U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-02-2007, 10:51 AM
 
Location: huh?
3,099 posts, read 1,913,812 times
Reputation: 498

Advertisements

my husband's family is extremely into the christian church life. my husband is not, neither am i nor are our children. my niece (on my husband's side) recently sent me a letter saying that i needed to find the lord etc etc and it really hurt me because i realized that the family wasn't accepting me for who i was as a person. anyways, all it did was make me feel like i wasnt good enough (in their eyes) to be a member of their family and that i would never be fully accepted unless i became just like them. i can never forget this and it has put a strain on the relationship i have with them so i wanted to warn anybody who believes in witnessing that it isnt such a great idea afterall. thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-02-2007, 11:09 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,518,646 times
Reputation: 1573
This is also why I broke with my family.
Not just for religions reasons, they just didn't accept me for who I am and thought of me as the black sheep of the family because I just speak my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2007, 11:11 AM
 
8,581 posts, read 8,925,635 times
Reputation: 2382
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
my husband's family is extremely into the christian church life. my husband is not, neither am i nor are our children. my niece (on my husband's side) recently sent me a letter saying that i needed to find the lord etc etc and it really hurt me because i realized that the family wasn't accepting me for who i was as a person. anyways, all it did was make me feel like i wasnt good enough (in their eyes) to be a member of their family and that i would never be fully accepted unless i became just like them. i can never forget this and it has put a strain on the relationship i have with them so i wanted to warn anybody who believes in witnessing that it isnt such a great idea afterall. thanks for listening.
Not knowing any of the people involved, its hard to comment, but I would just say that if you can, try to step outside the situation and look at it from a neutral view point, the reason Christians are called to witness is so that others can be saved, it is done out of love and concern and wanting you to have eternal life. Many times people take a defensive posture towards those witnessing to them and that is completely understandable (ephesians 6:12), however speaking for myself I understand that you can lead a horse to water but you cant force them to drink! Although we all may not have the gift of witnessing down to an art form, it is what we consider the ultimate gift that is yours for the asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2007, 11:14 AM
 
Location: huh?
3,099 posts, read 1,913,812 times
Reputation: 498
hah, we dont need them (OUR FAMILY) ANYWAY!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2007, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Indiana
1,250 posts, read 3,130,921 times
Reputation: 766
As a Christian, I believe you and agree with you for the most part. I'm not going to accost someone with the gospel who has no desire to hear it. I will try to live my life in a way that glorifies the Lord. I will let the Holy Spirit do the talking. If they ask me a question, I will respond. But I will let them initiate the conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2007, 11:18 AM
 
Location: huh?
3,099 posts, read 1,913,812 times
Reputation: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Not knowing any of the people involved, its hard to comment, but I would just say that if you can, try to step outside the situation and look at it from a neutral view point, the reason Christians are called to witness is so that others can be saved, it is done out of love and concern and wanting you to have eternal life. Many times people take a defensive posture towards those witnessing to them and that is completely understandable (ephesians 6:12), however speaking for myself I understand that you can lead a horse to water but you cant force them to drink! Although we all may not have the gift of witnessing down to an art form, it is what we consider the ultimate gift that is yours for the asking.
OH YES, i do realize that they were doing it (witnessing) out of concern for me but i thought it good to warn others who may be witnessing or contemplating witnessing that even if you do it out of concern it still can HURT more than help. i would hope that some would take this into consideration if they dont want to hurt people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2007, 11:19 AM
 
Location: huh?
3,099 posts, read 1,913,812 times
Reputation: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
As a Christian, I believe you and agree with you for the most part. I'm not going to accost someone with the gospel who has no desire to hear it. I will try to live my life in a way that glorifies the Lord. I will let the Holy Spirit do the talking. If they ask me a question, I will respond. But I will let them initiate the conversation.
i like your methods soooooo much more than my husband's family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2007, 11:52 AM
 
Location: On a road heaven bound !
10,290 posts, read 8,040,760 times
Reputation: 17783
Wonderful to hear such good encouragement on both sides. There is nothing worse imo is to endure rejection from our family. It is so painful!!! and crippling to someone's heart.
We do have to walk softly because we don't know where someone is coming from in the heart of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2007, 12:01 PM
 
Location: huh?
3,099 posts, read 1,913,812 times
Reputation: 498
well i was thinking that maybe the family sent that letter (thru my niece) because they thought they had a good chance to change me into one of them (since im already soooo good of a human) BUTTTT when i asked my husband why he thought they sent the letter he said "because they think youre a heathen maybe?"
weird thing is that it was addressed to only me and not addressed to my husband and me. i was thinking that they didnt address it to him cuz they KNEW he was hopeless!
anyway, i will NEVER get over this and wont be able to look at them in the same light from now on.

Last edited by nicolepsy; 12-02-2007 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2007, 12:06 PM
 
Location: NoVa
18,434 posts, read 28,526,733 times
Reputation: 19578
I will not comment on YOUR experience, but on my own. (with witnessing) I grew up in a household where there was no God. I knew no God. As I grew older, late teens, early twenties, and ventured out into society, I was witnessed to by several people.

People I don't know, people who i could not tell you who they even are.

Seeds were being planted in my life. I was aggrivated. Why are these people bothering me with this stuff, why can't they just leave me alone!

As the years went by, I realized something in my life was missing, but i had no idea what it was. Still, people witnessing to me. Me, not so aggrivated by then, anymore, as I was growing into adulthood.

They were not overbearing. They were not my family. They were people I did not know. People at workplaces, people in stores. They were people sharing the word with me.

Do you know Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior? They would ask me, I would think, oh no, here we go again, but the things they said to me, they made me think.

One day that seed blossomed and I made a choice to go to church, invited by one of the planters of the seed. Yes, I found out what in my life was missing. I had been lost for so long, and I had found the Lord.

Were it not for those planters of the seed, I would not have overcome my life as it has been. I thank the Lord for sending me those planters everyday.

Possibly your family members are not going about things in the correct way for you, possibly you are not ready, possibly, I have no idea about what is going on with you, but I have shared what went on with me with the witnessing and the planting of the seed.

For many years, I was kept from the Lord, and when I allowed Him back into my life, a whole new light shone over me. The light of the Lord, and it made me alive, it made me live, it made me go forward in a positive direction.

I pray for peace and serenity in your life, so that maybe the same thing can happen with you, in your way, in your time, Nicolepsy

Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top