U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 12:21 AM

28,192 posts, read 47,512,098 times

Advertisements

TULSA, Okla. - Richard Roberts told students at Oral Roberts University Wednesday that he did not want to resign as president of the scandal-plagued evangelical school, but that he did so because God insisted.

Roberts says God forced his resignation - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 01:51 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,777,528 times
Quote:
Roberts said he wanted to "strike out" against the people who were persecuting him, and considered countersuing, but "the Lord said, 'don't do that,'" he said.
Roberts only claims to do what God wanted him to do, because anything else would be admitting that he is guilty.
And God knows that can't be true, right?

Old 11-29-2007, 07:23 AM

8,668 posts, read 20,280,577 times
Well, his decision may have lessened some of the contention surrounding this incident. I commented on this before when it was on the forum, and this is my two cents- he may or may not have made some poor choices in handling finances, but the public is not in a position to either be able to or have the need to discern whether he did or did not err. I think in such cases it's best to leave any judgment on the issue to God and to the courts (if the case continues.)

Old 11-29-2007, 08:51 AM

3,698 posts, read 10,201,502 times
Now God is going to take him fishing on Lake Tahoe.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:00 AM

7,780 posts, read 13,475,961 times
I wish when God told people to do something, they'd just do it.

Why say "I'm only doing this because God said so"?

If God said so, bro, you really don't need to explain it to anyone else.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:14 AM

13,564 posts, read 21,669,686 times
I really have a hard time believing that God spoke to him and told him to resign..I believe he resigned because he knew he would be asked to resign..I am anxious to see if he is willing to give up his lavish lifestyly, horses, mansion, etc, etc for God..IMO, instead of saying God told him to do it, he should have admitted his shortcomings and asked God and the students for forgiveness.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:24 AM

7,780 posts, read 13,475,961 times
The problem I have is that God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. Or at least I think He is.

Then you have this 'spokesman' for God, who shows us this picture:

Quote:
God told him on Thanksgiving that he should resign the next day, Roberts told students in the university's chapel on Wednesday.
Quote:
Roberts has previously said that God told him to deny the allegations.
then we see there still seems to be a little selfish motivation....

Quote:
On Wednesday, Roberts said God told him he would "do something supernatural for the university" if he stepped down from the job he held at the 5,700-student school since 1993.
but then we read this

Quote:
Roberts said he would return to the full-time evangelistic healing ministry, "which is where my heart has always been,"
and find that Roberts' heart has never been in this endeavor anyway, so it's really no big deal, I guess.

And at the end of the day, what happens? God gets blamed for the resignation and no one....not one soul....not the suing attorney or the accused who was supernaturally instructed to fight this....no wait....to resign....no one admits guilt or wrongdoing.

So who suffers?

Same one who always does in these things.

Jesus.

Sad. Real sad.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:32 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,179,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
The problem I have is that God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. Or at least I think He is.

Then you have this 'spokesman' for God, who shows us this picture:

then we see there still seems to be a little selfish motivation....

but then we read this

and find that Roberts' heart has never been in this endeavor anyway, so it's really no big deal, I guess.

And at the end of the day, what happens? God gets blamed for the resignation and no one....not one soul....not the suing attorney or the accused who was supernaturally instructed to fight this....no wait....to resign....no one admits guilt or wrongdoing.

So who suffers?

Same one who always does in these things.

Jesus.

Sad. Real sad.
So true! I hate it when people flippantly toss around the notion that God tells them to do everything. Sometimes it may be God, other times it may be the pizza you had last night talking. I'm not denying that God talks to us, I know He does. But to claim that it is God who is telling you to do so many conflicting things is ludicrous. Just like Alpha quoted, God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. It is people like these who confuse the unbeliever and make them view all Christians as using the "voice of God" for convenience only.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:34 AM

3,086 posts, read 5,653,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I wish when God told people to do something, they'd just do it.

Why say "I'm only doing this because God said so"?

If God said so, bro, you really don't need to explain it to anyone else.
Excellent points in this post! (and in your next one). Sometimes God has to tell us something hard because we haven't been listening to Him previously.

Why blame it on Him? And if we blame it on Him, we're not even hearing Him! (I'm not saying this is how Roberts has been acting, just as an example.)

Old 11-29-2007, 09:43 AM

13,564 posts, read 21,669,686 times
When people in these types of situations get caught, they claim that God is telling them what to do to get themselves out of the trouble..IMO, if these people were so close to God that He talks to them, how come they never listened to Him before? Just seems to me that if God talks to me he would have told me to stop what I was doing and not let it go on for years Surely they read the bible..God does a lot of talking there, maybe that is where they need to listen, instead of all the little voices coming out of their heads..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or