U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-08-2009, 07:20 PM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,284,613 times
Reputation: 239

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post

And you sure are hung up on that word "moot" !!!!!
Your opinion of my posts are moot.

However I would never ask you to read any of my posts if you are offended by them.
Im told there is a way to place a forum member on ignore so that you will not have to read my posts...

 
Old 06-08-2009, 07:24 PM
 
342 posts, read 555,112 times
Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
The day you go to church is moot
The day you eat the Holy meal, is moot.
The day you dont go to work and sit around the house in your PJs, is moot.

Some Christians feel they have to go to church on one day over other days.
Some Christians think that must rest from work on one day and not others.

I dont care...
To each his own.

I go to church at a mid-week service
I wish the church wine was Port, but they only use grapejuice...."GrapeJuice?!"....
But thats the way life is...

While I feel free to go to church and rest on whatever day I think is best, the Bible teaches that I should not rub my freedoms in the face of brothers who are yet still bound under rules and traditions.

So while I consider the day of worship moot, I try to respect the views that are different.
Beating a dead horseIf you read your bible everthing is not MOOT! you have caused me to hate the word moot. Some who think thereselves Christians may not be and there whole life is MOOT
 
Old 06-08-2009, 07:36 PM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,284,613 times
Reputation: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
If you read your bible everthing is not MOOT!
There are many, many things we learn in the different denominations that are actually things that are in the bible.
They have a realness to them that is lasting.

But clearly as we have seen here there are also a lot of things that we learn in the different Christian denominations that are inventions, mostly harmless, but some effectly become walls that keep us from seeing things
 
Old 06-08-2009, 07:43 PM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,103,127 times
Reputation: 3744
Please do not feed the trolls.....
 
Old 06-08-2009, 07:47 PM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,284,613 times
Reputation: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
Here's another question for you. Should people know you are a Christian when you worship? And if so if you are worshipping in a Buddist temple then how would anyone know you were a christian?
Let us be very carefull in how we answer this, for there are many Christians in places like Iraq and Iran that dont have the luxury of a phonebook filled with Christian denominations to pick from.

Thus, we should first and foremost worship God is spirit, and that our reflection of our Lord is also seen of our spirit.

My comment about finding worship in all kinds of places including Buddist temples that have no christian sign out front is to show the pointlessness of the pride some denominations have at their buildings/programs or even in their church name.

So guess my answer is, that it would be nice if all of us could worship in a nice little safe and warm Christian denomination that fits us, however the truth is that lots and lots of us cant.
I would hope that if I cant show others an open act of my worship of God, that I still can show the effect of that worship has had on me...
(and in that end, that is the more important thing anyway)

Last edited by alanMolstad; 06-08-2009 at 08:16 PM..
 
Old 06-08-2009, 08:28 PM
 
309 posts, read 414,793 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
That would be for God to judge, but I have to use my own judgement for my salvation and when it says the first day of the week I'm going to assume it's every 1st day of the week and not try to determine what God meant. Do you think it's wrong to take it every week? And if not why would you want to do it any other way.
No I don't think it is wrong its just traditional that you all take it every Sunday I am I was even a part of that for over 2 years. I do think that maybe its a little too often but would be willing to do it because I love it so much. I mean the real reason we take communion is to remember the death of Christ. Not sure about all CofC but the one I attended the whole service was built around communion and that was the main purpose for being there. Now don't you think that taking it every Sunday is too often and people forget the real reason they are taking it and its just habit or "tradition"?
 
Old 06-08-2009, 09:01 PM
 
342 posts, read 555,112 times
Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
No I don't think it is wrong its just traditional that you all take it every Sunday I am I was even a part of that for over 2 years. I do think that maybe its a little too often but would be willing to do it because I love it so much. I mean the real reason we take communion is to remember the death of Christ. Not sure about all CofC but the one I attended the whole service was built around communion and that was the main purpose for being there. Now don't you think that taking it every Sunday is too often and people forget the real reason they are taking it and its just habit or "tradition"?
"the real reaon we take communion is to remember the death of Christ" How can you say that and in the same paragraph say "Now don't you think that taking it every Sunday is too often" If people forget the real reason they are taking communion (no matter how often) they need to work on their relationship with God. It will always be tradition no matter whether it is once a week, once a month, or once a year. My understanding of the bible is the 1st day of the week and again I would rather remember the sacrifice every Sunday than try to decide which 1st day of the week God meant. I don't want to be wrong. I do not like being critized for going to a church that offers this once a week. If others do not find it necessary to take the communion everyweek in remembrance of the sacrifice that is between them and God. I cannot go to a church that does not offer this every week.
 
Old 06-08-2009, 09:02 PM
 
241 posts, read 316,160 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
The above is the very same type of thinking that drove me from the Washington-COC.

As I said before, I saw a type of blindness within the COC to the goodness found in many other denominations becides their own.

But I was able then, (and I am still able), to see good Christians doing good works for the Lord in every church denomination I have even been part of, or just was at for a visit.

I truly have found blessings from God in every church I have walked into.

However I kind of ran into a man-made wall in front of some on my COC friends, that left them unable to see past this "They got the wrong name" childishness.
I have nothing against anyone in other churches. It's the doctrine that is taught. Sure there are alot of good people doing good things in other churches. Acts 10 talks about a man like that. He was religious and a good man but he was not saved. This tells me that being good is not good enough. But if the bible says Christian then that's what I'm going to say. We don't judge other churches because we can't judge them, that's God's job (1 Cor. 5:12-13). But we can prove to them what the bible says (1 Thess. 5:21).
 
Old 06-08-2009, 09:09 PM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,284,613 times
Reputation: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher c. sr. View Post
Acts 10 talks about a man like that. He was religious and a good man but he was not saved...
see?
see everyone?
See what I was saying about this wall?

You know looking back some 12 years now from the last day I walked into the Bellevue COC and seeing how I still run into the same wall of blindness, it's like I just was there ...LOL
 
Old 06-08-2009, 09:21 PM
 
241 posts, read 316,160 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
The day you go to church is moot
The day you eat the Holy meal, is moot.
The day you dont go to work and sit around the house in your PJs, is moot.

Some Christians feel they have to go to church on one day over other days.
Some Christians think that must rest from work on one day and not others.

I dont care...
To each his own.

I go to church at a mid-week service
I wish the church wine was Port, but they only use grapejuice...."GrapeJuice?!"....
But thats the way life is...

While I feel free to go to church and rest on whatever day I think is best, the Bible teaches that I should not rub my freedoms in the face of brothers who are yet still bound under rules and traditions.

So while I consider the day of worship moot, I try to respect the views that are different.
You must understand how the first century church worshipped and practiced. This is the example we go by. New Testament worship and practice is our pattern today. The reason you are saying what you are saying is because you don't understand NT pattern. I haven't seen you give much scripture, if any, on the things that you have said. You are just saying how you feel about things. It doesn't matter how we feel, what we think, or what our opinions are. It's about what God says. Our thoughts and ways are not like His (Isa. 55:8-9).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top