Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 09:54 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,480 times

Advertisements

tried to start a new topic ... I failed. :-)

Last edited by cowdog; 02-03-2013 at 10:52 PM..

Old 02-04-2013, 04:37 AM

307 posts, read 285,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Hey July8th,

The church of Christ sees Noah as a servant of God, and how the Bible praises him. We do not see him as "savage and ignorant" or making up "precepts of men" like those who have no understanding do.
So do most Christians and so did Jesus Christ. I suppose some think Jesus was wrong for believing His "Savage and Ignorant" ancestors too. They forget that Jesus was a Jew. He worshiped at the temple and performed all the "savage and ignorant" rituals His Father prescribed for them to do. So if accepting what Jesus did as of God makes us wrong in some peoples sights I don't care. They are just wrong. I try and show them the truth. I try and understand what it is they believe but they get offended. I only want to help them but they just trample it under foot and turn on me. I think Jesus talked about such things once.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:21 AM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Hey July8th,

The church of Christ sees Noah as a servant of God, and how the Bible praises him. We do not see him as "savage and ignorant" or making up "precepts of men" like those who have no understanding do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by July 8th View Post
So do most Christians and so did Jesus Christ. I suppose some think Jesus was wrong for believing His "Savage and Ignorant" ancestors too. They forget that Jesus was a Jew. He worshiped at the temple and performed all the "savage and ignorant" rituals His Father prescribed for them to do. So if accepting what Jesus did as of God makes us wrong in some peoples sights I don't care. They are just wrong. I try and show them the truth. I try and understand what it is they believe but they get offended. I only want to help them but they just trample it under foot and turn on me. I think Jesus talked about such things once.
Refusal to read the scriptures in the context in which they occurred (primitive, savage, barbarity) is why there is a veil of ignorance (blind minds) over reading the OT.

2 Corinthians 3:14-17

14But their minds were blinded: (Blind Mind = Ignorant) for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
15But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.
16Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.
17Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

I have shown scripture and explained my views . . . showing how the mainstream retention of ancient ignorance corrupts Christ's Gospel. That is the truth as I see it . . . but I don't claim it is THE truth as some more arrogant posters do. They just trample it under foot and turn on me accusing me of not being Christian or not being loving or not seeking fellowship. Jesus DID talk about such things.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:23 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
The church of Christ prides itself on being a "New Testament Church" However they cling to the god of destruction and evil plans of the old testament who demanded blood sacrifices, rules and rituals in order to get some reward or protection from Him.

Jesus was born a Jew, because of that he followed their "traditions" until His final words "It is finished" and the temple curtains were ripped apart and the true loving God became approachable for everyone.

It is very sad that many many religious organizations use the same things to rebuild the veil through (fear, rules and rituals) to keep us from Christ within us.

I finally left because I believed in the loving God of grace and mercy that Jesus came to show us. And because I saw members of His Church in many other people no matter where or who they worshipped with. Yes I see members of the church outside the confines of man's doctrines, and "church name"

I anguished over the hate and insults toward Baptists, Catholics and Muslims and all other denominations of religion coming from the pulpits, classrooms, and Wednesday night Bible study. Yet I remained silent for years and years because I am woman, created as an afterthought for the man, and no better than the women standing in the temple courtyard, because they too were only property and not worthy.

I am ever thankful to Him and the people he led to this forum who see God the way see I God. He perfects us. Never rejects us

Old 02-05-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
The church of Christ prides itself on being a "New Testament Church" However they cling to the god of destruction and evil plans of the old testament who demanded blood sacrifices, rules and rituals in order to get some reward or protection from Him.

Jesus was born a Jew, because of that he followed their "traditions" until His final words "It is finished" and the temple curtains were ripped apart and the true loving God became approachable for everyone.

It is very sad that many many religious organizations use the same things to rebuild the veil through (fear, rules and rituals) to keep us from Christ within us.

I finally left because I believed in the loving God of grace and mercy that Jesus came to show us. And because I saw members of His Church in many other people no matter where or who they worshipped with. Yes I see members of the church outside the confines of man's doctrines, and "church name"

I anguished over the hate and insults toward Baptists, Catholics and Muslims and all other denominations of religion coming from the pulpits, classrooms, and Wednesday night Bible study. Yet I remained silent for years and years because I am woman, created as an afterthought for the man, and no better than the women standing in the temple courtyard, because they too were only property and not worthy.

I am ever thankful to Him and the people he led to this forum who see God the way see I God. He perfects us. Never rejects us
Thank you for this hearfelt witness, Miss Blue. The Church of Christ is composed of all who follow Christ's commands to "love God and each other" daily and repent when they don't. It is not in a building or a denomination of some named religion. The religious leaders who have perpetrated and retained the ancient ignorance that corrupts Christ's NT Gospel into the "Bad News" of the OT carry a heavy burden.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:37 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,017,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post

A GLORIOUS TESTMONY!!!! Thank you Miss Blue! Makes me think of this song:

Chris Tomlin Indescribable - YouTube

Old 02-08-2013, 04:14 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,270,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbatl View Post
I was born and raised CoC, and aside from a couple of (long) wanderings, have been there for 40 years. But have been questioning the doctrine more and more. First thing I did was set aside time to read the NT from start to finish.

Got to say, having trouble reconciling some the "obstacles to salvation" that my local church is throwing up, to the teachings of the apostles.

But, I'm a work in progress. We'll see where this journey leads. I was fascinated to find a 200-page discussion of this, and look forward to following all of your thoughts.
How is the work coming along? Still have questions about the doctrine?

Blessings,

Katie

Old 02-09-2013, 10:21 AM

14,880 posts, read 17,156,182 times
Quote:
So do most Christians and so did Jesus Christ. I suppose some think Jesus was wrong for believing His "Savage and Ignorant" ancestors too. They forget that Jesus was a Jew. He worshiped at the temple and performed all the "savage and ignorant" rituals His Father prescribed for them to do.
I agree with this There was a purpose of the OT law, rituals and all.

Galatians 3:19 Why the Law then? It was added [ac]because of transgressions, having been ordained through angels by the [ad]agency of a mediator, until the seed would come to whom the promise had been made. 20 Now a mediator is not [ae]for one party only; whereas God is only one. 21 Is the Law then contrary to the promises of God? May it never be! For if a law had been given which was able to impart life, then righteousness [af]would indeed have been [ag]based on law. 22 But the Scripture has shut up [ah]everyone under sin, so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.
23 But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the law, being shut up to the faith which was later to be revealed. 24 Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a [ai]tutor.

God bless and peace.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by July 8th View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
I agree with this There was a purpose of the OT law, rituals and all.
Galatians 3:19 Why the Law then? It was added [ac]because of transgressions, having been ordained through angels by the [ad]agency of a mediator, until the seed would come to whom the promise had been made. 20 Now a mediator is not [ae]for one party only; whereas God is only one. 21 Is the Law then contrary to the promises of God? May it never be! For if a law had been given which was able to impart life, then righteousness [af]would indeed have been [ag]based on law. 22 But the Scripture has shut up [ah]everyone under sin, so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.
23 But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the law, being shut up to the faith which was later to be revealed. 24 Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a [ai]tutor.
God bless and peace.
The law WAS for the schoolmaster stage of our spiritual evolution when we were largely savage and barbaric. The fear of God was the only effective motivator to learn the beginning of wisdom and self-control of our baser urges. It worked and by the time of Christ the "fields were ripe for the harvest." We were capable of learning and using Love as the motivator for our self-control. The true nature of God and the Spirit behind the laws was revealed by Christ . . . to promote and enable "love for God and each other" through self-control of our baser urges.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:52 AM

307 posts, read 285,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The law WAS for the schoolmaster stage of our spiritual evolution when we were largely savage and barbaric. The fear of God was the only effective motivator to learn the beginning of wisdom and self-control of our baser urges. It worked and by the time of Christ the "fields were ripe for the harvest." We were capable of learning and using Love as the motivator for our self-control. The true nature of God and the Spirit behind the laws was revealed by Christ . . . to promote and enable "love for God and each other" through self-control of our baser urges.
Thank you for sharing your OPINION. I prefer to accept God and His written word over man's. Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-09-2013 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: sarcastic off topic and insulting the poster are deleted. See sticky atop main forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity