Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 08:22 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,527,201 times

Advertisements

Yes
No

I always thought this was cut and dried, Catholics believed the Communion bread and grape juice was literally transformed into the flesh, bones, sinew, cartilage of Jesus as well as his blood. In fact, I had several hearty debates over this with a Catholic priest friend of mine who was adamant it was true.

Now, on this forum one of the Catholics says he does not buy into it, and that MRI tests have proven it remains bread and juice. I was blown away, for Father Vince told me any Catholic who does not believe it is not to take communion, the top sacrament for Catholics.

I don't care if Catholics only respond to the poll and comment. Though I would like Catholic clarification on this please.

Well, the poll feature was above my level of competence. I'll just add them up and the end.

Last edited by Cephas40; 01-10-2014 at 08:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 08:24 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times
officially, yes. Truth be told I never understood what it meant until I had left the catholic church. I honestly doubt most lay catholics really know what it means.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
officially, yes. Truth be told I never understood what it meant until I had left the catholic church. I honestly doubt most lay catholics really know what it means.
Wow Viz, you are quick I was setting this up as a poll.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:25 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Yes and other denominations believe it as well.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:29 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Yes and other denominations believe it as well.
Name one, please.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:31 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,335,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorALly View Post
Yes
No
It is official teaching of the Church as per the NT. It is clear in the NT if one takes the Bible literally. The early church fathers took the Bible literally with regards to this issue.

I am ambivalent about this. What is really important is the mystic connection with God at the time of the eucharist. In this regard I cannot blame Protestants for not taking the Bible literally (as they usually do) on this issue.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:49 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,302 times
Quote:
Yes
No

I always thought this was cut and dried, Catholics believed the Communion bread and grape juice was literally transformed into the flesh, bones, sinew, cartilage of Jesus as well as his blood. In fact, I had several hearty debates over this with a Catholic priest friend of mine who was adamant it was true.

Now, on this forum one of the Catholics says he does not buy into it, and that MRI tests have proven it remains bread and juice. I was blown away, for Father Vince told me any Catholic who does not believe it is not to take communion, the top sacrament for Catholics.

I don't care if Catholics only respond to the poll and comment. Though I would like Catholic clarification on this please.

Well, the poll feature was above my level of competence. I'll just add them up and the end.
The answer is yes, and just btw, it's not "grape juice," it's wine.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
The answer is yes, and just btw, it's not "grape juice," it's wine.
Oh, sorry the priest I used to talk about this doctrine with used grape juice. My mistake for not knowing they weren't all the same.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:33 AM

Would you say most are honest about not accepting communion if not having met these following requirements from Catholic Answers?

First, you must be in a state of grace. "Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup." Grave matter includes, but is not limited to, murder, receiving or participating in an abortion, homosexual acts, having sexual intercourse outside of marriage or in an invalid marriage, and deliberately engaging in impure thoughts.

Second, you must have been to confession since your last mortal sin. The Didache witnesses to this practice of the early Church. "But first make confession of your faults, so that your sacrifice may be a pure one" (Didache 14). The 1983 Code of Canon Law indicates that the same requirement applies today. "A person who is conscious of a grave sin is not to . . .

Third, you must believe in the doctrine of transubstantiation. "For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself" (1 Cor. 11:29). Transubstantiation means more than the Real Presence.

Fourth, you must observe the Eucharistic fast. Canon law states, "One who is to receive the most Holy Eucharist is to abstain from any food or drink, with the exception only of water and medicine, for at least the period of one hour before Holy Communion"

Thanks for taking time to answer. Julian658 and others, your honesty and openness is nice.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:46 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,302 times
Quote:
Oh, sorry the priest I used to talk about this doctrine with used grape juice. My mistake for not knowing they weren't all the same.
I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me, but in a Catholic mass only wine can be used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity