U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 06:38 PM

26 posts, read 225,364 times

Advertisements

I was recently invited to a Church of Christ, but really know nothing about the religion. Can someone fill me in? Thanks!

Old 10-15-2007, 07:11 PM

12,389 posts, read 14,886,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allwayz_smilin View Post
I was recently invited to a Church of Christ, but really know nothing about the religion. Can someone fill me in? Thanks!
Are you a woman?

Old 10-15-2007, 07:36 PM

11,501 posts, read 8,957,607 times

Quote:
Hi, I was a member for about 15 years. They are Christians and they pattern their teachings, worship services after what they see as presented in the New Testament scriptures. Some things that they are known for are singing without musical instruments in their services, the belief that baptism is essential to be saved and if you are not baptized for the remission of sins then you are not saved, the belief that communion is to be done every Sunday, the need for close fellowship, the belief that the congregation is to be under the authority of elders, the belief that those who are not in the church of Christ are not saved for the most part. Hope that helps.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:30 PM

6,965 posts, read 16,427,306 times
In other words, if you don't belong to their church, your chances of making it to heaven are very slim.

But, one thing they teach that doesn't sit well with many people is that women should be submissive to men and never speak in church.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:55 PM

11,501 posts, read 8,957,607 times
Here is a link that gives more info.

Churches of Christ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do want to say that I think that my affiliation with them was very beneficial to me at that time. It was a time when I began to really study the scriptures and they do place a lot of emphasis on this. I also made very good friendships. I am glad that I went through the experience although I don't hold to some of their teachings today.
The congregations that I was affiliated with did allow women to conduct Bible studies in the building or in homes, ect. but they had to teach other women only.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:14 AM

2,181 posts, read 3,769,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
In other words, if you don't belong to their church, your chances of making it to heaven are very slim.

But, one thing they teach that doesn't sit well with many people is that women should be submissive to men and never speak in church.
Funny, isn't it - because I thought the CoC was very liberal, particularly with respect to homosexuality and blessing same-sex couples. Or am I thinking of a different Church of Christ?

Old 10-16-2007, 05:18 AM

3,684 posts, read 8,418,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Funny, isn't it - because I thought the CoC was very liberal, particularly with respect to homosexuality and blessing same-sex couples. Or am I thinking of a different Church of Christ?
Woah! You must be thinking of a different one for sure! My husband was raised in the Church of Christ and although I'm sure some are stricter than others...they were very controlling of their members. He was only allowed to socialize with others from the church, their beliefs of other Christians were that if you were not from their church you were not saved and women were silent in the church and in the home. At one time they were listed on the FBI cult watch list for their controlling ways. Not a liberal church at all. Even my in-laws finally left once their kids were grown and all the kids flew as far away from religion as they could get. Not a place I would be interested in being a part of, IMO.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:20 AM

3,434 posts, read 6,642,327 times
I can sum up my thoughts on the ones I know in one word..Legalistic..and not something this guy wants to be part of.

Last edited by arguy1973; 10-16-2007 at 07:32 AM..

Old 10-16-2007, 07:30 AM

12,389 posts, read 14,886,241 times
Thank God, I finally took a stand, I am free. Rob, you are thinking United Churches of Christ. Yes they accept homosexuality.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-16-2007 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: fix content

Old 10-16-2007, 10:47 AM

2,895 posts, read 5,474,628 times
All I have to add is that it's okay to go and see what's going on, so you can experience first
hand. But I try not to speak negative about too many churches. My daughter went to one and we had to pray her out of there. Too much false doctrine, esp. the one that forbid the playing of instruments; My daughter was gullible at this time and obviously sucked in because of the fiance and his family; but when she finally had the courage to speak with me and get my opinion on this church; I told her I'd go with her one Sunday and then i'd tell her what I thought; I did this but I also noticed the coldness and cultish
atmosphere........(rambling....on my first cup of hot chocolate....) But my point is this; visit one time and see if what they teach line up with scripture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity