U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 12:09 PM

8,532 posts, read 10,314,329 times
Originally Posted by ss8151
Quote:
I may be a little old fashion but what is PC. What are you refering to? And I agree I don'tthink another
entity should be forced on anyone either.
If you truly believe this then you should never open a book, since books expose you to different ideas (=abstract entities). There is no difference between a ghost, an idea, and information. All are abstract constructs yet influence those who believe in them.
Being inspired by a book could be seen as being possessed by the ideas or information in that book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 11:07 PM

3,885 posts, read 5,220,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
PC = Politically correct
Thank you for explaining. I should have spelled it out.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:24 AM

24,777 posts, read 27,778,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
I agree. During the holiday season at school we are teaching the children about different religious and cultural celebrations/holidays and the children have been making crafts or doing activities related to each celebration/holiday. One thing I don't understand is one of the children who is a Moslem is not allowed by her parents to participate in anything related to the Christmas celebration. She has to leave the room if we make crafts, have related foods, ect. But I don't think that this applies to our activities relating to Hanukkah or Kwaanza.
God bless
In regards to the Muslim children, I think it's for the same reasons most Christian parents wouldn't want their kids participating in a Muslim ritual... it simply goes TOO far against their beliefs. Chanukah and Kwanzaa don't interfere with their religion as much, since they don't represent worshiping a specific God - Chanukah represents a miracle of light in old Jerusalem (right near the Dome of the Rock, a holy Muslim site), and Kwanzaa is simply a cultural celebration. That being said, my parents never restricted me from participating in Christmas activities... but we're hardly "uber-religious" Jews, and come from a more liberal society than most. Though it was annoying when they had us make Christmas ornaments, as I didn't have anywhere to put them! I'd usually end up giving mine to a friend, which was nice but kinda useless.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:45 AM

79 posts, read 137,901 times
If "they" are govt. officials, the entire parade needs to be scrapped. At a time of high taxes, dwindling resources and on and on, low pay for the police officers and fire-fighters, to put on a parade, when the money could go to schools, provide in home care to the elderly, health care to children, the parade is a waste. I would not like my tax dollars going to such a thing. Did Jesus have parades?

Old 12-02-2007, 07:00 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,159,124 times
The birth of Jesus Christ our Lord is the reason we (Christians) celebrate Christmas!
Which imo has nothing to do with the other holidays in December. They also do not fall on the same day and if they did maybe there could be some compromise for the respect of other's tradition.
Dec. 8th- Bodhi day
Dec. 4th-12th Chanukah
Dec. 26th-Jan.1st Kwanzaa
To change the name of Christmas to holiday because of individuals whom disagree with Christianity traditions is totally wrong!!
I have never experinced where Christian's have tried to change the traditions of other's celebrations. But I've have seen many times where Christian's peacefully respecting the holiday's and traditions of other's even though they do not agree with them.
Also many many Christian's support our country by paying taxes too
The Lords love and blessed hope.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:19 AM

11,211 posts, read 8,750,396 times
Hi Gizmo, we have talked about Ramadhan this past week and it is okay for us to make crafts or participate in activities that teach about this holiday, for example. It is all a part of learning. And also, how could making a little Rudolph or eating a decorated cookie be a problem as far as the religious aspect? I know that they have the right and I have no problem with this but it just seems that the discrimmination is against the Christian holiday only. Christians and Jews worship the same God and many believe that Christians, Jews, and Muslims worship the same God. God bless.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:36 AM

24,777 posts, read 27,778,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi Gizmo, we have talked about Ramadhan this past week and it is okay for us to make crafts or participate in activities that teach about this holiday, for example. It is all a part of learning. And also, how could making a little Rudolph or eating a decorated cookie be a problem as far as the religious aspect? I know that they have the right and I have no problem with this but it just seems that the discrimmination is against the Christian holiday only. Christians and Jews worship the same God and many believe that Christians, Jews, and Muslims worship the same God. God bless.
I understand, and don't necessarily agree with the reasoning I gave... was just speculating on why they might problem with Christmas. Personally I think it should be all or nothing, in terms of what's studied in school - either cover all cultures and religions, or leave the subject out completely. I also feel that nobody should be forced to participate, or ridiculed/questioned if they choose to sit out an activity. Just my two cents!

Old 12-03-2007, 07:04 PM

11,211 posts, read 8,750,396 times
Hi Gizmo, I am pretty sure that nobody is ridiculing this little girl unless something is said from another child, I don't know. Her teacher is very adamant about respecting the wishes of the parents when we have come together to plan lessons and activities. Everyone (the teachers) is very protective of her rights to not participate, I think. I have never heard anything negative shared, but I think we do feel a little sad about why there is no association at all with the holiday of Christmas when everything else seems to be okay. God bless.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:13 PM

4,300 posts, read 3,967,663 times
I'm a little confused. Since when did parades become part of celebrating Christmas? For all the people on this forum who are very literal in their interpretation of the Bible, when did Jesus say to have a parade in honor of his birth? I thought Christmas was supposed to be celebrated by prayerful contemplation and celebration at Church.

"Do this in memory of me". I don't think it meant have a parade.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:51 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,321,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
I'm a little confused. Since when did parades become part of celebrating Christmas? For all the people on this forum who are very literal in their interpretation of the Bible, when did Jesus say to have a parade in honor of his birth? I thought Christmas was supposed to be celebrated by prayerful contemplation and celebration at Church.

"Do this in memory of me". I don't think it meant have a parade.
"Do this in memory of me." That comment was in referrence to his death, not his birth. It doesn't say anywhere in the Bible to celebrate his birth. It also doesn't say to celebrate Thanksgiving, own a computer, or go to a forum on-line to chat about him....but I don't think those things are wrong....do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity