Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 02:35 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,643,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You are a perfect fit for the Catholic Church. I say so because you are not a Sola Scriptura bible literalist. and that qualifies you immensely for the RCC.

Catholics are not pagan and they do not worship statues. You have been deceived by your ministers.

Watch this video:

Why Do Catholics Pray to Saints? - YouTube

Go to mass and at the end look for the priest. Tell him you are interested and he will make arrangements for you to take the RCIA. There is no pressure of any kind and you will finally return HOME to the mother church.

"there is no pressure of any kind and you will finally return HOME to the mother church".

The individual wants to visit a Methodist and a Catholic church and you have him singing up for lessons that will lead to Catholic conversion? Isn't that a bit presumptuous on your part?

No pressure? That sounds like a HUGE amount of pressure on your part! And I am offended by the condescending way that you seem to regard Protestant churches.

I am not anti-Catholic in the least, but I disagree seriously with praying to Mary or to any other saint. Yet I do believe Catholics are Christians.

How can the OP come "home" to the Catholic church? He's never been a Catholic
You proselytize more than some fundies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 03:27 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,113,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
I take exception to that! You haven't seen me in action yet...

But for the record, I also believe that there are many true Christians in the Catholic Church. How can there not be? Jesus told us what we must do to be saved, and I am confident that countless numbers of Catholics have done so. His promises are trustworthy and true.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:37 AM

Getting back to the original question, I enjoy fellowshipping with Methodists and think you would feel comfortable visiting there. Each fellowship is unique of course, and in the end it is the individual people and personalities that make the character of a fellowship. May God guide you to the fellowship that is right for you.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:45 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,274,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
"there is no pressure of any kind and you will finally return HOME to the mother church".

The individual wants to visit a Methodist and a Catholic church and you have him singing up for lessons that will lead to Catholic conversion? Isn't that a bit presumptuous on your part?

No pressure? That sounds like a HUGE amount of pressure on your part! And I am offended by the condescending way that you seem to regard Protestant churches.

I am not anti-Catholic in the least, but I disagree seriously with praying to Mary or to any other saint. Yet I do believe Catholics are Christians.

I apologize if you feel I pressured the OP.

My issue was that OP said he is not a bible literalist. That pretty much leaves him with the RCC or the Episcopal Church (light Catholic) as options.

If he has no devotion to Mary that narrows it down to the Episcopal CHurch, however, they also honor Mary.

Please watch the video before you post.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:52 AM

441 posts, read 390,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Getting back to the original question, I enjoy fellowshipping with Methodists and think you would feel comfortable visiting there. Each fellowship is unique of course, and in the end it is the individual people and personalities that make the character of a fellowship. May God guide you to the fellowship that is right for you.
Feeling comfortable?? Is that what Jesus is all about??

Old 02-19-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croref View Post
Feeling comfortable?? Is that what Jesus is all about??
No,but it's helpful if you enjoy fellowshipping with the people in your church. There is a human element to worship because we are still human.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:01 AM

441 posts, read 390,016 times
Quote:
No,but it's helpful if you enjoy fellowshipping with the people in your church. There is a human element to worship because we are still human.
That, my (human) brother, is just an excuse for unbelief.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:06 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,655,405 times
Quote:
Amen !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croref View Post
That, my (human) brother, is just an excuse for unbelief.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:43 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,338,735 times
Quote:
I don't mean to condemn the Methodist Church. Every established denomination has some point of teaching that can be seen as at variance with the Holy scripture. I like Baptist teachings, but they are wrong to teach that drinking wine is a sin. The Catholic Church has so many teachings at variance with the Bible that the post would be too long to list them. I like the Church of Christ teachings, but there is no where in the Bible a prohibition on musical instruments; the Psalms were written for instrumental accompanyment. And so on.
If I point out an error it doesn't mean I don't love and respect you. Baptists will not go to hell for false teaching on wine, and COC Christians will not go to hell for singing acapello. Methodists won't go to hell for listening to a woman preacher either, but it's still wrong.
You are so funny

And thank goodness for all our sakes, God has a great sense of humor

Old 02-19-2014, 11:42 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,515,874 times
Quote:
I like Baptist teachings, but they are wrong to teach that drinking wine is a sin.
Don't lump all Baptists into one basket........I'm a Baptist and I don't preach or teach drinking alcohol is a sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity