Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 03:41 PM

531 posts, read 476,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyknish View Post
By the way, Romans 10 goes on to state "“Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

This is a quote from Joel 2:32.
And how does one call on the name of the Lord...?

Old 12-28-2011, 03:48 PM

91 posts, read 79,009 times
Just for my own edification (which is way off the current topic), I'd still like a response to whether or not we can pray the Psalms as a form of worship.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Just wanted to clarify that I just read this post. "If you declare with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved." Romans 10:9-10. Where is repentance mentioned here? are we saved without repentance?

If you are at a place to do these things, you will have reached a repentant heart already.
A lot of people would not agree with you on these boards... some say that if you have faith... you'll do everything else... but my point is that you can't take a scriputre and say well it says it here and it doesn't mention it this so you don't have to do it. because repentance is not mentioned. I read your response... but you are acknowledging that repentance is necessary i'm sure...

Old 12-28-2011, 03:55 PM

9,606 posts, read 1,156,604 times
Quote:
Just for my own edification (which is way off the current topic), I'd still like a response to whether or not we can pray the Psalms as a form of worship.
Of course you can. I see no reason you couldn't. Quite often we sing psalm 119. Nothing wrong with that. And if you want to read the 23rd Psalm during worship, there would be nothing wrong with that either, or any of the other psalms or anything from the Bible, old or new testaments.

Katie

Old 12-28-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomtkirk View Post
And how does one call on the name of the Lord...?
By a spirit of brokeness and extreme need.

"For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship.And by him we cry, “Abba,Father.” Romans 8:14.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:58 PM

9,606 posts, read 1,156,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher c. sr. View Post
Very true, Katie. If only a few have to sing, then why can't only a few give, pray, or partake of the Lord's supper? Everybody is commanded to sing, not just a few. In the church of Christ, the whole congregation is the choir. Worship is not proxy! No body can worship for another!
How true! Nice to have you here Chris. Thanks.

Katie

Old 12-28-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
A lot of people would not agree with you on these boards... some say that if you have faith... you'll do everything else... but my point is that you can't take a scriputre and say well it says it here and it doesn't mention it this so you don't have to do it. because repentance is not mentioned. I read your response... but you are acknowledging that repentance is necessary i'm sure...

Yes - I think if you profess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, then you must have already turned away from your sin. I guess I see the two as mutually exclusive (professing Jesus and well, continuing to sin).

Old 12-28-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
By a spirit of brokeness and extreme need.

"For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship.And by him we cry, “Abba,Father.” Romans 8:14.
Acts 22:12 “A certain Ananias, a man who was devout by the standard of the Law, and well spoken of by all the Jews who lived there, 13 came to me, and standing near said to me, ‘Brother Saul, receive your sight!’ And at that very time I looked up at him. 14 And he said, ‘The God of our fathers has appointed you to know His will and to see the Righteous One and to hear an utterance from His mouth. 15 For you will be a witness for Him to all men of what you have seen and heard. 16 Now why do you delay? Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name.’

Old 12-28-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Acts 22:12 “A certain Ananias, a man who was devout by the standard of the Law, and well spoken of by all the Jews who lived there, 13 came to me, and standing near said to me, ‘Brother Saul, receive your sight!’ And at that very time I looked up at him. 14 And he said, ‘The God of our fathers has appointed you to know His will and to see the Righteous One and to hear an utterance from His mouth. 15 For you will be a witness for Him to all men of what you have seen and heard. 16 Now why do you delay? Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name.’
Spiritually baptized, sure.

Also, there are a number of other instances of people calling on his name. For example, "One of the criminals who were hanged there was [l]hurling abuse at Him, saying, “Are You not the [m]Christ? Save Yourself and us!” 40 But the other answered, and rebuking him said, “Do you not even fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? 41 And we indeed are suffering justly, for we are receiving [n]what we deserve for our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.” 42 And he was saying, “Jesus, remember me when You come [o]in Your kingdom!” 43 And He said to him, “Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise.”

Luke 23.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:15 PM

All,

I really appreciate the open and honest debate. I try to treat everyone with dignity and respect, so I hope that my responses have not been too sharp or pointed at any individual(s) in anyway. My apologies if that inadvertantly happened.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity