Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:45 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times

Advertisements

I am always taken aback by how often these carnal or worldly issues crop up in reference to our spiritual practices. Do you fail to understand what being spiritually-minded versus carnally-minded actually means?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 01:51 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,098,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I cannot stomach sloppy people in church. I believe in the dress for success philosophy. My son went to a Catholic prep school and he had to wear a coat and tie all the time. To this day he still dresses properly at all times.

People will treat you according to how you are dressed. if you dress like a bum some people may assume you are a bum. The best Sunday clothing is a must for church and a sign of deep respect for the Lord.
Makes me wonder if you would welcome in your church.

James 2:1 My brothers, show no partiality as you hold the faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory. 2 For if a man wearing a gold ring and fine clothing comes into your assembly, and a poor man in shabby clothing also comes in, 3 and if you pay attention to the one who wears the fine clothing and say, “You sit here in a good place,” while you say to the poor man, “You stand over there,” or, “Sit down at my feet,” 4 have you not then made distinctions among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts? 5 Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him? 6 But you have dishonored the poor man. Are not the rich the ones who oppress you, and the ones who drag you into court? 7 Are they not the ones who blaspheme the honorable name by which you were called?
8 If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well. 9 But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:03 PM
Status: "I've got a fightin' side a mile wide but I pray for peace" (set 20 days ago)

14,561 posts, read 9,587,526 times
When I was growing up in rural Arkansas... I did wear shoes on Sunday, but only Sunday. just like the rest of the kids.

...just sayin'

Old 01-28-2014, 02:12 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
James 2:1 My brothers, show no partiality as you hold the faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory. 2 For if a man wearing a gold ring and fine clothing comes into your assembly, and a poor man in shabby clothing also comes in, 3 and if you pay attention to the one who wears the fine clothing and say, “You sit here in a good place,” while you say to the poor man, “You stand over there,” or, “Sit down at my feet,” 4 have you not then made distinctions among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts? 5 Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him? 6 But you have dishonored the poor man. Are not the rich the ones who oppress you, and the ones who drag you into court? 7 Are they not the ones who blaspheme the honorable name by which you were called?
8 If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well. 9 But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors.
It pleases me to be able to agree with you on something, Vizio. It is those who are spiritually-MINDED . . . not carnally-DRESSED who are properly honoring God.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:17 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,516,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
When I was growing up in rural Arkansas... I did wear shoes on Sunday, but only Sunday. just like the rest of the kids.

...just sayin'
Have you ever read A Painted House? by that other great Arkansan, John Grisham? Your description reminds me of the main character.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:17 PM

9,945 posts, read 4,888,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It pleases me to be able to agree with you on something, Vizio. It is those who are spiritually-MINDED . . . not carnally-DRESSED who are properly honoring God.
Those welcoming the non-Christians attending the congregation meetings are being counseled to Not show favoritism, but the already Christians are to dress with modesty according to Scripture.

If dressing with modesty was Not important to God, then why does God have modest grooming being important ?

Old 01-28-2014, 02:21 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,010,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Wow, if God could care less, then why does the Bible say to dress in modesty ?

Sure non-Christians are welcome to worship, but Christians set a modest example for the non-Christians.
-James 2 vs 2 - 6

Who deserves more respect the President or the Queen or God ?

Since I don't care what the Preseident or the Queen thinks and I answer to GOD alone and not you or any other human I'm thinking I'll take it up with God.

By the way I don't have to quote verse or scripture to know without hesitation or doubt that God knows me completely inside and out and knows my complete heart and soul I am certain I am good with God whether I have on my best material clothing or am wearing nothing in the shower as I pray....

Old 01-28-2014, 02:34 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,098,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Those welcoming the non-Christians attending the congregation meetings are being counseled to Not show favoritism, but the already Christians are to dress with modesty according to Scripture.

If dressing with modesty was Not important to God, then why does God have modest grooming being important ?
Can you show me where James drew that distinction?

Old 01-28-2014, 02:37 PM

27,914 posts, read 29,727,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I am always taken aback by how often these carnal or worldly issues crop up in reference to our spiritual practices. Do you fail to understand what being spiritually-minded versus carnally-minded actually means?
Some of us make no distinction between the two. In the LDS Doctrine and Covenants, it states:

Wherefore, verily I say unto you that all things unto me are spiritual, and not at any time have I given unto you a law which was temporal; neither any man, nor the children of men; neither Adam, your father, whom I created. Behold, I gave unto him that he should be an agent unto himself; and I gave unto him commandment, but no temporal commandment gave I unto him, for my commandments are spiritual; they are not natural nor temporal, neither carnal nor sensual.

But that's okay. Any time you want to visit an LDS worship service, you'll be welcomed, no matter how you dress.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:50 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,267,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorALly View Post
Personally, I don't like to dress up. I'm much more comfortable in my La-Z-Boy recliner in my favorite sweatshirt, slippers, and jeans while reading my Bible or praying.

Something gets lost when Christians begin showing off instead of showing respect by the way they dress. For example, one church I was in had become a weekly fashion show seeing who could out dress the other. Besides being ridiculous, it became a distraction and a disruption to the point the pastor had to address it.

I think too culture plays a part. We're starting a Spanish church service next month. The Hispanic people in our congregation all dress in their "Sunday best." Our new pastor said that's simply how they were raised. Whether all Hispanics are that way I don't know.

Some say they dress up for church "To honor the Lord," or "To show respect to God in the House of the Lord."

Others say, "God doesn't care how I'm dressed," or "God cares more about my heart."

Is how you dress for church important?
Dress to honor God, not elevate yourself. Church is not a fancy restaurant nor McDonalds. God did give laws on how His priests and people were to dress, so it matters to Him.

This does not mean a person of little means needs a suit, but if you have it, that would be a good idea. The heart comes first, but where we have the means to dress to honor God we should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity