Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 02:59 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,491,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Thanks Preterist, I imagine I shall question and pray about matters of the bible and the confusion it causes until I learn the truth about everything in the next life..I believe that all of us who continuously search and seek for the meaning of scripture will be blessed for our need to know Him better..
Great thought, blue 62! We will never know all truths in this life, but, as you said, we must "continuously search and seek for the meaning of Scripture." Unfortunately, I believe there are far too few who are willing to do that.

In Christ, Preterist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 03:02 PM

In Matthew 10 Jesus is about to send out the Twelve. He instructs them on how they are to travel and to whom they are to travel--to the lost sheep of Israel. This is a very Jewish context.

They were to suffer great hardships and persecutions and some of them would stand before kings. These things all happened to these first disciples of Jesus in the first century, pre-A.D. 70.

In verse 23 Jesus tells THEM--"You will not go through all the cities of Israel before the Son of Man COMES." Clearly, Jesus said He was returning in their lifetime!

Preterist

Old 12-09-2007, 04:11 AM

In Matthew 26:64 Jesus said directly to Caiaphas, the high priest, and to the Sanhedrin--"Hereafter, YOU will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of power and COMING on the CLOUDS of heaven." Is this not similar language to that found in Matthew 24 to which Jesus gave a clear time restriction--"This generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place" (verse 34)?

Caiaphas and the Sanhedrin were to see His COMING because they were of that generation. Furthermore, they were also among those "eyes" of Revelation 1:7 who would see Him! The time frame for the entire Revelation is found in the first and last chapters--"the things which must SHORTLY take place" because the "time is AT HAND."

Matthew 10:23; 16:28; 24:30; 26:64 all speak of the same event and all are confined to pre-A.D. 70!

Preterist

Old 12-10-2007, 02:55 PM

What did Jesus mean in Matthew 26:64 when He said to Caiaphas and the Sanhedrin--"Hereafter, YOU will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of power and COMING on the CLOUDS of heaven?"

It seems clear that Jesus was telling those actual, flesh-and-blood Jewish leaders of His day that THEY would personally see His "coming on the clouds of heaven."

Preterist

Old 12-10-2007, 03:24 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
What did Jesus mean in Matthew 26:64 when He said to Caiaphas and the Sanhedrin--"Hereafter, YOU will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of power and COMING on the CLOUDS of heaven?"

It seems clear that Jesus was telling those actual, flesh-and-blood Jewish leaders of His day that THEY would personally see His "coming on the clouds of heaven."

Preterist
doesnt seem that clear to me..we have the word henceforth, or hereafter..and theres the YOU again that is so troubling.
Jesus says pretty much the next time you see me will be me (Jesus) coming in the clouds..because he knows he is fixing to die, now theres the you..which did not happen then (his coming in the clouds), because the "you" wasnt a specific you..

do preterist take the Lords Supper?

Old 12-10-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
doesnt seem that clear to me..we have the word henceforth, or hereafter..and theres the YOU again that is so troubling.
Jesus says pretty much the next time you see me will be me (Jesus) coming in the clouds..because he knows he is fixing to die, now theres the you..which did not happen then (his coming in the clouds), because the "you" wasnt a specific you..

do preterist take the Lords Supper?
The YOU is only troubling to those who will not take the words of Jesus here as they are spoken--in plain and simple language. It is a specific YOU, arguy. Are we to take Jesus' words in their plain sense? There is no ambiguity here. Jesus was speaking directly to those first-century leaders of the temple right there with Him. Why did the high priest tear his clothes? Because Jesus' coming in the clouds was a very familiar prophetic description of God coming in judgment. They recognized that Jesus was saying He was God! He spoke blasphemy! Only God sits at the right hand of power and only God comes on clouds of judgment!

Again, Jesus plainly said "YOU (Caiaphas and the Sanhedrin) will see the Son of Man . . . COMING on the CLOUDS of heaven." They "saw" His coming and mourned just as their forefathers had mourned when they "saw" God come in judgment against them. This was the final judgment against that wicked generation who killed the prophets and all those sent to them (Mat. 23). That OT and Old Covenant system of types and shadows was to be done away with and the New Covenant with all of the antitypes and realities was to brought in at the coming of Christ on the clouds of heaven. Judaism was to be no more. The tribes of the land were either killed or scattered, never to be a nation again. That which claims to be Israel today bears no resemblance to OT Israel. The tribes and the records are lost forever. The true Israel of God, those circumcised in their hearts, are God's eternal, covenant people gathered from all the nations of the earth!

Caiaphas and the Sanhedrin were of those tribes of the land who "saw" His coming (Rev. 1:7), along with those who pierced Him, in A.D. 70 when God used the Roman armies to destroy the city and the Temple!

As for the Lord's Supper--those pre-A.D. 70 saints were to observe the Lord's Supper as a remembrance of His death till He came. There is nothing here that suggests that they were to stop observing it after He came, although some preterists do take that view. For example, if a soldier in Iraq writes to his wife and says, "keep reading your Bible and have faith in Jesus till I come home," is he saying that after he comes home, she is to no longer read her Bible or have faith? Of course not! It is a good thing for all believers to remember His death for us--whether with the Lord's Supper or in simple prayer and thanksgiving. There are good arguments on both sides of this issue.

We must all ask ourselves--am I taking the simple words of Scripture in their plain sense or am I stumbling over them because they do not seem to fit my preconceived ideas (e.g. the nature of Christ's return)?

I do not think that you have trouble with the principle of direct address in your everyday life. When you hear someone speaking to a particular person with the word of direct address (YOU), you do not have difficulty understanding the situation. You do not think that he is speaking to anyone other than that one right there with him. Most language of Scripture should be taken as simply as that. There is a YOU of direct address and a YOU of general, cross-generational principles and truths. Again, in Matthew 26:64 Jesus was speaking directly to Caiaphas and the Sanhedrin about things that THEY themselves were going to see in their lifetimes. That is the simple understanding.

Preterist

Old 12-12-2007, 05:21 AM

What did James mean in James 5:8--"The COMING of the Lord is AT HAND?"

What did Peter mean in 1 Peter 4:7--"The end of ALL things is AT HAND?"

Preterist

Old 12-14-2007, 11:23 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Does God live in human time?
I mean if you are eternal, I'd imagine that time gets a whole complete different meaning.
What is a few 100 years compared to infinity?

Old 12-14-2007, 12:57 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Does God live in human time?
I mean if you are eternal, I'd imagine that time gets a whole complete different meaning.
What is a few 100 years compared to infinity?
No God does not live in human time. 2 Peter 3:8 "But you must not forget dear friends that a day is like a thousand years to the Lord, and a thousand years like a day".

Old 12-14-2007, 01:01 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
In that case 6 days might mean 6000 years, so it might have taken God 6000 years to create the earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity