U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-30-2009, 06:11 PM

241 posts, read 243,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
So the other verses that say how to be saved along with believing are meaningless. Were they just put in for filler? From the scriptures you use I would think I don't even have to live a christian life to be saved. I just have to believe there is God. I don't need to repent or confess to get to heaven or is baptism the only thing I don't have to do to get to heaven. If there is one scripture that tells me I need to be baptized to be saved that is enough for me, but there are more that one.
Good point. If a person won't believe one verse, they probably won't believe a hundred. This shows a lack of faith whether they realize it or not.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:41 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,125,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher c. sr. View Post
Exactly what are you saying about Peter? That the church of Christ was built upon him?

indeed not. the church was built on no man. solely, it was established by christ and built on no man.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
indeed not. the church was built on no man. solely, it was established by christ and built on no man.
Yeah, I know. I was responding to someone else on this issue.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:34 AM

3 posts, read 4,015 times
...i find it very interesting to read these comments...the Churches of Christ worship strictly how the bible teaches..we, members of the church, do not add or take away from the scripture...if people who are not members of the church are offended by the CoC teachings then they are offended by the gospel...plain and simple..people need to quit looking at what is convenient, and they need to open their eyes to the truth...i encourage every person to visit a Church of Christ congregation and you will find that the teachings come strictly from the bible..for example..we take the Lord's Supper every Sunday because in the Bible it says to take it on the first day of the week..again we do not take away from the scripture like other denominations do in which they take communion when it is convenient..for it says in Revelation 22:18-19.. "For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.."

Last edited by nicolew25; 05-05-2009 at 01:06 AM..

Old 05-05-2009, 10:56 AM

3,981 posts, read 5,400,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolew25 View Post
...i find it very interesting to read these comments...the Churches of Christ worship strictly how the bible teaches..we, members of the church, do not add or take away from the scripture...if people who are not members of the church are offended by the CoC teachings then they are offended by the gospel...plain and simple..people need to quit looking at what is convenient, and they need to open their eyes to the truth...i encourage every person to visit a Church of Christ congregation and you will find that the teachings come strictly from the bible..for example..we take the Lord's Supper every Sunday because in the Bible it says to take it on the first day of the week..again we do not take away from the scripture like other denominations do in which they take communion when it is convenient..for it says in Revelation 22:18-19.. "For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.."

I wish to add to this....there are many congregations that call themselves the church of Christ that are adding to, and taking away. God will judge them, just as He did the seven churches of Asia. It is becoming more and more prevalent.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
I wish to add to this....there are many congregations that call themselves the church of Christ that are adding to, and taking away. God will judge them, just as He did the seven churches of Asia. It is becoming more and more prevalent.
You are so right about that, sis.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:10 PM

306 posts, read 311,830 times
Quote:
we take the Lord's Supper every Sunday because in the Bible it says to take it on the first day of the week..again we do not take away from the scripture like other denominations do in which they take communion when it is convenient..
There is no scripture in the bible that says to take it every Sunday. No one could love communion as much as I do but there is not a scripture that says we must do this on the first day of the week. It says as oft as you do this do it in remembrance of me

Old 05-05-2009, 02:12 PM

8,293 posts, read 14,506,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolew25 View Post
Let me say this as kindly as possible...

Your post is so full of errors that I don't know where to begin.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:42 PM

3,981 posts, read 5,400,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
There is no scripture in the bible that says to take it every Sunday. No one could love communion as much as I do but there is not a scripture that says we must do this on the first day of the week. It says as oft as you do this do it in remembrance of me

What day does the scripture say the early disciples came together to break bread?

Old 05-05-2009, 05:24 PM

8,293 posts, read 14,506,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
What day does the scripture say the early disciples came together to break bread?
Pretty much every day. Acts 2:42ff
They also met in the temple courts, but none of us do that.

If we're going to be consistent in our use of Acts 20:7, we probably should have worship services that last until at least midnight.

Seriously though, this whole approach leads to some very very serious issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.