Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 05:36 PM

241 posts, read 377,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
I totally agree.

Also, it appears that those who give Peter so much authority either forget, or reject, Paul! He had a lot more input onto the epistles to the churches than Peter.

These people seem to reject what Paul said about preacher "followers".
We follow the word of God, and all of it came from God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit.

We follow the scriptures not because of who wrote them, but who authorized them.
You are right about that Towhee. I was going to say the same thing concerning Paul. He was probably the greatest apostle of all. He was so dedicated to the cause of Christ that he didn't even take upon himself a wife.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:05 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,766,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher c. sr. View Post
You are right about that Towhee. I was going to say the same thing concerning Paul. He was probably the greatest apostle of all. He was so dedicated to the cause of Christ that he didn't even take upon himself a wife.
Then why is it in the bible that is Peter and the apostles, or Peter and his companions, and not Paul and the apostles, or Paul and his companions. The name Peter is mentioned most in the bible, 156 in the KJV, 184 in the NIV.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:24 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,519,755 times
Hmmm, I counted 182 Saul/Paul in the KJV. Not that it makes any differance.
I am sure Paul did not often speak of himself in the third person, in his epistles.
I do know he speaks of 'I' and 'we' frequently.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
Hmmm, I counted 182 Saul/Paul in the KJV. Not that it makes any differance.
I am sure Paul did not often speak of himself in the third person, in his epistles.
I do know he speaks of 'I' and 'we' frequently.
But what about it always being Peter and the apostles and such

Old 04-26-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
Then why is it in the bible that is Peter and the apostles, or Peter and his companions, and not Paul and the apostles, or Paul and his companions. The name Peter is mentioned most in the bible, 156 in the KJV, 184 in the NIV.
I don't know why but it not an issue. It really doesn't matter how many times someone's name is mentioned more than someone elses. That's just the way the bible was written. All of these guys were just ministers of God (1 Cor. 3:5).

Old 04-26-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
I don't know why but it not an issue. It really doesn't matter how many times someone's name is mentioned more than someone elses. That's just the way the bible was written. All of these guys were just ministers of God (1 Cor. 3:5).
It does matter, Yes they were all ministers of God, but Peter was obviously in charge.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
It does matter, Yes they were all ministers of God, but Peter was obviously in charge.
Just because his name is mentioned more than Paul's or any other apostle doesn't mean that he was in charge. And I ask, in charge of what? The keys (gospel of Christ) were given to Peter to open the doors of the kingdom (church). He even preached the first gospel sermon on the day of Pentecost. Peter wasn't the only one who Jesus told to go preach the gospel. There were 12 apostles and no apostle was in charge of the other. They all had the same mission. Jesus chose him just like He chose the others. You make it sound like Peter was better than the other apostles and that is just not true. God is no respecter of persons (Acts 10:34) and Peter said this himself. Peter, Paul, and the other apostles worked together to get the message of the gospel to the world and that's all. All men do not have the same ability (1 Peter 4:11).

Old 04-27-2009, 03:05 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,336,186 times
Quote:
Just because his name is mentioned more than Paul's or any other apostle doesn't mean that he was in charge. And I ask, in charge of what? The keys (gospel of Christ) were given to Peter to open the doors of the kingdom (church). He even preached the first gospel sermon on the day of Pentecost. Peter wasn't the only one who Jesus told to go preach the gospel. There were 12 apostles and no apostle was in charge of the other. They all had the same mission. Jesus chose him just like He chose the others. You make it sound like Peter was better than the other apostles and that is just not true. God is no respecter of persons (Acts 10:34) and Peter said this himself. Peter, Paul, and the other apostles worked together to get the message of the gospel to the world and that's all. All men do not have the same ability (1 Peter 4:11).
Peter1AD and others: i know you are sincere about your position on peter as the rock. i, for many years, was reared in the holy roman church. i attended catholic schools all my life, and believe me, i know the doctrine. do not blindly accept an answer from anyone. please, sit down w/ the kjv, rsv, niv, or asv of the scriptures, read the text, open up several bible commentaries and some analytical/comparative study references. cross-reference the subject of the church as listed in the new testament. keep an opened mind about what you read, pray for understanding and wisdom, reflect, and study some more. i truly believe that your answer will come to you through the word. please let me know if i can help you in any way. i realize that i have not cited a great deal of scripture in previous posts; however, i have always thought that too much scripture can overwhelm someone who is focused on one question at a time. nevertheless, scripture is available for every reason of belief. good luck to you. the plain and simple truth of the matter is that new testament christianty is a very simple concept that involves some very basic tenants. it is not obscured from believers by huge hierarchies, dogma, and ranked clerics. these things, unfortunately and sadly, are the inventions of man: not of our lord.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
Peter1AD and others: i know you are sincere about your position on peter as the rock. i, for many years, was reared in the holy roman church. i attended catholic schools all my life, and believe me, i know the doctrine. do not blindly accept an answer from anyone. please, sit down w/ the kjv, rsv, niv, or asv of the scriptures, read the text, open up several bible commentaries and some analytical/comparative study references. cross-reference the subject of the church as listed in the new testament. keep an opened mind about what you read, pray for understanding and wisdom, reflect, and study some more. i truly believe that your answer will come to you through the word. please let me know if i can help you in any way. i realize that i have not cited a great deal of scripture in previous posts; however, i have always thought that too much scripture can overwhelm someone who is focused on one question at a time. nevertheless, scripture is available for every reason of belief. good luck to you. the plain and simple truth of the matter is that new testament christianty is a very simple concept that involves some very basic tenants. it is not obscured from believers by huge hierarchies, dogma, and ranked clerics. these things, unfortunately and sadly, are the inventions of man: not of our lord.
Exactly what are you saying about Peter? That the church of Christ was built upon him?

Old 04-27-2009, 04:16 PM

341 posts, read 686,451 times
Quote:
The church of Christ is the church that lines back to Christ and Peter and this is the true church. Jesus did not build His church upon Peter. It was the statement that Peter made that He was the Son of God. If you really look at that scripture, Jesus said "upon this" and not "upon you Peter", I will build my church. The church of Christ has all the lineage and biblical authority to the early church. It was the early church and the same church today.
I know this might seem odd, but I was sitting in church (The Church of Christ) thinking about your posts that I have read through-out this thread. I know you feel that the CofC are the only people being saved and it dawned on me that by taking that stand we put a limit on God's grace. The CofC does more damage with that attitude. The bible does not say we are the only ones going to heaven. The bible gives us the plan of salvation to follow. After that it's grace that saves us. On judgement day I think that anyone Jesus choses to be with him in Paradise will be with him no matter where he choose to worship. I do believe you should be obedient to the plan of salvation. IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity