd) is wrong, since the word asher is certainly the relative. The Septuagint, Αγώ εἰμι ὁ ὤν, explains rather than translates, but is otherwise unobjectionable. The Vulgate, sum qui sum, has absolute exactness. The idea expressed by the name is, as already explained, that of real, perfect, unconditioned, independent existence. I AM hath sent me to you. "I am" is an abbreviated form of "I am that I am," and is intended to express the same idea.
Exodus 3:14 Commentaries: God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

And they are wrong

Such a translation [in English] as “I am what I am” appears to be ruled out completely by the fact that the verbs [in Hebrew] here are imperfects. “I am” is the normal translation of the Hebrew perfect, not an imperfect. ... The translation offered here relates this explanation of the name to covenants with the patriarchs. As such it was a basis of assurance concerning Yahweh’s presence and support. This thought is made explicit in the verse that follows, and the proper name Yahweh, the memorial name, is made synonymous with the description “I shall continue to be what I have always been.” This makes the description a restatement of Yahweh’s faithfulness an assurance that he will fulfill the covenants with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.—J. Wash Watt, Professor of Old Testament, New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, 1930-1968, A DistinctiveTranslation of Exodus With An Interpretative Outline, 1977, pp. 140–1.

The translation I am [in English] is doubly false: the tense is wrong, being present; and the idea is wrong, because am [in such an incorrect translation] is used in the sense of essential existence. All those interpretations which proceed upon the supposition that the word is a name of God as the self-existent, the absolute, of which the Septuagint’s ho ohn is the most conspicuous illustration, must be set aside ... the nature of the verb [in Hebrew] and the tense peremptorily forbid them.—A.B. Davidson, “The Theology of the Old Testament”, in The International Theological Library, 1920, p. 55.

And they ignore VS 15 totally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity