Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2008, 12:47 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,167,648 times

Advertisements

Nothing saves me but the blood of Jesus.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:52 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,549,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post

That is what the song says, doesn't it!!!!

Old 12-23-2008, 12:54 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,167,648 times
Marian, that's low. You think I'm going by a song? Enough of this conversation. I am saved by the blood of the Lord. Period. End of story. You don't like it? Too bad. The Lord leads me...no man.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:03 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,549,348 times
Quote:
Marian, that's low. You think I'm going by a song? Enough of this conversation. I am saved by the blood of the Lord. Period. End of story. You don't like it? Too bad. The Lord leads me...no man.
Well, get angry if that is what pleases you, but there are a lot of scriptures that tell us what we must do do be saved, and none of them cancels out the others!

I am sorry, but the Lord leads you through the scriptures....no other way!!!

Old 12-23-2008, 01:11 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
Keeling at the altar:
It is not found in the NT however if we go strictly by the NT the 10 commandments would be worthless to us.

Lifting of Hands:
And he led them out as far as to Bethany, and he lifted up his hands, and blessed them. (Luke 24:50)

Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees. (Hebrews 12:12)

Communion:
Acts 20:7 says they came together to break bread on the first day of the week which is communion however it never ever says you must do this on the first day of the week its just a tradition of Church of Christs.

Laying on of the hands:
I am talking about James 5:14

Holy Spirit:
The Apostle Paul clearly taught that we receive the Holy Spirit the moment we believe in Jesus Christ as our Savior. John said he baptizes with water and Jesus baptizes with the Holy Spirit (Mark 1:8)

Saved without Baptism:
My point is you that its not necessary to be baptized because I believe you should be but what happens if you get saved and then die before your baptized the Church of Christ I am a member of believes you must hit the water immediately or your not saved. Well lets see what the bible says in Romans 10:13 "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" in Ephesians 2:8 "For by grace are ye saved through faith and that not of yourselves it is the gift of God" Titus 3:5 " he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit"
I do not believe we live under the OT, otherwise you would need to obey everything in it, not just kneeling at an altar. The ten commandments are all repeated in the NT, with the exception of the Sabbath.

Are you saying that in Luke, when Jesus lifted His hands and blessed the people, is the same as what you said earlier, about us lifting our hands and praising God? I don't see the connection. Hebrews is talking about strengthening the weak. It says to lift the hands which hang down, and lift the feeble knees...do you believe we must lift our knees as well?

Communion...you're right, no where does it say you MUST DO THIS EVERY SUNDAY, but as I explained before we have the example they did it on Sunday, so we do it too.

James 5:14...I'm very sorry you've never witnessed elders praying for the sick.

Holy Spirit..."The Apostle Paul clearly taught that we receive the Holy Spirit the moment we believe in Jesus Christ as our Savior." Please show me where, so I can comment. Thanks!

Earlier you said, "When you are saved you receive the gift of the Holy Spirit not when baptized"...but the bible says...""Then Peter said unto them, Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." Which is correct?

"Romans 10:13 "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" And how do we call on his name? Acts 22:16..."And now why tarriest thou? Arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord." The bible also says, "Matthew 7:21..."Not everyone that says unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven." Does the bible contradict itself, or does it make sense that just calling on His name isn't enough, but one must obey too?

Ephesians 2:8 "For by grace are ye saved through faith and that not of yourselves it is the gift of God" Titus 3:5 " he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit" Absolutely!!! It is a gift of God, one we must accept. As I've said, we are not worthy of salvation, but we must accept it and obey God in order to receive it.

If after you have studied the scriptures, and have decided the church of Christ does not line up to your beliefs, of course you should look elsewhere. I'm just saying why I believe it is the right place for me to worship.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Amen StirringWaters! Without His blood, none would be saved. That's not what we differ on. The way we differ is how we believe one comes in contact with Jesus' blood.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:25 PM

309 posts, read 512,030 times
In the Church of Christ I go to the elders occasionally pray for others but do not put their hands on them. If you wanna lift your knees to worship and praise by all means do so. When the Spirit is moving there is no telling what you may end up doing. There will be dancing and shouting in the Presence of the Lord. As far as communion the CoC i attend says its commanded of us and I am sorry I just dont see it but rest assured I sure do love it. The Apostle Paul clearly taught that we receive the Holy Spirit the moment we believe in Jesus Christ as our Savior. 1 Corinthians 12:13 declares, "For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body-whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free - and we were all given the one Spirit to drink." Romans 8:9tells us that if a person does not possess the Holy Spirit, he or she does not belong to Christ - "You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ." Ephesians 1:13-14 teaches us that the Holy Spirit is the seal of salvation for all those who believe, "Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession-to the praise of his glory." As far as Matthew 7:21 he is talking about those who aren't doing the will of the father. The ones who are still sowing bad seeds and acting like they can just say Lord save me and still do what they want. There is no contradiction that is one great thing about the Bible it is not contraditory. These three Scriptures make it clear that the Holy Spirit must be received at the moment of salvation.
Look im not on here to slam any denomination as I am going through a battle of my own but my eyes are starting to open as how my beliefs and Church of Christ believes differ.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
Look im not on here to slam any denomination as I am going through a battle of my own but my eyes are starting to open as how my beliefs and Church of Christ believes differ.
I totally hear you, deerdog. I'm going through a battle myself. I'm not attending worship service like I should, and when I do "align" myself with a certain congregation, it won't be the one I did worship at for about 10 years. I just don't agree with everything they believe anymore.

By all means, open your eyes and study. May the Spirit lead you through His Word!

Old 12-23-2008, 01:39 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
2 Thess. 1.7 & 8 and to give you who are troubled rest with us when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels,
in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Now, what do you think?? Does obedience save us???
We are saved by the grace of God..If we believe and are repentant our sins are washed in the blood of Christ imediately and they give us the GIFT of the Holy Spirt...The Father, the Son, and the Spirit between them do the work, lest we become filled with pride..If BELIEF is obedience, then YES it saves us...

Old 12-24-2008, 06:51 AM

309 posts, read 512,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
We are saved by the grace of God..If we believe and are repentant our sins are washed in the blood of Christ immediately and they give us the GIFT of the Holy Spirt...The Father, the Son, and the Spirit between them do the work, lest we become filled with pride..If BELIEF is obedience, then YES it saves us...
Amen!!! it is by grace and one of my questions for other Church of Christ members like me is When someone from another denomination wants to join your church why are they asked to be re-baptized for the remission of sin. That should be pretty clear that even though they do say ALL Christians are saved and going to heaven then why do they need to be re-baptized? Now I do know that is just their laws but they say your baptism wasn't for the right reasons so then does that make other denominations not saved? I do know that bible says there is only ONE Baptism so why isn't that first one good enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity