Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 12:11 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times

Advertisements

Yesterday my husband had to go to the doctor and she was running behind--about 2-3 hours! He would be the first to tell you he doesn't usually handle those type of situations so well, but he did pretty well yesterday. (He was too sick to just up and leave!) However, apparently not everyone in the office was dealing real well. Last night he said he heard a preacher on the radio quoting 1 Thessalonians 5:14 KJV which ends with "...be patient toward all men." The preacher was expounding that this includes your wife and EVERYBODY! He considered what had happened in the doctor's office and some other situations in his life and said he knew God was speaking to him about some of them.

BTW, he didn't have to pay his co-pay for the visit since she was running so behind!

I considered the virtue of patience, too, and realized how woefully short I often come up:

like with other drivers on the way to work (ouch!)
like with people who speak too slowly on the phone at work ... ouch again!
like just a number of situations....

Something to consider...especially as we approach the busy holiday season!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 12:20 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Something to consider...especially as we approach the busy holiday season!!!
And snowy, traffic-filled roads. That would be my dh's story this morning. It took him 2 hours to go 30 miles to work. It didn't even snow that much, the roads were just wet, not slick. He is dreading a real snow storm that would actually merit slow driving. He might never get there when that happens! He is from Michigan, so he has no patience for the Utah winter drivers.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:26 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,096 times
I too fall short on this. Patience is not my best virtue under a lot of circumstances. And, yes, driving is probably my weakest spot, especially this time of year when the snowbirds are all here. They drive 30mph on our main drag that is 45mph. While I don't need to speed, I DO want to go at least the speed LIMIT! I tend to be very vocal while driving lol.

As well, I also lose patience with people that, when asked a question, tells a 20 minute story when it should have taken a (less than) 30 second answer!

I also lose patience with my family when I see any of them walk over, kick around and/or ignore something on the floor rather than just picking it up and throwing it away. lol On this line, it irritates me when everyone keeps STUFFING and OVER STUFFING the garbage rather than taking a whole 2 minutes of their time to take the bag out, throw it in the trash outside and put in a new bag.

Yep, I guess you can say I fall short of patience.
I do need to learn patience. I can say I have gotten better about the driving. I don't say all the things I USED to say .

Old 11-28-2007, 12:38 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Yesterday my husband had to go to the doctor and she was running behind--about 2-3 hours!

BTW, he didn't have to pay his co-pay for the visit since she was running so behind
Wow, amd double wow I have to go tomorrow..I will sure tell my doctor about the one in Texas I am very impatient when I have to sit and wait..I have tried to fill this waiting in with prayer and other christian thinking..Works for a couple minutes tops..

Old 11-28-2007, 12:42 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,535 times
Thank you for posting this, kaykay..

I also do not include patience as one of my strong points. Constantly fall short! It has shown up in how I have related to children, my wife, and sometimes has shown up in my driving...

Talking about snowy roads, I nearly had a BAD accident this morning on my way to work.. (usually don't slow down quite enough for the weather, but this was a wake-up call!) Had a couple inches of snow over the last few days and last night, so roads are slick. Truck in on-coming lane blew cloud of snow, and suddenly there were brake lights RIGHT in front of me! I mean I IMMEDIATELY had to swerve around the turning car.. just like that. And the thing was, the tires didn't even slide on the road when I veered around it and back in my lane (big truck on-coming). I believe that the only reason I didn't lose control because of the icy roads was God's protecting hand... (thank you again, God!)

So, this thread is a good reminder for me! Don't hurry!

Old 11-28-2007, 12:43 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Wow, amd double wow I have to go tomorrow..I will sure tell my doctor about the one in Texas I am very impatient when I have to sit and wait..I have tried to fill this waiting in with prayer and other christian thinking..Works for a couple minutes tops..
Well, as I shared on the "reading" thread, I usually do pretty well reading in the doctor's office if I can get ahold of some good mags I haven't read yet!

And cg, glad you're still with us!!!!!!

Old 11-28-2007, 12:57 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
I really lacked patience coming back from my dads on thanksgiving day..3 hour drive back and we were stuck behind about 20 cars all following one smuck (i know they werent, but thats what I thought at the time) that was doing 45, and it was a 30 mile stretch of road. I really wanted to ride the car in front of me and look to pass. Finally one car did turn and the car in front of me hit the gas and fishtailed. If I would have been closer we would of gotten hit. After that i was more than happy to follow at a safer AND slower pace.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:14 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
On this line, it irritates me when everyone keeps STUFFING and OVER STUFFING the garbage rather than taking a whole 2 minutes of their time to take the bag out, throw it in the trash outside and put in a new bag.
I think we have the same family!

Old 11-28-2007, 02:32 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,815 times
Default Patience... what's that???

You know, it hurts when our shortcomings are put under a light and glare so brightly..

I have been trying to work on my ability to be patient.. and woefully lacking . My impatience rears its ugly head sometimes while driving (what is it about driving??) but mostly at home. My in-laws are in the same home with us and my FIL especially gets on my last nerve with just simple things he does ... like stuffs napkins in half-empty glasses or leaving food set out after fixing a snack, things like that. I have to remind myself, he's 76, set in his ways and not going to change just for me. Kids and their lack of observation and self-initiative also is a failing point for my patience.

Thank you all for letting me see I'm not alone in this! I will ask for God's assistance more often.

Blessings to all

Old 11-28-2007, 10:06 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,096 times
kaykay have you been reading my mind? secretly tailing me for a while? hiding in my house?

Paitence is a virtue that I sadly lacked for many years until recently. Many of you know my story, so I will just say that I work on this each day and fall short of Gods grace with it.

I have become better, well, when you don't have any to having a small amount that is better y'all!

My family can bring out the beast in me quicker than a rattler can strike. Youngest son holds the record so far upon getting the best of me, from refusing to listen to me, to ignoring me to dragging out whatever I asked him to do from a simple few minutes to all day.

Driving, hold the reigns Nettie. I am really working on that, and must admit I do not yell at other cars as much as I once did, but sometimes I regress and out it comes. The kids tell me then that I am looney for talking to cars. I primly remind them it relieves some of my stress that I could have turned on them! They just don't buy it and think I am nuts when I drive in traffic.

God really has His hands full with me on this subject which goes hand in hand with my mouth. If anyone has any useful tips and/or insights for me I am open to suggestions. I pray and pray for discernment and for me to learn from my sins/mistakes and do better, yet again and again I find myself failing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity