Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 09:36 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrbuck View Post
This writer is absolutly correct. Please ask questions and investigate. The New Testament has all the answers. If it is not authorized in the New Testament, then it shouldn't be practiced in worhsip services. Do not add to or take away from what the Lord has commanded. He is very specific about how we are to do things and the way should worship. And warns us to keep his teaching.
Well I hope you don't have chairs, carpet, electricity or running water because none of those things are authorized in the New Testament, right?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:25 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
Default The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Wow...this is a very informative thread on the church of Christ and how the religous world views them. There is definately alot of misunderstanding about the Lords church and who we really are.

I've noticed several people refering to the church of Christ members as cambelites I guess after Alexander Cambell. Alexander Cambell never started the church. The church of Christ was in existence in this country long before he came to this country. Alexander Cambell came to this country as a presbyterian and pleaded with the denominational world to drop the creeds and other divisive things and be just Christians. (on the side of the building where I assemble, the sign says church of Christ. Established AD33 in Jerusalem. Founder Jesus Christ.)

From my understanding the term church of Christ is moreso a statement of ownership vs a denominational name. Everyone in the assembly on sunday claim to be a Christian not a Cambelite or a church of Christer.

We just believe in the bible. Nothing more Nothing less. In todays religous climate it is tough for people to realise that there is a such thing as a undenominational church. People have a hard time understanding that Christ is the head of his church not pastor billy bob. People have a hard time understanding that the word church in original text means the called out (echlesea i think) Not some division or denomination.

It takes alot of independent thinking to see things that we where taught not to see. Being a Chrisitian is all about a christian and their relationship with God through his son Jesus Christ. Denominationalism is a product of satan not of Christ. Satan wants us to believe in man made doctorines and to have debates and cause confusion. (thats what denominationalist do)

My advise to anyone that is looking at Christianity is to examine the bible first and only the bible. Man will lead you wrong everytime.
Amen!
I have been a member of the church of Christ over 41 years. I am a woman.
I have not seen any of the wierd things that 'we' have been accused of.
The church is autonomous. Each congregation answers to no one but Christ, and God.
Our only doctrine is the bible, the Word of God.
There is a lot of diversity in congregations. In many there is a lot of worldlyness creeping in. I have seen it in congregations that we have worshiped with. The little group that we have worshipped with for about 30 years is very sound in the doctrine. We are as one family. We help all those that we hear of in our area who needs help, regardless of their faith...or lack of faith.
We believe that adding to or taking away fron God's word is a dangerous thing to do. Rev.22:18
Christ established only one church. That is the one that he suffered and died for. It is the one that those who believe and are baptized are added to. Acts 2: 38-41. ( Ephesians 4:4-6)
We are warned about not abiding in the teaching of Christ,,( 2 John 9).

If you chose to 'do your own thing' , you are free to do so....We ( in the church) will pray for you, and , if we get the chance, will invite you to visit our congregation, and ask you to search the scriptures to see if what you are being taught is so.

Marian

Last edited by Towhee; 04-17-2008 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: misprint

Old 04-18-2008, 09:30 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandy997 View Post
Since instuments was not a part of the orginal church furthermore was not in use until around 700 years after christ was killed, they were omitted. We do NOT hate other churches that have them... we just choose to leave them out for safety.
I didn't realize instuments were so hazardous. Although I have commented to some of the violin players walking around with there bows out, "Hey, you could put an eye out with that."

Old 04-18-2008, 09:36 AM

Default Hazarous

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I didn't realize instuments were so hazardous. Although I have commented to some of the violin players walking around with there bows out, "Hey, you could put an eye out with that."
I presume that was supposed to be funny?

Real Christians avoid anything that may not be authorized by God. The 'hazard' is being disobedient to Him!

Old 04-18-2008, 09:43 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post

Real Christians avoid anything that may not be authorized by God. The 'hazard' is being disobedient to Him!
So "real Christians" don't use intruments?

Old 04-18-2008, 09:52 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,217 times
Quote:

Wait a minute, didn't King David use instruments in praising the Lord? I'm sorry but it's not hazardous to use musical instruments to worship or praise the Lord. So, I enjoy playing my guitar and singing songs to Jesus; does that make me an unreal christian?

I know that christians can take music to another level where it's the music they worship, but if our hearts are right with the Lord, what's the problem?

Regarding the Church of Christ debate, my grandmother is in the Church of Christ and although I love her dearly, she still takes issue with us who aren't in that denomination because she thinks that most of us in the family aren't christians. I had a hard time with that in the past, but the more mature I became in my walk with Christ, I was able to discern things better and go from there. On one occasion, we just decided that we both love the Lord and want to serve Him, so she doesn't bring up the issue anymore, at least to me. She still brings it up to my mom and aunt, who are both followers of Christ.

Last edited by UNT_Eagle; 04-18-2008 at 10:02 AM..

Old 04-18-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
Wait a minute, didn't King David use instruments in praising the Lord? I'm sorry but it's not hazardous to use musical instruments to worship or praise the Lord. So, I enjoy playing my guitar and singing songs to Jesus; does that make me an unreal christian?

I know that christians can take music to another level where it's the music they worship, but if our hearts are right with the Lord, what's the problem?

Regarding the Church of Christ debate, my grandmother is in the Church of Christ and although I love her dearly, she still takes issue with us who aren't in that denomination because she thinks that most of us in the family aren't christians. I had a hard time with that in the past, but the more mature I became in my walk with Christ, I was able to discern things better and go from there. On one occasion, we just decided that we both love the Lord and want to serve Him, so she doesn't bring up the issue anymore, at least to me. She still brings it up to my mom and aunt, who are both followers of Christ.
In answer to your question, please read Amos 6:1-5, espacially verse 5.

How did you become "more mature " in your " walk with Christ? I understand maturity comes with knowing the word of God and obeying it.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:31 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,217 times
Quote:
In answer to your question, please read Amos 6:1-5, espacially verse 5.

How did you become "more mature " in your " walk with Christ? I understand maturity comes with knowing the word of God and obeying it.
Exactly, you answered it for me right there as we know the word of God and obey it. I don't want to keep repeating what I've already said earlier. Please read my previous posts.
Blessings Take care

Last edited by UNT_Eagle; 04-18-2008 at 10:59 AM..

Old 04-18-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
Exactly, you answered it for me right there as we know the word of God and obey it. I don't want to keep repeating what I've already said earlier. Please read my previous posts.
Blessings Take care
But do you know the differance between the Old Testament, and the New? The two cannot be combined.

My 50 year old son is of the same persuation as you about instrumental music. He has been in the church since he was 10, so knows better...
I have the same outlook as your grandmother. It is very grievious to me.

I repeat...I would rather not do something that is not authorized in the New Testament, than to take a chance on losing my eternal soul! No matter how attractive the 'something' may be.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:35 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
Quote:
But do you know the differance between the Old Testament, and the New? The two cannot be combined.

My 50 year old son is of the same persuation as you about instrumental music. He has been in the church since he was 10, so knows better...
I have the same outlook as your grandmother. It is very grievious to me.

I repeat...I would rather not do something that is not authorized in the New Testament, than to take a chance on losing my eternal soul! No matter how attractive the 'something' may be.
please tell me that you dont seriously believe that if we worship God with music we can lose our soul over it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity