Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 11:25 PM

241 posts, read 376,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
I agree baptism is very important but don't agree that it is what saves you. The blood is what saves and we contact the blood in a spiritual way not in the water. Finish out Mark if you will with "But he that believeth not shall be condemned nothing about the baptism. The baptism is not a commandment. Your correct about Luke to repent don't see anything about baptism. I am not positive but I don't never see anything referring to the immersion of the baptism being water as in H2O if im wrong in scripture please clear that up for me. I do believe the immersion he is referring to is the immersion into the Word of God aka Being Baptized into the Word of God.
You are right, the blood of Jesus does save us because it washes away our sins, but you must come in contact with the blood through baptism (Rev.1:5). Notice these key words: washed and blood. How can you not understand Acts 2:38; 22:16; 1 Pt. 3:21? Baptism doesn't have to be mentioned on every page of the bible for it to be necessary. God only has to say it one time. As for Mark 16:16, a person who does not believe is not going to be baptized so this person has already condemned themselves. Baptism follows believing. If you don't believe, then there is no point in being baptized. Baptism is a commandment because Jesus told the disciples to baptize. He didn't say baptize them if they want to be baptized. They didn't have an option. It shows an act of obedience. If Jesus says to do it, then just do it and that's any command.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:22 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,084,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdollahite View Post
Belief is a work, too, you know..
Oh yes, that is also the answer Jesus gave when someone asked him "What is the work of God?"

The answer is: The work of God is to believe in Him that God sent into the world.

So there is nothing else needed...
No need to climb a mountain
Or visit the bottom of the sea...
Or go to a class.
Or drink a type of drink, or eath a type of food.
Or any need to read this or that book.

The only thing we do is believe...
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you are saved...

Old 08-27-2009, 05:24 AM

Quote:
you just took believing in Jesus Christ right out of salvation with your statement above.
LOL....I list "believe"
not once by two times in a very short post!...

and yet?...

Some people's kids I tell you......

Old 08-27-2009, 05:27 AM

Believing makes you saved.
Baptism is an outward sign of the fact that you are saved.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:19 AM

159 posts, read 229,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Believing makes you saved.
Baptism is an outward sign of the fact that you are saved.
So you do not think we need to repent? All we have to do is just believe there is a God and Jesus is Lord and we are saved? Then we can go fornicate, drink, be homosexual, murder, steal, etc. and go to heaven? I am just trying to verify if this is really what you believe before I throw about a million verses on here that contradict that idea.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:52 PM

4 posts, read 6,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
The only thing we do is believe...
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you are saved...
These are your words...but the Savior says:

"Except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish" (Lk. 13:3, 5)

"Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven" (Mt. 10:32-33).

"Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God...Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God" (Jn. 3:3, 5).

I'm not trying to be difficult, but here you say *just* believe, but it's clear from the Bible that Jesus taught there was more to it than that, including repentance, confession of His deity, and baptism into His name (which we learn from Acts 2:38; 22:16; et al that this baptism is for the forgiveness of sins).

No offense, but I'm going to stick with the Bible on this subject...

Old 08-27-2009, 08:02 PM

My posts are in Blue below....
(Things got kinda mixed up, but I think you can catch on where Im speaking and where your are)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonG View Post
So you do not think we need to repent?

To "repent" means to turn...to think about that next step in that direction.
But it would be silly to think that before a person is a Christian they have to list and repent of every sin in their lives.
The truth is that even understanding your own depth of sin can take a life time to get...
While there is a real need for all Christians to always repent of their sins...the fact is we would never see the need to unless we saw a point to repenting...

The point we see in repenting is that we believe that Jesus is Lord, and in the act of repenting we break down the walls betweeen us and our Lord.

The lost see no need to repent.

In fact, ever tell someone who does not believe in the Bible that they need to repent?
They just laugh at you right?
They just laugh at you because they dont believe in the Bible, dont believe in the Lord Jesus, and therefore they see no reason to repent.

However once a person does believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, the need to repent becomes clear.
==================================

All we have to do is just believe there is a God and Jesus is Lord and we are saved?

The term "believe" is not just to admit that a guy named "Jesus" once was born.
Even the demons burning in hell know full well the Jesus is a real person.
So in the Bible's context the term 'Believe" is not just talking about a superficial knowledge of the existence of Jesus.

Rather to "Believe " in Jesus is to turn to him for your salvation.

================

==========================

Then we can go fornicate, drink, be homosexual, murder, steal, etc. and go to heaven?

Christians should NEVER claim to be "Better" that the lost.
We are not better.

At best the Christians you run into in church are just as troubled as the rest of humanity when it comes to our personal issues.
We are gay, we are drunk, we are killers, we abort babies, we starve children, we beat our wives, we cheat on our taxes...

We are not "better" than the Lost.

The only real difference is that we are "Forgiven" of all our sins.
Not by our own merit, but by His blood.

===========================================

I am just trying to verify if this is really what you believe before I throw about a million verses on here that contradict that idea.
Fire away!!!!
I live to be challenged on issues that I have written on.
Too many people tend to disagree with me but lack any support in the Bible to back up their disagreement with me.
Please, Please, if you got a bunch of verses, lets see them!
!!!!

Always remember:
The Lost see no need to repent!

Last edited by alanMolstad; 08-27-2009 at 08:13 PM..

Old 08-27-2009, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,299 times
I am a member of the tinney street church of christ in talladega ala. The church of christ is the one and only church that you can be saved in. I have been a member since 1979 and have not doubted any wrong doings in the church. Please continue going and donot noone deter you from the truth when you find it. May God be with you.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
I'm not trying to be difficult, but here you say *just* believe,..
Yes....
Just believe...
Thats it...the trip is over and you have passed from death to life.

If you believe in Jesus Christ and that God raised him from the dead you are saved.
If you do not believe, the sins in your life have already condemned you.
---------------------------
Another way to think about this...
In my Bible class we were once challenged to find the heart of the Christian faith.

Here is the question my bible teacher asked my class:
What is the one thing in the Bible that if it is not true, then it doesn't really matter what else is true or not in the bible, because your faith is still pointless?

Or....another way to ask that same question.

What part of the bible has to be true for the Christian faith to go on even if all the other parts of the Bible are a big fat lie?

I will give you all night to think of the answer....

Old 08-28-2009, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,350 times
Default What the?

you mean they don't follow the bible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Thank God, I finally took a stand, I am free. Rob, you are thinking United Churches of Christ. Yes they accept homosexuality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity