Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 12:04 AM

758 posts, read 839,152 times

Advertisements

Jesus said: you are Peter (πέτρος, petros) and upon this rock (πέτρα, petra) I will build My church..."

petros = greek - small moveable stone.

petra = greek - Large Unmoveable Rock.

If you take the time to look up every verse in the bible where the word Rock is used to signify a person.

You will find that in all Forty instances - That ROCK - is God!

How could a church be built on a failure?? More often than not every-time Peter opened his mouth - He put his foot into it. He is without any doubt the biggest failure in the entire New Testament.

Peter was; Ready - Fire - Aim. I love Peter's enthusiasm; but the Stone which the builders rejected became the chief corner stone. That is Jesus Christ.

Peter was fail-able - He denied Christ 3 times. He failed. NO two ways about it.

Church doctrine should be carefully weighed with the Word of God - It must agree with God's words Not mans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 03:48 AM

441 posts, read 390,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkutuq View Post
Church doctrine should be carefully weighed with the Word of God - It must agree with God's words Not mans.
Very Good! How do you feel about the gifts of the Spirit __have they ceased?

Old 02-23-2014, 05:03 AM

9,670 posts, read 9,944,943 times
The stone the builders rejected is man built religion who is the builders , the stone which they rejected of Christ , so the religion that the builder rejected is of antichrist ........... ``On this rock will I build my church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it , and I will give unto you the keys of the kingdom and what so ever you will blind on earth will be bound in heaven and Whatsoever you will loose on earth will be loosed in heaven ``...... See this is the Temple of the Holy Spirit through the baptism of Holy Spirit , from the people born again in the spirit of God receive the baptism of Holy Spirit will have authority to remove the curses of the devil , so what ever you loose which is the spiritual wickedness of the high places and bind him up and cast him down in Jesus name BRAKES the curses of this beast of the earth which is fallen angels ...............See from the Temple of Solomon there were two brass pillars around 25 feet high in the front of the temple which were called Jachin and Boaz which means ``the strength of the Lord `` from 1 Kings 7: 15-22 , which is a shadow of Jesus to come of Jesus temple of Holy Spirit , as these pillars or obelisks represent deliverance by the strength of God .......

Old 02-23-2014, 06:39 AM

758 posts, read 839,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croref View Post
Very Good! How do you feel about the gifts of the Spirit __have they ceased?
of course not!

Old 02-23-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
of course not!
Perhaps I should have asked if you thought the Pentecostal gifts had ceased after the Apostles died off? In other words, are you a cessationalist?

Old 02-23-2014, 07:37 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,068,666 times
I'm no theologian by any means, just a simple person who believes in God's Word. My personal thought on whether or not the gifts of the Spirit have/have no ceased, is this: I feel that those gifts are given in accordance with the time period we are in, and the need for certain ones at any given time-

1 Corinthians 12 7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.[b] 11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:46 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,287,479 times
Quote:
Jesus said: you are Peter (πέτρος, petros) and upon this rock (πέτρα, petra) I will build My church..."

petros = greek - small moveable stone.

petra = greek - Large Unmoveable Rock.

If you take the time to look up every verse in the bible where the word Rock is used to signify a person.

You will find that in all Forty instances - That ROCK - is God!

How could a church be built on a failure?? More often than not every-time Peter opened his mouth - He put his foot into it. He is without any doubt the biggest failure in the entire New Testament.

Peter was; Ready - Fire - Aim. I love Peter's enthusiasm; but the Stone which the builders rejected became the chief corner stone. That is Jesus Christ.

Peter was fail-able - He denied Christ 3 times. He failed. NO two ways about it.

You can talk about "Big and small rocks" till the cows come home and your point will always be moot.

You point is moot because of Matthew 16:19. In the following verse Jesus says:

Quote:
Matthew 16:19
King James Version (KJV)
19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Matthew 16: 19 removes any doubts regarding the meaning of Matthew 16:18.

But, don't worry. Even though Peter was the first leader of the church the title Pope did not exist at that time. The title of Pope was given in retrospect because he was THE FIRST.

Matthew 16:19 is also important because it gives authority to the Catholic Church.

Last edited by Julian658; 02-23-2014 at 09:03 AM..

Old 02-23-2014, 08:06 AM

You must mean the Church of Jesus Christ universal?

Old 02-23-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
I'm no theologian by any means, just a simple person who believes in God's Word. My personal thought on whether or not the gifts of the Spirit have/have no ceased, is this: I feel that those gifts are given in accordance with the time period we are in, and the need for certain ones at any given time-

1 Corinthians 12 7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.[b] 11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.
Hi mostie! Why not any time period and not just this one?

Old 02-23-2014, 09:02 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,518,205 times
Quote:

The renowned NT Bible scholar Jerome Murphy-O'connor, author of 19 acclaimed books, 153 articles, and 68 Encyclopedias-Dictionaries would strongly disagree with your assessment of the Apostle Peter. For those interested his CV is CV Murphy O'Connor | É.B.A.F.

Simon Peter and his brother Andrew came from a prosperous middle class family. Both spoke Aramaic and Greek. They were brought up to plan, administer, and operate a large fish processing operation. Being astute businessmen they moved their entire operation from Bethsaida to Capernaum to avoid hefty taxes. They were shrewd businessmen in a highly competitive industry often partnering with James' and John's fishing operation. These were men of substance that could afford to be away from work, first with John the Baptist, then with Jesus. In fact, when Simon Peter's Capernaum house was excavated in the fourth century it's size was considerably larger than most houses of the time. (picture below) Simon and Andrew were anything but uneducated, common men.

From the time chosen by Jesus, Simon Peter was often the spokesman. He possessed a quick tongue, which often had him in hot water with Jesus. This aside, he was instrumental in relocating the early Jesus movement headquarters from Capernaum to Jerusalem. The movement included the remaining Apostles, Mary, Joseph Barsabbas, and Matthias. The leader was Simon Peter. He led in the selection of Matthias as the new Apostle, and in the continuation of the teaching and healing begun by Jesus.

Cephas, Simon Peter was no failure.

The Octagon Church with Simon Peter's house in the foreground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity