Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 09:33 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,528,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I would also argue that the “Evangelical-wings” of nominally denominational churches (be they UCC/Congregational, Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian, etc.) have more in common with Non-Denominational churches than their own denominations.
How's that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 09:58 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorALly View Post
How's that?
For example, the UCC is very liberal, especially with regard to issues like gender or marriage equality. However some nominally-UCC congregations are much more Evangelical in outlook and theology. They tend to be into the book of Revelation and concepts like “the Rapture,” which seem bizarre and even morbid to Mainline Congregationalists. They have more in common with Non-Denominational, Sola Scriptura churches than their own denomination.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:39 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Moderator cut: deleted

Vizio: You know quite well many Catholics have poor knowledge of Catholicism. As a Catholic you did not even know the Eucharist. So yes, a poorly educated Catholic could be swayed to Sola Scriptura based on its simplicity. Most Catholics don't even know how to defend the typical attacks against confession, the eucharist, the Virgin, Saint peter, etc. It is not in the nature of the average catholic to be a zealot . You know that quite well. The vast majority of catholics are catholic because of cultural heritage.

As you said--when I was confronted with what the Word ACTUALLY says....I left the Catholic church.
Quote:

Good straw man. I said the Bible is not infallible. For me it is just a guide to Christianity. The RCC considers the Bible as inspired, but they ultimately have the Church to decide matters.
If there are errors in the Bible, how do you know which part to trust? The same for the RCC--you said it has erred. How do you know what it teaches on any subject is correct?

Old 01-24-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
For example, the UCC is very liberal, especially with regard to issues like gender or marriage equality. However some nominally-UCC congregations are much more Evangelical in outlook and theology. They tend to be into the book of Revelation and concepts like “the Rapture,” which seem bizarre and even morbid to Mainline Congregationalists. They have more in common with Non-Denominational, Sola Scriptura churches than their own denomination.
Okay. Just for the record, IFB's typically are not evangelical in that we do not engage in activities with other churches. However, I work with our community's food pantry and hot meal program.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:22 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I somewhat agree and have often led Bible studies involving a wide range of folks in the 'streets' (Muslims, JW's, Satanists, etc). Unfortunately, I've conversely seen the introduction of heretical doctrine and materials into some church classes (eg; The Watchtower, etc) [NOT as examples, but, as teaching materials!]. IMO, this happens when churches focus more on who is "willing to teach", rather than "who is qualified to teach."

I am greatly concerned about the lack of Bible knowledge among many professing Christians --and also with the 'movement' in MANY churches to replace Bible study with small social groups or groups that focus on various videos and program materials. We have clearly reached the place where world opinion, polls and the internet have led many of God's people ... to "no longer endure sound doctrine" (One need not look far on this forum for vivid examples of this).

Therefore,while your comment, "someone is not be trying to steal people," may be true, we can't lose sight of the fact that the enemy is aggressively working to deceive them. To counter that, we, as leaders, must be vigilant (or at least aware) over what folks are teaching 'in the church' ... and diligent in teaching sound doctrine, rather than personal philosophies. As Hosea said, "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge."
These days for many churches, there seems less interest in the "study of the Bible" and more need to work on relevant social issues with a Biblical bend... such as;

Marriage
Children
Divorce
Homelessness
Finance
Health
Growth
Immigration

If hospitals treat illness then churches should treat sin. It is an unfortunate sign of the times. Bible study is best/most effective when people feel safe, are sheltered, and have full bellies.

Hosea 4:7 The more they increased, the more they sinned against me; I will change their glory into shame.

This is what we now have

Old 01-24-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Okay. Just for the record, IFB's typically are not evangelical in that we do not engage in activities with other churches. However, I work with our community's food pantry and hot meal program.
The word you want is ecumenical (meaning: “representing a number of different Christian churches”) not evangelical (meaning: “a Christian group that stresses the authority of the Bible, the importance of believing that Jesus Christ saved you personally from sin”).

Old 01-24-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
The word you want is ecumenical (meaning: “representing a number of different Christian churches”) not evangelical (meaning: “a Christian group that stresses the authority of the Bible, the importance of believing that Jesus Christ saved you personally from sin”).
Maybe this will clarify what I mean.
IFB churches have fellowship one with the other and often cooperate in such endeavors as evangelism. They will not participate, as a church, in any outside function with churches which do not also strictly base their faith and practice on the New Testament. They will not engage in joint meetings, or evangelistic endeavors, with Protestants, Catholics, or other doctrinally unsound church groups, who do not hold to the fundamental teachings of the New Testament.

"Evangelicalism may sometimes be perceived as the middle ground between the theological liberalism of the mainline denominations and the cultural separatism of fundamentalism."-Michael Luo

Additionally, Evangelicalism has been called "the third of the leading strands in American Protestantism, straddling the divide between fundamentalists and liberals".-Walter Mead

Last edited by Cephas40; 01-24-2014 at 12:10 PM..

Old 01-24-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Maybe this will clarify what I mean.
IFB churches have fellowship one with the other and often cooperate in such endeavors as evangelism. They will not participate, as a church, in any outside function with churches which do not also strictly base their faith and practice on the New Testament. They will not engage in joint meetings, or evangelistic endeavors, with Protestants, Catholics, or other doctrinally unsound church groups, who do not hold to the fundamental teachings of the New Testament.

"Evangelicalism may sometimes be perceived as the middle ground between the theological liberalism of the mainline denominations and the cultural separatism of fundamentalism."-Michael Luo

Additionally, Evangelicalism has been called "the third of the leading strands in American Protestantism, straddling the divide between fundamentalists and liberals".-Walter Mead
If your church is so conservative as avoid associating with Evangelicals for fear that they’re not fundamentalist enough, why ask the original question? Surely your response as a pastor of such a church would be obvious: No, you shouldn’t go to a non-denominational Bible study.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:32 PM

[quote=tpk-nyc;33163815]
Quote:
If your church is so conservative as avoid associating with Evangelicals for fear that they’re not fundamentalist enough, why ask the original question?
The question was Does Your Church/Denomination Discourage Bible Study With Other Christian Churches/Denominations?
Quote:
Surely your response as a pastor of such a church would be obvious: No, you shouldn’t go to a non-denominational Bible study.
Read my response in #6.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
The question was Does Your Church/Denomination Discourage Bible Study With Other Christian Churches/Denominations?
Bible study at my Episcopal church would seem extremely liberal to an Evangelical—and make a Fundamentalist utterly apoplectic. We have high regard for Higher Criticism and discuss particular translations and historical context. It’s very literary rather than doctrinal.

Episcopalians aren’t discouraged from attending a non-denominational Bible study (Episcopalians aren’t discouraged from doing much of anything), but I doubt many would actually go. Most Episcopalians enjoy the intellectual, philosophical and questioning side of Christianity and would find a Non-Denominational/Evangelical Bible study boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity