Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 03:01 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
If one only looks for anecdotal (or as you call it, 'logical') reasons to disregard or reject the Bible as God's Word of Truth as 'mythology,' it is likely they will be unable or unwilling to see anything else. So, in this context, one has chosen to make their own logic, opinion and philosophy ....their 'god'. None of the petulant 'strawman' choices' you have contrived are 'right' or provide a justifiable reason for rejecting God’s Word of Truth … as mythology.

God, our creator, is faithful, loving and true. He has provided us with everything necessary to find the true peace, joy, love and contentment … that He created us to enjoy.

God neither manipulates us like puppets or prevents us from making choices and living lifestyles that leave us in situations that we may find less than desirable. Just because we pray for something, does not mean that God's answer must then match our expectations. Likewise, just because one does not see what they perceive as the "only logical answer God could provide," does not mean that God has not answered.

I do not know why some people find their 'soul mates' and get married ... while others who desire the same, do not. But, people live-out a myriad of lives in circumstances as varied as the ocean sands. I do know that complaining to God "Why did you make me so?" doesn't change one's life or circumstances. If what one is doing is not producing the life they want, then they should do something else (otherwise, they are simply doing the same old thing over and over, ... while hoping for different results.)
jghorton, that is a most excellent reply! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 07:05 AM

1,146 posts, read 648,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The biggest problem is that social mores have changed over the last 2000 years. Back then a lovelorn guy could just rape a woman he wanted and the law compelled her to marry him. try doing that today.

Reread in my post what the guys says about "just go out a find a woman":

Now honestly, heavenese, does this sound like a guy who can just "get out there and meet someone"? And there are millions of good Christian men who are trapped in this "new morality" where the women call all the shots in starting a relationship. If they don't feel that "magic spark" when an average nice guy walks up to them they just politely tell them to get lost because they've been bred to wait for that Brad Pitt lurking around the corner they're desperately praying will discover them. Honest, this is the state of affairs in Christian dating today.
The assertion that social mores have changed over the last two millennia is incorrect. Read the Bible. Consult Muslim culture, which is still stuck in the Middle Ages. Forceable rape of a woman was punishable by death to the rapist. Many human cultures allow a man to have more than one wife, but NONE allow a man to have any woman he wants. There are restrictions and taboos. There always have been, until the atheist philosophy assumed predominance in the late nineteenth century. Frederick Nietzsche once wrote that his philosophy would lead to violence and moral decay in the twentieth century on a level unheard of in human history. And so it did. And so it has.

As for the new Christian morality regarding intra-personal relationships, it's just a religious coating on secular behavior. Dedication to Christ must come first, then intellectual matching, physical attraction and finally after marriage, copulation.

If you think Christian dating is difficult, wait until you get married. The sexist, conceited, arrogant attitude of American women is such that a man can be crushed under the weight of it if he is not grounded and rooted in Jesus Christ. And I mean DEEPLY grounded and rooted. The man must stand his ground in all things at all times. The love of God MUST come first, else the marriage will dissolve away like snow in July. If Christ is an integral part of the marriage it may survive the rocky times.

I cannot argue with the Brad Pitt reference at all. On the other hand, men can be guilty of selfishness too. A fellow I work with can quote Jennifer Anniston's birthday but can't remember when his own mother was born. True story.

The onus is upon us all to rededicate ourselves to the discipleship of Jesus Christ. God first. Everything else second and the devil take the hindmost.

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

Old 02-12-2014, 08:54 AM

2,417 posts, read 1,448,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The biggest problem is that social mores have changed over the last 2000 years. Back then a lovelorn guy could just rape a woman he wanted and the law compelled her to marry him. try doing that today.

Reread in my post what the guys says about "just go out a find a woman":

Now honestly, heavenese, does this sound like a guy who can just "get out there and meet someone"? And there are millions of good Christian men who are trapped in this "new morality" where the women call all the shots in starting a relationship. If they don't feel that "magic spark" when an average nice guy walks up to them they just politely tell them to get lost because they've been bred to wait for that Brad Pitt lurking around the corner they're desperately praying will discover them. Honest, this is the state of affairs in Christian dating today.

Even though it's hard for us to understand, that law was there to prevent rape, not encourage it. The punishment for this man, was to care for the woman and her family for the rest of his life. Marriage back then was a way for the woman to be supported financially. So this was about the rapist supporting and caring for the woman, not forcing a woman to be subjugated to the wiles of her rapist. In this particular marriage, the woman would have more power than the man, if I could say it like that.

As for the man in question, he has the wrong thinking about a lot of things. Unless he has any mental issues, and don't take that comment wrong, he needs to take a step back and breathe a little. He's too dialed in on finding someone, perhaps even for the wrong reasons. I don't know him personally, so I can't comment on his situation. However, he sounds depressed. Take a step back, and think. No girl is interested in him? How many girls are out there in the world? All of them have no interest in him? He's too dialed in and desperate. Also, the foundation seems to be his christianity right? If that is the case, he definitely has the wrong thinking here. First and foremost, the best relationship is the one we have with our Father. There's so much to find out about there, so much to discover, and we have the promise of Him never leaving us. This person needs to think about the down side of romantic relationships and marriage, that it is not as great as he thinks it is. Stuff like that, to center his focus.

Of course I speaking on a little experience myself. I went through a time where I was somewhat depressed over not having a girlfriend/wife. In that time period, I even came across a word called "limerence" and I thought that described me best. (You can look that term up on wiki) Then I came to my senses after reading others situations that was similar to myself. I realized I didn't want to be like that, to be so depressed. It was around that time as well that I realized I had the best relationship of all in Christ. As much as we desire others, I wonder about how much God desires us. Through all that, I found a renewed purpose in my life, even to fulfill a childhood dream of mine of becoming a scientist. So my advice without knowing this guy's personal situation, is to take a step back, and realize what he's saying. Look at others who are going through the same situations as him, and see how depressed they are. We aren't meant to live like that, and considering our faith, how is it possible we are depressed and have a sense of longing? It's simply because we have the wrong thinking about who we are. We need to repent. No, not another "I'm sorry" statement. We need to change our mind and thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity