U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 11:48 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,525,145 times

Advertisements

Also, COC holds a different view on the concept of free will.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:34 PM

531 posts, read 357,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
different view as opposed to what? Just wondering...

Old 01-19-2012, 03:22 PM

2,778 posts, read 1,911,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Different than who? I am a member of the church of Christ. I believe God gave us free will to choose or reject Him. I don't see God as forcing us to love and obey Him.

Why would God want a bunch of robots or puppets? Why would Jesus bother to say to us, "Take up your cross and follow me," if we don't have free will to follow this command?

Blessings,

Katie

Old 02-25-2012, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 754 times
Some of the more progressive Churches of Christ are starting to change some and adapt to the fact that in the 21st Century they can never be a 1st century church. It is impossibile. churches with a large youth group, say 18 to 35 are changing faster. some churches are coming around to using instruments in worship, women are taking a larger roll in the church as well. Don't expect to see women preaching from the pulpit any time soon. Church services are be coming more lively, warmer in tone. Joy in the Good News. I expect Leroy Garrett has had a big impact on the chutch. Look to see more changes when the old guard fade or ease up on "protecting their turf." A saying from the founder Rev. Campbell, "We are just Christians, but not the only Christians." Amen.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:28 PM

2,529 posts, read 3,585,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinglebob View Post
A saying from the founder Rev. Campbell, "We are just Christians, but not the only Christians." Amen.
You're a member of the church of Christ? And you say Campbell is the founder, and you call him Reverend? Never before in my 41 years have I ever heard a member of the COC say such a thing.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinglebob View Post
Some of the more progressive Churches of Christ are starting to change some and adapt to the fact that in the 21st Century they can never be a 1st century church. It is impossibile. churches with a large youth group, say 18 to 35 are changing faster. some churches are coming around to using instruments in worship, women are taking a larger roll in the church as well. Don't expect to see women preaching from the pulpit any time soon. Church services are be coming more lively, warmer in tone. Joy in the Good News. I expect Leroy Garrett has had a big impact on the chutch. Look to see more changes when the old guard fade or ease up on "protecting their turf." A saying from the founder Rev. Campbell, "We are just Christians, but not the only Christians." Amen.
You may be talking about the Boston movement. This group is not identified with the mainline coC.

Blessings,

Katie

Old 02-26-2012, 07:49 AM

11,918 posts, read 13,026,014 times
HI, I heard about Campbell when I was a member of coC congregations. God bless and peace.

Restoration Movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-26-2012, 12:54 PM

8,668 posts, read 5,546,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Different than who? I am a member of the church of Christ. I believe God gave us free will to choose or reject Him. I don't see God as forcing us to love and obey Him.

Why would God want a bunch of robots or puppets? Why would Jesus bother to say to us, "Take up your cross and follow me," if we don't have free will to follow this command?

Blessings,

Katie
Katie:

You belong to a church?

I thought you simply had a group of friends that got together to worship God.

I read the doctrine of the church. Woman are not allowed to preach and you favored the earliest form of Christian music which is know in the RCC as Gregorian Chants. Two similarities with the RCC. Oops I forgot the good works for salvation---that is three!

How are your ministers ordained?

Hope you had a great Sunday!

God Bless!!!!!!

Old 02-26-2012, 01:36 PM

[quote=Julian658;23150206]Katie:

You belong to a church?

I thought you simply had a group of friends that got together to worship God.

I read the doctrine of the church. Woman are not allowed to preach and you favored the earliest form of Christian music which is know in the RCC as Gregorian Chants. Two similarities with the RCC. Oops I forgot the good works for salvation---that is three!

How are your ministers ordained?

Hope you had a great Sunday!

God Bless!
★***********************★**★*************★******** ********-*******************************

Hi Julian,

Good to see you on the church of Christ thread.

Yes, of course I belong to a church, the Lord's church. I do meet with a very small group of friends to worship according to the NT pattern. We call ourselves church of Christ but we are answerable to no central organization or authority other than heaven and the scriptures. We are autonomous.

We could call ourselves by different Biblical names but because of federal government non profit status we need to have an official name. So we choose church of Christ.

There are many churches of Christ who believe as we do, but then there are those who wear the name but believe and practice differently. Each congregation stands on its own. There is no written creed to direct us other than the Bible.

Trust me, we do not do gregorian chants. We don't have musical instruments in worship. We sing accapella, which translated is "music of the chapel". We sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. The early church didn't have MI's, and we pattern ourselves after the early church of the NT. We do not have women preachers, and there is no such thing as ordination of ministers. The men of the congregation take part in the worship service by serving the Lord's Supper, leading in singing, preaching the gospel, praying, and collecting monies for the needs of the saints. It's all very simple, just the way the early church was.

And you bet we believe that salvation is by faith and works. We also believe baptism (by immersion) is necessary for salvation.

We speak where the Bible speaks. We're silent where the Bible is silent.

God Bless,

Katie

Last edited by katiemygirl; 02-26-2012 at 01:58 PM..

Old 02-26-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
HI, I heard about Campbell when I was a member of coC congregations. God bless and peace.

Restoration Movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Shana,
Imagine if all christians returned to the pattern of the early church we read about in the NT? Denominations would disappear and there would be unity. What a beautiful thought!
God Bless You Friend,
Katie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.