U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-30-2011, 09:24 AM

91 posts, read 28,951 times
I guess for clarification - let's assume for the moment that I am approaching this with no knowledge of the Bible at all. I am an alien from outerspace. Several questions come to mind off the top of my head:

How do I read/approach the OT?

What am I supposed to glean from it?

Is it reliable?

If it is, in what ways/passages is it reliable?

Old 12-30-2011, 12:31 PM

531 posts, read 185,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyknish View Post
I guess for clarification - let's assume for the moment that I am approaching this with no knowledge of the Bible at all. I am an alien from outerspace. Several questions come to mind off the top of my head:

How do I read/approach the OT?

What am I supposed to glean from it?

Is it reliable?

If it is, in what ways/passages is it reliable?
awight... first of all, welcome to earth... please don't eat my face.

now, on to the OT.

The old and new testaments form the holy scriptures. 2 Tim 3:16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

we cannot disregard the OT. Never.

However, this does not mean that everything, or every command in the OT should be considered law for us. For instance, Noah was commanded to build a boat to save himself and his family. We don't have to build a boat. I know its a simple realization... but just a baseline statement.

The old testament is relative to the old covenant. the new testament is relative to the new covenant... perhaps the word "relative" is not a great word to use, but it simply is to say that the OT documents the OC (old covenant) and the NT documents the NC (new covenant).

John 1:17 For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ.

Through Moses, God gave Israel a law. But that law, often called Mosaic law, is not for us. This is illustrated in ACTS 15...

1 Some men came down from Judea and began teaching the brethren, “Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved.” 2 And when Paul and Barnabas had great dissension and debate with them, the brethren determined that Paul and Barnabas and some others of them should go up to Jerusalem to the apostles and elders concerning this issue. 3 Therefore, being sent on their way by the church, they were passing through both Phoenicia and Samaria, describing in detail the conversion of the Gentiles, and were bringing great joy to all the brethren. 4 When they arrived at Jerusalem, they were received by the church and the apostles and the elders, and they reported all that God had done with them. 5 But some of the sect of the Pharisees who had believed stood up, saying, “It is necessary to circumcise them and to direct them to observe the Law of Moses.”

Now circumcision was a part of Mosaic Law.

Peter refutes this later in the chapter:

7 After there had been much debate, Peter stood up and said to them, “Brethren, you know that in the early days God made a choice among you, that by my mouth the Gentiles would hear the word of the gospel and believe. 8 And God, who knows the heart, testified to them giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He also did to us; 9 and He made no distinction between us and them, cleansing their hearts by faith. 10 Now therefore why do you put God to the test by placing upon the neck of the disciples a yoke which neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear? 11 But we believe that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, in the same way as they also are.”

Notice what Peter says here. this salvation is for all disciples. not just jews or greek... but BOTH. Not according to Mosaic law. it is a yoke which no one can bear.

SO WHAT GOOD IS THE OLD TESTAMENT? well ....

Romans 15:4 For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

So what does that mean???

Do the OT and NT form a whole? Yes.

Matt 5:17 “Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

This is a portion of the Sermon on the Mount. Jesus instructs things that are different from the Law. He wanted to make it clear he was not against the law... The OT is essential in God's plan. Jesus came to give a new law that replace the old law... but the old law is not to be destroyed because it told in its prophecies that it would be replaced. crazy huh? well hang on...

The Hebrew writer quotes Jeremiah31:31 and here's the passage in Hebrews 8:6-13 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, by as much as He is also the mediator of a better covenant, which has been enacted on better promises. 7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion sought for a second. 8 For finding fault with them, He says, “BEHOLD, DAYS ARE COMING, SAYS THE LORD,
WHEN I WILL EFFECT A NEW COVENANT
WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AND WITH THE HOUSE OF JUDAH;
9 NOT LIKE THE COVENANT WHICH I MADE WITH THEIR FATHERS
ON THE DAY WHEN I TOOK THEM BY THE HAND
TO LEAD THEM OUT OF THE LAND OF EGYPT;
FOR THEY DID NOT CONTINUE IN MY COVENANT,
AND I DID NOT CARE FOR THEM, SAYS THE LORD.
10 “FOR THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL
AFTER THOSE DAYS, SAYS THE LORD:
I WILL PUT MY LAWS INTO THEIR MINDS,
AND I WILL WRITE THEM ON THEIR HEARTS.
AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD,
AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE.
11 “AND THEY SHALL NOT TEACH EVERYONE HIS FELLOW CITIZEN,
AND EVERYONE HIS BROTHER, SAYING, ‘KNOW THE LORD,’
FOR ALL WILL KNOW ME,
FROM THE LEAST TO THE GREATEST OF THEM.
12 “FOR I WILL BE MERCIFUL TO THEIR INIQUITIES,
AND I WILL REMEMBER THEIR SINS NO MORE.”

13 When He said, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear.

Jesus came to fulfill the predictions of the prophets... naturally, they got their info from God. makes sense.

Let's talk about the 10 commandments. they are probably the most recognizable article of law in the OT. Are they binding today? No.

Wait! you mean i can steal and commit adultery and murder and all that stuff. No. Not at all. Let's look at the scriptures to understand the Old testament covenant law in regard to the New.

the 10 commandments no longer apply as law because the teachings of Christ supersede them. In the sermon on the Mount... what does Jesus say?

matt 5:21 “You have heard that the ancients were told, ‘YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER’ and ‘Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.’ 22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, ‘You good-for-nothing,’ shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, ‘You fool,’ shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.

You shall not commit murder is found in Exodus and Deuteronomy. But here we have Christ offering a new law. a new way of thinking... This was not found in the OT or the Old covenant... this was NEW.

Matt 5:27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY’; 28 but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

stepped on some toes there, huh? this not to say that up till this point men didn't lust after a woman... not at all. David did. But Jesus is saying that they are just as guilty.

Paul also talks about the 10 commandments in 2 Cor 3:7 But if the ministry of death, in letters engraved on stones, came with glory, so that the sons of Israel could not look intently at the face of Moses because of the glory of his face, fading as it was, 8 how will the ministry of the Spirit fail to be even more with glory? 9 For if the ministry of condemnation has glory, much more does the ministry of righteousness abound in glory. 10 For indeed what had glory, in this case has no glory because of the glory that surpasses it. 11 For if that which fades away was with glory, much more that which remains is in glory.

The gospel of Christ encompasses all the fundamental values of the 10 Commandments, but there are some omissions. Christians can't kill but not because there is a law that says, "DON'T DO THAT!" but rather because of their love for God and their fellow man. Love... it is the greatest of these.

However, there's no command in the new testament to not make statues... we are told not to worship idols... but under the Old Covenant, we couldn't even make a statue.

And the sabbath day is not applicable. Col 2:16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day— 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Lightning round...
Romans 6:14 For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

Romans 7: 4 Therefore, my brethren, you also were made to die to the Law through the body of Christ, so that you might be joined to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God.

Romans 7: 6 But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.

alot from romans but that makes sense since the problem of going back to the law for righteousness was present in the Church.

Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.

Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Galatians 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the law, being shut up to the faith which was later to be revealed. 24 Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor. 26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

Ephesians 2:14 For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall, 15 by abolishing in His flesh the enmity, which is the Law of commandments contained in ordinances, so that in Himself He might make the two into one new man, thus establishing peace, 16 and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross, by it having put to death the enmity.

Hebrews 9:16 and 17 tell us when the new covenant went into effect...

Jesus lived under the old Law... Galatians 4:4-5

Many things in the Gospel apply to the old law, but Christ also took His opportunities to teach the new law...

Both testaments are useful for our instruction. But we do no live under mosaic law. The law could not save us.

Hebrews 10:1 For the Law, since it has only a shadow of the good things to come and not the very form of things, can never, by the same sacrifices which they offer continually year by year, make perfect those who draw near. 2 Otherwise, would they not have ceased to be offered, because the worshipers, having once been cleansed, would no longer have had consciousness of sins? 3 But in those sacrifices there is a reminder of sins year by year. 4 For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.

the Law had no provision to forgive sins. the Blood of Christ can only do that.

Moses was a great man. a leader of God's people.

Elijah was a great prophet... but Jesus is Lord.

Mark 9:5 Peter *said to Jesus, “Rabbi, it is good for us to be here; let us make three tabernacles, one for You, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” 6 For he did not know what to answer; for they became terrified. 7 Then a cloud formed, overshadowing them, and a voice came out of the cloud, “This is My beloved Son, listen to Him!” 8 All at once they looked around and saw no one with them anymore, except Jesus alone.

You approach the OT with a desire to understand it for what it is. The Old Covenant that foretold the New.

You glean from it the purpose it was for... the old covenant or mosaic law was to bring us the knowledge of sin.
it is completely reliable... as it the NT or NC

In all ways is it reliable. To truly understand the OT, you must Understand the NT. Think for a moment. those who deny that Christ was the son of God... they still live under the law. do they (or did they in Christ's time) understand the OT...? No.

matt 23:29 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous, 30 and say, ‘If we had been living in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partners with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.’ 31 So you testify against yourselves, that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. 32 Fill up, then, the measure of the guilt of your fathers. 33 You serpents, you brood of vipers, how will you escape the sentence of hell?

The old testament is documented that there are some who did not understand the scriptures, they did not heed the words of God. The Old Testament was a shadow of things to come.

The law condemns.

Jesus saves.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomtkirk View Post
awight... first of all, welcome to earth... please don't eat my face.

now, on to the OT.

The old and new testaments form the holy scriptures. 2 Tim 3:16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

we cannot disregard the OT. Never.

However, this does not mean that everything, or every command in the OT should be considered law for us. For instance, Noah was commanded to build a boat to save himself and his family. We don't have to build a boat. I know its a simple realization... but just a baseline statement.

The old testament is relative to the old covenant. the new testament is relative to the new covenant... perhaps the word "relative" is not a great word to use, but it simply is to say that the OT documents the OC (old covenant) and the NT documents the NC (new covenant).

John 1:17 For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ.

Through Moses, God gave Israel a law. But that law, often called Mosaic law, is not for us. This is illustrated in ACTS 15...

1 Some men came down from Judea and began teaching the brethren, “Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved.” 2 And when Paul and Barnabas had great dissension and debate with them, the brethren determined that Paul and Barnabas and some others of them should go up to Jerusalem to the apostles and elders concerning this issue. 3 Therefore, being sent on their way by the church, they were passing through both Phoenicia and Samaria, describing in detail the conversion of the Gentiles, and were bringing great joy to all the brethren. 4 When they arrived at Jerusalem, they were received by the church and the apostles and the elders, and they reported all that God had done with them. 5 But some of the sect of the Pharisees who had believed stood up, saying, “It is necessary to circumcise them and to direct them to observe the Law of Moses.”

Now circumcision was a part of Mosaic Law.

Peter refutes this later in the chapter:

7 After there had been much debate, Peter stood up and said to them, “Brethren, you know that in the early days God made a choice among you, that by my mouth the Gentiles would hear the word of the gospel and believe. 8 And God, who knows the heart, testified to them giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He also did to us; 9 and He made no distinction between us and them, cleansing their hearts by faith. 10 Now therefore why do you put God to the test by placing upon the neck of the disciples a yoke which neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear? 11 But we believe that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, in the same way as they also are.”

Notice what Peter says here. this salvation is for all disciples. not just jews or greek... but BOTH. Not according to Mosaic law. it is a yoke which no one can bear.

SO WHAT GOOD IS THE OLD TESTAMENT? well ....

Romans 15:4 For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

So what does that mean???

Do the OT and NT form a whole? Yes.

Matt 5:17 “Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

This is a portion of the Sermon on the Mount. Jesus instructs things that are different from the Law. He wanted to make it clear he was not against the law... The OT is essential in God's plan. Jesus came to give a new law that replace the old law... but the old law is not to be destroyed because it told in its prophecies that it would be replaced. crazy huh? well hang on...

The Hebrew writer quotes Jeremiah31:31 and here's the passage in Hebrews 8:6-13 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, by as much as He is also the mediator of a better covenant, which has been enacted on better promises. 7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion sought for a second. 8 For finding fault with them, He says, “BEHOLD, DAYS ARE COMING, SAYS THE LORD,
WHEN I WILL EFFECT A NEW COVENANT
WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AND WITH THE HOUSE OF JUDAH;
9 NOT LIKE THE COVENANT WHICH I MADE WITH THEIR FATHERS
ON THE DAY WHEN I TOOK THEM BY THE HAND
TO LEAD THEM OUT OF THE LAND OF EGYPT;
FOR THEY DID NOT CONTINUE IN MY COVENANT,
AND I DID NOT CARE FOR THEM, SAYS THE LORD.
10 “FOR THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL
AFTER THOSE DAYS, SAYS THE LORD:
I WILL PUT MY LAWS INTO THEIR MINDS,
AND I WILL WRITE THEM ON THEIR HEARTS.
AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD,
AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE.
11 “AND THEY SHALL NOT TEACH EVERYONE HIS FELLOW CITIZEN,
AND EVERYONE HIS BROTHER, SAYING, ‘KNOW THE LORD,’
FOR ALL WILL KNOW ME,
FROM THE LEAST TO THE GREATEST OF THEM.
12 “FOR I WILL BE MERCIFUL TO THEIR INIQUITIES,
AND I WILL REMEMBER THEIR SINS NO MORE.”
13 When He said, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear.

Jesus came to fulfill the predictions of the prophets... naturally, they got their info from God. makes sense.

Let's talk about the 10 commandments. they are probably the most recognizable article of law in the OT. Are they binding today? No.

Wait! you mean i can steal and commit adultery and murder and all that stuff. No. Not at all. Let's look at the scriptures to understand the Old testament covenant law in regard to the New.

the 10 commandments no longer apply as law because the teachings of Christ supersede them. In the sermon on the Mount... what does Jesus say?

matt 5:21 “You have heard that the ancients were told, ‘YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER’ and ‘Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.’ 22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, ‘You good-for-nothing,’ shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, ‘You fool,’ shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.

You shall not commit murder is found in Exodus and Deuteronomy. But here we have Christ offering a new law. a new way of thinking... This was not found in the OT or the Old covenant... this was NEW.

Matt 5:27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY’; 28 but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

stepped on some toes there, huh? this not to say that up till this point men didn't lust after a woman... not at all. David did. But Jesus is saying that they are just as guilty.

Paul also talks about the 10 commandments in 2 Cor 3:7 But if the ministry of death, in letters engraved on stones, came with glory, so that the sons of Israel could not look intently at the face of Moses because of the glory of his face, fading as it was, 8 how will the ministry of the Spirit fail to be even more with glory? 9 For if the ministry of condemnation has glory, much more does the ministry of righteousness abound in glory. 10 For indeed what had glory, in this case has no glory because of the glory that surpasses it. 11 For if that which fades away was with glory, much more that which remains is in glory.

The gospel of Christ encompasses all the fundamental values of the 10 Commandments, but there are some omissions. Christians can't kill but not because there is a law that says, "DON'T DO THAT!" but rather because of their love for God and their fellow man. Love... it is the greatest of these.

However, there's no command in the new testament to not make statues... we are told not to worship idols... but under the Old Covenant, we couldn't even make a statue.

And the sabbath day is not applicable. Col 2:16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day— 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Lightning round...
Romans 6:14 For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

Romans 7: 4 Therefore, my brethren, you also were made to die to the Law through the body of Christ, so that you might be joined to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God.

Romans 7: 6 But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.

alot from romans but that makes sense since the problem of going back to the law for righteousness was present in the Church.

Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.

Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Galatians 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the law, being shut up to the faith which was later to be revealed. 24 Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor. 26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

Ephesians 2:14 For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall, 15 by abolishing in His flesh the enmity, which is the Law of commandments contained in ordinances, so that in Himself He might make the two into one new man, thus establishing peace, 16 and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross, by it having put to death the enmity.

Hebrews 9:16 and 17 tell us when the new covenant went into effect...

Jesus lived under the old Law... Galatians 4:4-5

Many things in the Gospel apply to the old law, but Christ also took His opportunities to teach the new law...

Both testaments are useful for our instruction. But we do no live under mosaic law. The law could not save us.

Hebrews 10:1 For the Law, since it has only a shadow of the good things to come and not the very form of things, can never, by the same sacrifices which they offer continually year by year, make perfect those who draw near. 2 Otherwise, would they not have ceased to be offered, because the worshipers, having once been cleansed, would no longer have had consciousness of sins? 3 But in those sacrifices there is a reminder of sins year by year. 4 For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.

the Law had no provision to forgive sins. the Blood of Christ can only do that.

Moses was a great man. a leader of God's people.

Elijah was a great prophet... but Jesus is Lord.

Mark 9:5 Peter *said to Jesus, “Rabbi, it is good for us to be here; let us make three tabernacles, one for You, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” 6 For he did not know what to answer; for they became terrified. 7 Then a cloud formed, overshadowing them, and a voice came out of the cloud, “This is My beloved Son, listen to Him!” 8 All at once they looked around and saw no one with them anymore, except Jesus alone.

You approach the OT with a desire to understand it for what it is. The Old Covenant that foretold the New.

You glean from it the purpose it was for... the old covenant or mosaic law was to bring us the knowledge of sin.
it is completely reliable... as it the NT or NC

In all ways is it reliable. To truly understand the OT, you must Understand the NT. Think for a moment. those who deny that Christ was the son of God... they still live under the law. do they (or did they in Christ's time) understand the OT...? No.

matt 23:29 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous, 30 and say, ‘If we had been living in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partners with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.’ 31 So you testify against yourselves, that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. 32 Fill up, then, the measure of the guilt of your fathers. 33 You serpents, you brood of vipers, how will you escape the sentence of hell?

The old testament is documented that there are some who did not understand the scriptures, they did not heed the words of God. The Old Testament was a shadow of things to come.

The law condemns.

Jesus saves.
You seem to referencing quite a few laws in the OT - does the OT consist of laws only?

Old 12-30-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
You seem to referencing quite a few laws in the OT - does the OT consist of laws only?
no...

the story of job is a wonderful story of faith.

I was just assuming that all this started with this quote...

Quote:
I believe that "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved", from the Old Testament Hebrews, to the sinner on the cross, to the centurion, to the Apostles, and to joeyknish ten years ago.

This standard applies to everyone equally. Moreover, "God . . . does not change", so it's really extraordinary that He would require different standards for salvation just based on the era in which one lived. Psalm 55:19.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
no...

the story of job is a wonderful story of faith.

I was just assuming that all this started with this quote...
Would you agree also that the OT also sets out lineages and tribes?

Old 12-30-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Would you agree also that the OT also sets out lineages and tribes?
well there were the 12 tribes... the tribe of Benjamin, Levi, Judah.... and so on... that what you mean?

Old 12-30-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
well there were the 12 tribes... the tribe of Benjamin, Levi, Judah.... and so on... that what you mean?
Yes.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Yes.
well, then yes... there were.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
well, then yes... there were.
Would you also agree with me that the Old Covenant comprises God's promise to forgive the Hebrews by following the laws outlined primarily in Leviticus and Exodus? For example, peope were required to bring him burnt offerings and sacrifices to atone for various sins?

Last edited by joeyknish; 12-30-2011 at 03:22 PM..

Old 12-30-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Would you also agree with me that the Old Covenant comprises God's promise to forgive the Hebrew by following the laws outlined primarily in Leviticus and Exodus? For example, peope were required to bring him burnt offerings and sacrifices to atone for various sins?
Sin is rebellion against God. Only God can determine how sins are forgiven.

Leviticus 17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you on the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood by reason of the life that makes atonement.’

Atonement is satisfaction for an offense. It is how we restore a broken relationship.Hebrews 9:22 And according to the Law, one may almost say, all things are cleansed with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.

Under the old covenant there was atonement through the blood of sacrificed animals. This prefigured the blood of Christ, which would be the ultimate sacrifice for sin.

Hebrews 10:11 Every priest stands daily ministering and offering time after time the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins;
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity