Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 08:24 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,528,189 times

Advertisements

Every so often I get asked this question. "Someone where I work is starting a weekly lunch hour Bible Study they say is non-denominational. Is it okay for me to go?"

I typed in 'going to non-denominational Bible studies' and the very first Google result was Should Catholics Go to Non-Denominational Bible Studies? Part of the answer follows.

Catholic Answers; I discourage Catholics from attending them because of the foundational premises and principles in operation at these studies. In many cases, though certainly not all, the non-denominational Bible study is the Trojan Horse that infiltrates the Catholic’s mind and succeeds in drawing him away from the one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church—to join a Protestant group. There’s still a long way to go to get Catholics to the point of scriptural study that Protestants have achieved. Catholics who are unaware often begin to adopt a Protestant mentality without knowing they are doing so, gradually learning to suspect the Catholic Church and trying to prove everything from the Bible.

Seriously, that was the only result on the six Google result pages that addressed what I sought.

What does your church/denomination say?

What would you tell someone who asked you for advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 08:41 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorALly View Post
Every so often I get asked this question. "Someone where I work is starting a weekly lunch hour Bible Study they say is non-denominational. Is it okay for me to go?"

I typed in 'going to non-denominational Bible studies' and the very first Google result was Should Catholics Go to Non-Denominational Bible Studies? Part of the answer follows.

Catholic Answers; I discourage Catholics from attending them because of the foundational premises and principles in operation at these studies. In many cases, though certainly not all, the non-denominational Bible study is the Trojan Horse that infiltrates the Catholic’s mind and succeeds in drawing him away from the one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church—to join a Protestant group. There’s still a long way to go to get Catholics to the point of scriptural study that Protestants have achieved. Catholics who are unaware often begin to adopt a Protestant mentality without knowing they are doing so, gradually learning to suspect the Catholic Church and trying to prove everything from the Bible.

Seriously, that was the only result on the six Google result pages that addressed what I sought.

The problem with these meetings is that invariably the Sola Scriptura folks start to recruit the Catholics.

Statistically the Catholics that convert to the Protestant Church know little about Catholicism. The complexity of Catholicism compared to Sola Scriptura and Sola Fide is alluring for poorly educated Catholics.

If your average Catholic person posted here you would see how they are easy pickings for the Sola Scriptura folks.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:06 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:

My denomination neither encourages nor discourages it, but when you attend church for three hours every Sunday and a big part of that time is devoted to classroom Bible study, and when you are stronly encouraged to read and study your scriptures every single day, there really isn't all that much time left for any further Bible study.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
My denomination neither encourages nor discourages it, but when you attend church for three hours every Sunday and a big part of that time is devoted to classroom Bible study, and when you are stronly encouraged to read and study your scriptures every single day, there really isn't all that much time left for any further Bible study.
This is the issue:

Catholics are not the type of Christians that walk around with bibles. You never see Catholics going to mass with the bible in hand. The Bible readings are printed in the the missal------------ a prayerbook that contains all of the readings and prayers for all of the Masses throughout the entire liturgical year. ALL churches in the world use the same book and do the same readings.

Every once in a while there are bible study for Catholics by Catholics, but the Church is not Sola Scriptura. The Church is the Church founded by Christ and that has a greater weight.

Nevertheless, the OT, NT ,psalm, and Gospel readings are done and may become part of the homily. Mass is about 50 -55 minutes. Three hours would be way too much because there are masses at 7, 8:30, 10:30, 12:15, and 6 PM. In addition there are a couple of masses of Saturday, plus two masses a day during the week.

The best bible people in the Catholic Church are among the many Protestant converts who are often former ministers.

Extremely knowledge of the bible causes protestants to convert to Catholicism.
Poor knowledge of the Bible causes Catholics to convert to the Protestant Church.

Last edited by Julian658; 01-21-2014 at 10:16 PM..

Old 01-21-2014, 10:02 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
I don't have a problem with my fellow Lutherans joining a "nondenominational"/baptist Bible study. Our folks generally know their Bible pretty well. They know their doctrine pretty well, and might well be able to help others. However, my experience personally is that I quickly make people mad, since the Bible differs with typical nondenominational beliefs, and that's the end of the Bible study.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:01 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,528,189 times
I typically don't discourage it. I'll tell someone to join in, then if they have any questions to feel free to being them to me, or better yet, if there are printed materials, to bring them in. I agree with augiedogie, most know what the Bible says. I'm certainly not paranoid to think someone is trying to 'steal' people.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I typically don't discourage it. I'll tell someone to join in, then if they have any questions to feel free to being them to me, or better yet, if there are printed materials, to bring them in. I agree with augiedogie, most know what the Bible says. I'm certainly not paranoid to think someone is trying to 'steal' people.
I hear you, but most Catholics do not spend much time studying the Bible. The Church is not Sola Scriptura and Catholicism requires a lot more teaching which is foreign to Evangelicals. A bible study class among Catholics and Sola SCRIPTURA FOLKS will be awkward.

Ultimately the CC is based on the Bible, but very few know where to find those verses that support Catholicism. The only Catholics that are reaL GOOD at finding verses to support the Pope, confession, the eucharist, the Hail Mary, etc are former Protestants that have converted.

You may want to listen to Jimmy Aikin a former Protestant to see how well he knows scripture.

Jimmy Akin's journey to the Catholic Church - YouTube

Old 01-22-2014, 09:31 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
Quote:
I somewhat agree and have often led Bible studies involving a wide range of folks in the 'streets' (Muslims, JW's, Satanists, etc). Unfortunately, I've conversely seen the introduction of heretical doctrine and materials into some church classes (eg; The Watchtower, etc) [NOT as examples, but, as teaching materials!]. IMO, this happens when churches focus more on who is "willing to teach", rather than "who is qualified to teach."

I am greatly concerned about the lack of Bible knowledge among many professing Christians --and also with the 'movement' in MANY churches to replace Bible study with small social groups or groups that focus on various videos and program materials. We have clearly reached the place where world opinion, polls and the internet have led many of God's people ... to "no longer endure sound doctrine" (One need not look far on this forum for vivid examples of this).

Therefore,while your comment, "someone is not be trying to steal people," may be true, we can't lose sight of the fact that the enemy is aggressively working to deceive them. To counter that, we, as leaders, must be vigilant (or at least aware) over what folks are teaching 'in the church' ... and diligent in teaching sound doctrine, rather than personal philosophies. As Hosea said, "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge."

Old 01-22-2014, 09:45 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:

Actually, I was approached by a Christian businessman yesterday about facilitating a Bible study in his shop once a week. His church is encouraging the members to do so. Since he is hosting it, he wanted me to lead it, as he knows I'm a pastor in the area and we have a good working relationship. I'm going to likely be working with him and his church on it.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:47 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I hear you, but most Catholics do not spend much time studying the Bible. The Church is not Sola Scriptura and Catholicism requires a lot more teaching which is foreign to Evangelicals. A bible study class among Catholics and Sola SCRIPTURA FOLKS will be awkward.
So what you're saying is that if a person just reads the Bible they will be led away from catholicism?
Quote:
Ultimately the CC is based on the Bible, but very few know where to find those verses that support Catholicism. The only Catholics that are reaL GOOD at finding verses to support the Pope, confession, the eucharist, the Hail Mary, etc are former Protestants that have converted.
Would it matter? You've told me the Bible can't be trusted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity