U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 08:59 PM

16,314 posts, read 20,652,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
This is interesting. I've never heard that Mary didn't have any other children before. I've been taught she did have children after Jesus (James comes to mind).
Then why was Jesus giving her care over to John? If other sons were around (as many Protestant sects teach), then Jesus was committing a pretty big cultural no-no by giving Mary's care over to John.

Quote:
And how do we know Joseph is dead by the time of Jesus' death? That's a new one on me as well. I know he isn't talked about much after Jesus' birth, but does that imply he died? Just wondering.
By implication, since he is never mentioned after Jesus' childhood in the Temple. Also, it was customary durying that time that men were often quite a bit older than their wives. It wasn't uncommon for a 40 year old man to take a 15 year old wife. So it's entirely feasible that Joseph had died of old age by the time Jesus began His ministry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 08:59 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,328,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Yes He had brothers and sisters
Matthew 14:55-56 "He's just a carpenters son and we know Mary, His mother, and his brothers James, Joesph, Simon and Judas". All His sisters live right her among us. What makes Him so great".
Thank you! I knew I wasn't making it up!

It was always explained to me that Jesus' siblings were ashamed of him (because being crucified was the ultimate humiliation) and/or afraid of being imprisoned because of their relationship to him was why they stayed away from Calvary. John was there and that's why Jesus told him to care for Mary.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:03 PM

21,609 posts, read 30,173,299 times
Quote:

It was always explained to me that Jesus' siblings were ashamed of him (because being crucified was the ultimate humiliation) and/or afraid of being imprisoned because of their relationship to him was why they stayed away from Calvary. John was there and that's why Jesus told him to care for Mary.
Yes, Jesus entrusted His mother to a person who stayed with Him at the cross and that was John. Joseph was probably dead by then.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:21 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,489,777 times
Quote:
Yes, Jesus entrusted His mother to a person who stayed with Him at the cross and that was John. Joseph was probably dead by then.
Didn't Joseph (father) die before Jesus started his ministry?
I'm just thinking about the portrayal in the "Passion of The Christ"
My $.02

Old 12-04-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
Didn't Joseph (father) die before Jesus started his ministry?
I'm just thinking about the portrayal in the "Passion of The Christ"
My $.02
Yes he probably did.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:38 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,489,777 times
In context of John 2:
Blue Letter Bibles states that this reason Jesus called His mother Mary "woman"
was that He had to check her for interposing in a matter which was the act of His Godhead
which had no dependence on her and which she was not the mother of.
Also a sign to others that kindred did not come first when it came to things of God as performing miracles and to set an example to others that were watching not to become to familiar (flesh) in the things of God we must not know faces.
He was basically rebuking her

Old 12-05-2007, 08:03 AM

Quote:
You weren't making it up. You were just being misinformed.

Have a look at this: "Brethren of the Lord"

Quote:
It was always explained to me that Jesus' siblings were ashamed of him (because being crucified was the ultimate humiliation) and/or afraid of being imprisoned because of their relationship to him was why they stayed away from Calvary.
Wow. And the Protestants accuse Catholics of making things up. Show me chapter and verse for any of that.

Quote:
John was there and that's why Jesus told him to care for Mary.
Lots of people "were there." In the culture of the time, that was hardly reason to do this. If Mary had other children, they were obligated to care for her. Not doing so would have made them pariahs of the community. Jesus gave Mary into John's care for the simple reason that Jesus was her only son.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
You weren't making it up. You were just being misinformed.

Have a look at this: "Brethren of the Lord"

Wow. And the Protestants accuse Catholics of making things up. Show me chapter and verse for any of that.

Lots of people "were there." In the culture of the time, that was hardly reason to do this. If Mary had other children, they were obligated to care for her. Not doing so would have made them pariahs of the community. Jesus gave Mary into John's care for the simple reason that Jesus was her only son.
I think mams is informed correctly.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I think mams is informed correctly.
So you're the source of misinformation!

Seriously though: Just saying, "Huh-uh!" isn't furthering anyone's knowledge. Read through that link I posted and tell me how it's wrong.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
So you're the source of misinformation!

Seriously though: Just saying, "Huh-uh!" isn't furthering anyone's knowledge. Read through that link I posted and tell me how it's wrong.
No I'm not his source of information, I think he got his information from the same place I got mine, the Bible and through his church. I read your link and I read my Bible and believe Mary had children with Joseph, but isn't worth making a big deal over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or