Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 06:49 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans12 View Post
I have a question about these passages in 1 Pet. 3:18-20: For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, in order that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;19 in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison, 20 who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water."

What is meant by that they were once disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water?

Thanks
When a person dies, he or she does not immediately go to either Heaven or Hell, but to a place where the spirits of the dead await the resurrection. These verses refer to the place where the wicked await the resurrection as "prison." Until Jesus visited "the spirits in prison" during the time His body lay in the tomb, there was a gulf between the righteous (who are in paradise awaiting their resurrection) and the unrighteous (who are instead in prison). The human spirit never dies, but continues to exist after it leaves the mortal body at death. Jesus went to preach to the spirits in prison who had never had the opportunity to hear his gospel during their lives, and to give them the opportunity to do so while awaiting the resurrection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 06:28 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,963,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
When a person dies, he or she does not immediately go to either Heaven or Hell, but to a place where the spirits of the dead await the resurrection. These verses refer to the place where the wicked await the resurrection as "prison." Until Jesus visited "the spirits in prison" during the time His body lay in the tomb, there was a gulf between the righteous (who are in paradise awaiting their resurrection) and the unrighteous (who are instead in prison). The human spirit never dies, but continues to exist after it leaves the mortal body at death. Jesus went to preach to the spirits in prison who had never had the opportunity to hear his gospel during their lives, and to give them the opportunity to do so while awaiting the resurrection.
Never in all the Bible are humans called "spirits."

Old 02-11-2014, 07:17 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,389,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The Bible tells us a persons spirit returns to God at death. That spirit is NOT the person but the spirit of life in all living things from God. The word Spirit applied to God, His Son and the angels is like the word "human".

Old 02-11-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Never in all the Bible are humans called "spirits."
I really don't know what you're trying to say. The spirits God created for each of us reside in our bodies throughout our mortal lives. Surely you don't disagree with that. What do you believe happens to the human spirit when it leaves the body at death? Do you believe it dies, exists in a state of sleep or continues to live? (I know that Christians seem to disagree with one another with respect to this point.)

I believe that Jesus did, in fact, "preach unto the spirits in prison" and that these were the spirits of human beings who had died and who were awaiting the resurrection.

Last edited by Katzpur; 02-11-2014 at 09:55 PM..

Old 02-11-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
That spirit is NOT the person but the spirit of life in all living things from God. The word Spirit applied to God, His Son and the angels is like the word "human".
Sorry, you lost me. Do you or do you not believe each of us is comprised of a physical body and a spirit? When I am referring to God's Spirit, or to the Holy Ghost, I capitalize the word. When I am referring to the human spirit, I don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity