Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 01:38 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,265,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael17 View Post
Do you consider the bible an Open or Closed Cannon?
By that I mean do you believe books can be added to it or taken from it?

Also this goes hand in hand with that question:
Do you believe the Creator still sends us Revelations or has that stopped?

A core part of my beliefs is that the Creator sends Revelations to us and always will though it comes in the form of inspiration and visions. While the source is perfect we are not and so when it leaves the source and makes it way into a man the Revelation ceases to be perfect. That is what I believe and also why I believe my god doesn't condemn people based on beliefs.
Closed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I don't believe anyone is suggesting that the Bible contains ALL of the writings of the time about Jesus. In fact, the Bible says as much. [John 21:25 - Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.]

But, that doesn't render scripture less "complete" or "inspired" ... unless one entirely removes GOD's direction and influence from their thinking. On the contrary, the notion that men could overcome God's ‘inspired Word of Truth’, thus rendering the Bible and scriptures that have been in place for X years 'uninspired' -- gives too much credit to men and not enough to God!
This is similar to the OT as it mentions other books and yet they are not needed. The Bible Canon is closed, additional historical books, inspirational books, etc are fine IF they conform to and do not change what is In Scripture.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:44 PM

27,898 posts, read 29,722,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael17 View Post
Do you consider the bible an Open or Closed Cannon?
By that I mean do you believe books can be added to it or taken from it?

Also this goes hand in hand with that question:
Do you believe the Creator still sends us Revelations or has that stopped?
The Bible has more or less proven itself to be an open canon over the years. Churches may declare it closed, but the Bible we use today is quite different from the first Bible compiled and authorized by "the Church." Sure, it's included the same books for several hundred years now, but it has changed considerably over time, and that can be denied only by someone who is simply unwilling to acknowledge the facts.

A more important question is, "Does God continue to communicate to us today?" I believe the answer to that question is an unequivocable "YES!" When people insist that God has said all He intends to say to us, they are doing nothing more than telling Him: "Hush up! You had your turn. You're done talking now. You left us with the Bible and we don't want to hear anything more you may have to say."

Old 01-19-2014, 02:21 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,849,231 times
Rev 22:18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book.
Rev 22:19 And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

I think this ought to answer the question. Last words of the last of Jesus' 12 apostles.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:21 PM

7,287 posts, read 6,867,842 times
IT IS JESUS whom is going to be on the thrown making judgment, not any other man through out time.
It is He alone, that will determine in whom His Lordship is real. Matthew 7;21,22,23 ,
Merely calling Him Lord does not make it so.
Obedience makes it so .
Not to the letter, but to the Holy Spirit Jesus directed to replace Him as teacher.
If one cannot abide by the things Jesus said, He has no place in him
If a man does not have the Holy Spirit Jesus provided for God's guidance, He has no place in him.
To place academics over this relationship ,He has no place in him.
God gives instruction, that sometimes defies nature (His prerogative) (man is not God, and does not have this prerogative)
God instructed Moses to strike the rock with his staff and water came out.
On the second visit, God instructed Moses to speak to the rock for water, but disobeyed and struck the rock as he had done previously, water came but it was bitter, and Moses, because of this disobedience, was disallowed entrance into the promised land.
The difference between sin and righteousness, is obedience , and if one does not obey Jesus, neither has Jesus Lordship in him.
Jesus instructed the disciples to preach His gospel." That God has provided restoration of man through Jesus . "
Other things men have added, like Paul did, Jesus did not ask.
Again ,
whom is it going to be on the judgment seat ?
With eternity at stake, why would some one be willing to accept second hand information, when God has invested so much ?
Much more than this negligent, self serving, petulant world can fathom.
To the OP,
History is written from a perspective , Old testament scriptures included the failures as well as the successes of the jews.
Proving men in general, don't learn, even the hard way.
The disciples had failures as well, but few recognize them, choosing TO VIEW the failure as a success in stead. I won't get into that here.
Point is , the bible is not a magic book of incantations to make God do things. Though men like to try.
Men choose what to put together ,from writings that were available .
Because they were chosen of men, does not make them special.
Early Christians did not have even a fraction of the information being argued about.
What they had was a relationship via the Holy Spirit Jesus provided them. and that was enough .
Your so intelligent you need more than the relationship ? If that ?
Or may be that's the problem ?
I have spent many years studying scriptures and going to bible school and countless teachings 60 odd years worth.
Education is not equal to relationship.
The lack of a relationship is why people drop out and back slide .
Knowing more of other peoples opinions doesn't go any where positive.
However a desperate prayer life before God, can make all the difference in the world.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:51 PM
Status: "I've got a fightin' side a mile wide but I pray for peace" (set 19 days ago)

14,543 posts, read 9,581,262 times
It's closed but living. There is growth, renewal, and replication. It makes us think, believe and question. It gives us hope, promise and love. It offers the way, truth and life.

Think of the Bible as a road map that gives us the shortest, straightest, quickest directions. Who cares if there are new roads, new ways, new truths.... they're unnecessary for our journey.

...just sayin'

Old 01-19-2014, 02:56 PM

5,324 posts, read 5,051,317 times
The Samaritans, yes the ones mentioned in the bible, thought everything except the first four books of the bible was outside of the true scriptural canon. Then the Jews stated that Jesus was outside of the canon. Then Jesus's apostles said that Paul was outside of the canon. Then Paul said everything beside him was outside of the canon. Then John the Revalator said everything after him was outside of the canon.

I think it's spiritually and mentally deadening to read the same 66 books over and over again. You don't learn much doing that.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:01 PM
Status: "I've got a fightin' side a mile wide but I pray for peace" (set 19 days ago)

14,543 posts, read 9,581,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
The Samaritans, yes the ones mentioned in the bible, thought everything except the first four books of the bible was outside of the true scriptural canon. Then the Jews stated that Jesus was outside of the canon. Then Jesus's apostles said that Paul was outside of the canon. Then Paul said everything beside him was outside of the canon. Then John the Revalator said everything after him was outside of the canon.

I think it's spiritually and mentally deadening to read the same 66 books over and over again. You don't learn much doing that.
It's a how to book... not an encyclopedia. James 1:22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Rev 22:18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book.
Rev 22:19 And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

I think this ought to answer the question. Last words of the last of Jesus' 12 apostles.
Nope, he wrote 1,2 and 3rd John afterwards.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

Nope, though many who are spiritually dead do such reading.

Comprehension and action are also needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity