Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 05:03 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,528,439 times

Advertisements

[quote=The Venerable Bede;33302169]
Quote:
I remember laughing out loud when some pompous ass on Christian Forums expressed doubts about my Christianity because I had a "flawed understanding" of the Trinity, as if ANYONE has ANY real understanding of the Trinity!
What you wrote reminds me of that famous Augustine quote, "If you deny the trinity you lose your soul, if your try to explain the trinity you shall lose your mind."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 05:14 PM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorALly View Post
What you wrote reminds me of that famous Augustine quote, "If you deny the trinity you lose your soul, if your try to explain the trinity you shall lose your mind."
LOL! That's a good one!

Old 02-03-2014, 05:21 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorALly View Post
I went through a dozen or so sources and pulled out what all agreed were the Essentials of Christianity.
Essentials of Christianity
• The Deity of Christ
• Salvation by Grace through faith in Jesus Christ
• The Resurrection of Christ
• The Gospel
.... these Essentials of Christianity in the core and labels it Essential for Salvation. .
This looks like a good list of 'IRREDUCIBLE TRUTHS'. While some might argue that these are 'only' church doctrine or orthodoxy, they are essentially the basis of a belief in Christ which leads to Salvation. Drop any one of them and "Salvation" itself becomes something other than what the Bible declares.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:26 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Beware of the person of one book.

Saint Thomas Aquinas

Old 02-03-2014, 05:32 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Beware of the person of one book.

Saint Thomas Aquinas

“If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself.”

― Augustine of Hippo

Old 02-03-2014, 05:57 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Nowhere, does it say that he was a substitute according to the Scriptures.
Bore our sins, merely states he was pierced "because of" our sin.

For I delivered to you as of first importance, what I also received:

That Christ died for
(because of) our sins - according to the Scriptures.

And that He was buried; and that He was raised on the third day - according to the Scriptures.

In other words, according to the Scriptures without the Resurrection, your faith in his death would be in vain.

It's by and through his life, that we live:

"Love does not acknowledge itself, rather it seeks out what it can do for that of others; even in the midst of pain and suffering."
Yes it does. It says by saying that Jesus bore OUR sins in HIS body.
1 Peter 2:24 and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed.
That's substitution.

It says it in Isaiah 53 where it speaks of the Messiah rendering Himself as a guilt offering.
Isaiah 53:10 But the LORD was pleased To crush Him, putting Him to grief; If He would render Himself as a guilt offering, He will see His offspring, He will prolong His days, And the good pleasure of the LORD will prosper in His hand.
That's substitution.

It says it in Hebrews 10:10.
Hebrews 10:10 By this will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
That is substitution.

And 1 Corinthians 15:3
1 Cor. 15:3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for (huper; in behalf of; for the sake of) our sins according to the Scriptures,
And yes, that is substitution.
John 15:3 "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for (huper) his friends.
Jesus had to die in order to make salvation possible. As the Scriptures say
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Jesus paid that penalty on our behalf.

But if you refuse to accept the truth of that, then you reject it. You have the right to believe what you want.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:04 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Yes it does. It says by saying that Jesus bore OUR sins in HIS body.
1 Peter 2:24 and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed.
That's substitution.

It says it in Isaiah 53 where it speaks of the Messiah rendering Himself as a guilt offering.
Isaiah 53:10 But the LORD was pleased To crush Him, putting Him to grief; If He would render Himself as a guilt offering, He will see His offspring, He will prolong His days, And the good pleasure of the LORD will prosper in His hand.
That's substitution.

It says it in Hebrews 10:10.
Hebrews 10:10 By this will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
That is substitution.

And 1 Corinthians 15:3
1 Cor. 15:3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for (huper; in behalf of; for the sake of) our sins according to the Scriptures,
And yes, that is substitution.
John 15:3 "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for (huper) his friends.
Jesus had to die in order to make salvation possible. As the Scriptures say
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Jesus paid that penalty on our behalf.

But if you refuse to accept the truth of that, then you reject it. You have the right to believe what you want.
Actually the Scriptures refer to it as a "ransom". He paid the price for Adam's sin and relieved us of the potential consequences of being Adam's physical children, if we have Faith (an active faith) in Jesus shed blood.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:06 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
“If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself.”

― Augustine of Hippo
Great one!

Old 02-03-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Actually the Scriptures refer to it as a "ransom". He paid the price for Adam's sin and relieved us of the potential consequences of being Adam's physical children, if we have Faith (an active faith) in Jesus shed blood.
The Bible refers to Christ's work on the Cross in terms of redemption, and in terms of a ransom. Our personal sins were imputed to Christ who bore our sins in His own body on the Cross. Jesus paid the price for every sin of every person who has lived and who will ever live.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I do the same, Mike . . . but I approach the interpretation with a different context and a very different understanding of the TRUE NATURE of God as revealed by Jesus . . .. NOT what our ignorant savage ancestors believed ABOUT God. You rely on the barbaric beliefs ABOUT God in the OT and I believe what Christ revealed ABOUT God. This is the corrupt interpretation of Timothy that has misled the churches for over 2000+ years. Christ is the Living Word of God and He abides with us in our consciousness as the Comforter. The Bible is NOT the word of God . . . it revealed Christ and told us how to identify and validate Him. It is USEFUL (profitable) for instruction . . . that's it. Your mentors have interpreted the Bible for you . . . the Bible teaches nothing. It merely presents what our ancestors recorded about God and Christ. WE do the interpreting of it. We can do that intelligently and knowledgeably or we can blindly believe the simple reading of the multi-copied, multi-translated and multi-transliterated English. The latter is just foolish.
No, you absolutely do not back up what you say. You give personal opinions which are contrary to what the Bible teaches. The Bible is the Word of God. Two examples are the Book of Revelation which states plainly that Jesus gave the Revelation to John and that John recorded the Revelation (Rev. 1:1-2,11). The Book of Revelation is the Word of God.

The Book of Jeremiah plainly states that what is recorded in that Book is the Word of God.
Jeremiah 36:1 In the fourth year of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah, king of Judah, this word came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying, 2] Take a scroll and write on it all the words which I have spoken to you concerning Israel and concerning Judah, and concerning all the nation, from the day I first spoke to you, from the days of Josiah, even to this day.
The Book of Jeremiah is the Word of God. All the Books of the Bible are the Word of God. You simply refuse to believe it.

And I did not say that the entire Bible was dictated by God so don't even bother bringing that up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity