Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 03:28 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,100,683 times

Advertisements

Also is it a sin to work on certain days of the week? I work in retail and my job requires me to work on the weekends and I don't see why it would be a sin to work on a certain day of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 03:37 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
Actually Lord Jesus and the New covenant does not mind if you make your Sabbath day on Wednesday , as long as you take the time one day out of the week to worship the Lord ... See this is the heart of the Lord that believers don`t work day in and day out seven days of the week and ignore the Lord ......As Jesus said that He is the Lord of the Sabbath and He alone will judge people on this command

Old 01-12-2014, 03:41 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,528,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Also is it a sin to work on certain days of the week? I work in retail and my job requires me to work on the weekends and I don't see why it would be a sin to work on a certain day of the week.
This comes up a lot. I say 1. We live under God's grace today. 2. Ask your employer if it is possible to arrange that day off or arrange your hours so you can attend services. 3. Respect you employer's authority. There are volumes more that can be said, and some will vehemently disagree, but I would ask "What was the Sabbath really for and all about?"

Old 01-12-2014, 09:00 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
The question was on us keeping the Sabbath "Holy". Firstly, that was a commandment for the Children of Israel under the law in the Old dispensation. It does not apply to Christians under grace in the new covenant. Secondly is, what does "Holy" mean in any case? It's a word that is used often in the bible. It means "separate" as in reserved for a special purpose. The Sabbath was a day that was separated from the rest of the days and set aside for a special purpose. A day dedicated to God, a day dedicated to worship and praise, a day when the normal doings of life were set aside.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:53 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Default What did God mean by us keeping the Sabbath holy?

The Sabbath was established for man . . . man was not established for the Sabbath. This means it is NOT for God . . . it is for man to rest and commune with God for man's benefit . . . NOT God's.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:36 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Unless you are an observant Jew, I wouldn't worry about it.

Exodus 31: 12-17 says:

12 The Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 13 “But as for you, speak to the sons of Israel, saying, ‘You shall surely observe My sabbaths; for this is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the Lord who sanctifies you. 14 Therefore you are to observe the sabbath, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. 15 For six days work may be done, but on the seventh day there is a sabbath of complete rest, holy to the Lord; whoever does any work on the sabbath day shall surely be put to death. 16 So the sons of Israel shall observe the sabbath, to celebrate the sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant.’ 17 It is a sign between Me and the sons of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, but on the seventh day He ceased from labor, and was refreshed.”

The sons of Israel are the descendants of Mr. Israel. Read the last part of Genesis and the first chapter of Exodus.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:06 AM

376 posts, read 419,675 times
Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:55 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Take it literally. All it states that after working six days straight, the 7th day is a day of rest. It doesn't matter what day of the week it is.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:44 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Read Hebrews 4 for an explanation of the spiritual application of the temporal commandment placed on the Hebrew nation.

Enter His rest today.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:59 AM

39 posts, read 45,777 times
Default Sabbath as a sign of "Things to Come"

Col 2:16-17 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the SABBATH: Which are a shadow of things to come…

In what way is the Sabbath a “Shadow of Things to Come”? And if it is important for a time still to come had we not need be aware of how GOD views his Appointments with mankind?

Ps 92 A Psalm or Song for the Sabbath day. It is a good thing to give thanks unto the LORD, and to sing praises unto thy name, O most High…For thou, LORD, hast made me glad through thy work [Creation days]…A brutish man knoweth not; neither doth a fool understand this…Those that be planted in the house of the LORD shall flourish in the courts of our God.

Is 62 Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the SON OF MAN [ben adam=son of Adam] that layeth hold on it; that keeps the sabbath from polluting it, and keeps his hand from doing any evil. Neither let the SON OF THE STRANGER, that has joined himself to the LORD, speak, saying, The LORD hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree [ie. The one who feels cut off from God’s People is NOT cut off but is still a functioning part of God’s People]. Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off. Also the SONS OF THE STRANGER, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keeps the sabbath from polluting it, and takes hold of my covenant; Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an HOUSE OF PRAYER FOR ALL PEOPLE.

This same thought concerning the Sabbath is delineated throughout Isaiah, Jeremiah and Ezekiel. They are prophesying concerning a time to come when ALL man will look to God and follow His ways without error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity