Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2009, 12:01 PM

241 posts, read 377,146 times

Advertisements

Believing is only part of what we have do to be saved. You can tell yourself that you believe you can be a doctor. If all you do is believe, then you will never be one until you get up and do something about it. It takes a combination of things, not just one. Faith and works is a good example (James 2). When Paul was talking to the church in Corinth in I Corinthians 15:1-4 about the gospel. It's more than the facts of believing the gospel of Christ. It has commands that must be obeyed. Everything we do in the church of Christ is centered around the gospel of Christ. Read Rom. 1:16-17. My point is this. All the good deeds or righteous things that people do is in vain until they obey the gospel of Christ. Our righteousness are as filthy rags (Isa. 64:6). But when we obey the gospel, then and only then will our righteousness become God's righteousness. Read Acts 10 about Cornelius.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:22 PM

112 posts, read 172,460 times
Thanks Guys I am so glad I was led here by Google, I had a guy install me a new mail box today and he invited me to his church 'Church Of Christ' I told him I may consider coming sometimes, he said he would have the pastor send me a bulletin from the church, well somehow he and the pastor got together and delivered the bulletin to my home this afternoon. Thank God we live in America where we (So far) can worship as we please, if everything you guys say about this church is true I don't think I will be going any way soon. Thanks

Old 04-20-2009, 07:43 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,520,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KySS View Post
Thanks Guys I am so glad I was led here by Google, I had a guy install me a new mail box today and he invited me to his church 'Church Of Christ' I told him I may consider coming sometimes, he said he would have the pastor send me a bulletin from the church, well somehow he and the pastor got together and delivered the bulletin to my home this afternoon. Thank God we live in America where we (So far) can worship as we please, if everything you guys say about this church is true I don't think I will be going any way soon. Thanks

That is sad! All we do is teach the scriptures and obey them! I am truely sorry that is offensive to you.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:41 AM

309 posts, read 509,086 times
I am still waiting on an answer to my question from Christopher what do you believe if someone dies before they are baptized? Are they still saved? The bible doesn't teach that the only way to paradise is through baptism. Also if they only way to be saved is by baptism for remission of sins what about other churches that dont baptize for remission of sin but as an outward showing. Then are they not going to heaven? If that is what that means than in reality only CofC denominations really do think they are the only ones going to heaven.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
I am still waiting on an answer to my question from Christopher what do you believe if someone dies before they are baptized? Are they still saved? The bible doesn't teach that the only way to paradise is through baptism. Also if they only way to be saved is by baptism for remission of sins what about other churches that dont baptize for remission of sin but as an outward showing. Then are they not going to heaven? If that is what that means than in reality only CofC denominations really do think they are the only ones going to heaven.
I believe that if you are not baptized before you die, no you are not saved because baptism is for the remission or forgiveness of sins (Acts 2:38). There is no such thing as deathbed repentance. God gives every man who is in his right mind the opportunity to do His will. If man does not do anything about his undone condition, then it is his fault, not God's or anybody else. God allow us to do what we want to do (John 12:48). I believe that you are too stuck on the thief and not on the other people in the book of Acts. As I have said before, the laws changed. Manmade laws have changed. There was a time when people didn't have to pay taxes but not anymore because the laws have changed. As for other churches, if they don't baptize for the reason that God himself said, no they can't go to heaven and that goes for anybody. God knows what he is doing. Just do exactly what God says.What is so hard about that. And when you don't do it like He says, then you don't have faith in His word. Don't misunderstand me deerdog, I'm no better than anybody else. Anybody who does exactly what God says until the end will go to heaven.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:23 AM

309 posts, read 509,086 times
No misunderstanding here Church of Christ only in heaven. Just hope and pray for those that wanna be saved and after they ask for forgiveness and they confess they dont have a heart attack on the way to the water cause no matter there heart they are not saved according to your beliefs. And im not stuck on anything just trying to understand your belief.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:44 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,767,010 times
Quote:
Are you implying that only the CofC baptizes for the forgiveness of sin?

Cause if you are, that's not true. The RCC and I''m pretty positive that the Orthodox churches do also.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
No misunderstanding here Church of Christ only in heaven. Just hope and pray for those that wanna be saved and after they ask for forgiveness and they confess they dont have a heart attack on the way to the water cause no matter there heart they are not saved according to your beliefs. And im not stuck on anything just trying to understand your belief.
Yes, church of Christ only in heaven because the church is Christ's wife and it is already been written (Eph. 5:23-27 Rev. 21:9-10 Heb. 12:22-23). As for someone who might have a heart attack just before they are baptized they will still be saved if their heart was right and they understood why they were being baptized. God deals with the heart (mind) of man. You are getting hypothetical. I hope you understand my beliefs because it is based on the scriptures, not just what I believe. I have to have scripture to support what I believe. I also hope that you are reading and understanding these scriptures I am giving you. If you don't mind me asking deerdog, where are you from? What church do you attend if you attend?

Old 04-21-2009, 01:03 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,336,361 times
Default this day thou shalt dweel w/ me in paradise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher c. sr. View Post
(Continuation from last thread). I know people also use the thief on the cross to say that you don't have to be baptized to be saved because the bible did not say the thief was baptized. Well, the bible did not say that he wasn't baptized either because John the Baptist baptized alot of people and who is to say that the thief wasn't one of them. He did know something about Jesus because he asked Jesus to remember him. This situation about the thief is totally irrelevant to baptism. The law was changed after the death of Christ. Ex. Adam was created from the dust of the earth and the woman from the rib of the man. Now, everyone who was to come into the world after that had to be born of a woman, meaning that man and woman had to come together sexually, why? Because that was God's law and nobody can change that. One more scenario why baptism is essential to salvation. The Isralites being in bondage in Egypt. When they crossed the Red Sea, it was a type of baptism. Them being in bondage was a type of sin, they were baptized when the crossed the Red Sea, when Pharoah and his army tried to cross, they were killed and the Israelites were saved. All this was a shadow of the real thing to come after the death of Christ. Read 1Cor. 10:1-2.
i ran across this by accident. i would like to respond to a statement about the thief on the cross, we know, from the scripture in the gospel, that christ carried on a conversation w/ one individual w/ whom he was being crucified. during that conversation, the thief became a believer for whatever reason. we know this because he asked the lord to remember him in paradise, an inference drawn that the thief believed in the message of christ. it is a moot point regarding the need for baptism, for new testament baptism was unnecessary until the death of christ. christ, the head of the church, certainly had the power to ask for this sinner's entrance into paradise---through god, the father. you might say that the thief went straight to the man. obviously, the thief's belief and desire was justified. it was god who justified. i certainly would not mind having been in this thief's position.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:22 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,336,361 times
Default only in heaven...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
Are you implying that only the CofC baptizes for the forgiveness of sin?

Cause if you are, that's not true. The RCC and I''m pretty positive that the Orthodox churches do also.
baptism is the outward expression of an inward faith. it is the last operative action completed by the believer that puts the believer into a saved position in the lord and his church. baptism is for the washing away of our sins. upon being baptized, we have become new the bible says. the bible equates the newly baptized to babes...particularly babes in christ. this anology is meant to show us that, as new christians, we are babes who are to grow in the strength and knowledge of the lord. baptism begins our complete journey and walk w/ the lord in his church. the bible says that becoming a christian is so simple that even a fool could not fail to understand the process. the hearer must hear the gospel (good news), he must believe that good news, he must be convicted that he needs salvation and that he must repent of his sins, he must confess that jesus christ is lord, and then he must follow christ in baptism for the remission of sins. after being raised from baptism as a new creature, he begins his walk in the light of christ. on that walk, he gains more and more knowledge and applies this knowledge to himself and to others in the service of the kingdom of christ. it is simple to become a christian; however, it is difficult to walk the path. you must follow the pattern in the new testament: not your own way. the keys to his kingdom are free to open the door. you just have to have the right keys and the right lock. the bible says to work out your own salvation with fear (respect) and trembling (care).

Last edited by kingchef; 04-21-2009 at 01:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity