Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 07:45 AM

859 posts, read 2,141,609 times

Advertisements

into a *HOLIDAY * Parade.
I am so mad, upset.

They want to have CHRISTmas but not with CHRIST? I dont understand this.

Christmas wouldnt be here unless it was for Christ. So how can you do one but not the other. ?!
Sorry, but if you dont believe in christ how can you have Christmas?
if you dont believe in Christ, why do they celebrate THIS *HIS* day to begin with?

aaaaargggghhh I am so upset. !
We are NOT going to this Parade/Festival

Sorry didnt know where to put this,,,,, I need somone who agrees with me !!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 08:21 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,721,294 times
I agree with you..Id be irked too, if they changed our Christmas parade to a Holiday parade.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:25 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,215,853 times
Yep, make it another one who agrees with you. I would also boycott the parade.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:28 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,186,219 times
Why?
Would you exclude those children who do not believe in the Easter Bunny to participate in an Easter egg hunt or other festival activity?
I mean aren't you in fact insisting that only Christians can join the parade, since non-believers probably don't believe in Jesus?
I don't see the need to exclude people to what should be a joyous festivity.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:36 AM

Default Celebrate it, but don't try to change it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Why?
Would you exclude those children who do not believe in the Easter Bunny to participate in an Easter egg hunt or other festival activity?
Because the whole thing is indicative of trying to "secularize" Christmas. I have no problem if other faiths or non-believers want to celebrate Christmas in a secular way with Christians. But contrary to all the talk about how Christmas derived from pagan origins etc, in our society for centuries it has been a celebration to commemorate the birth of Jesus Christ into our world. Changing names to make it more palatable, so to speak, to other faiths strips Christ out of Christmas IMO and that of many other Christians.

The same goes for Easter. Easter is a celebration (despite any pagan roots) of the resurrection of Jesus. If children want to celebrate that regardless of their beliefs, let them have at it, but don't try to change what it is.

Without Christ in either one, there really is no celebration, ya know?

kaykay climbs off her soapbox once again.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Why?
I mean aren't you in fact insisting that only Christians can join the parade, since non-believers probably don't believe in Jesus?
I don't see the need to exclude people to what should be a joyous festivity.
its not about excluding anybody at all...except the person that the whole parade is about...Jesus

Im not asking people to not to come if they dont believe, or anything like that..just leave the name alone.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:42 AM

Does it matter what you call it?
To me a Muslim, a Jew, and a Christian worship the same God. Although all 3 will probably insist that this cannot be true.
I mean isn't Christmas the time to spend with family and give thanks? (yeah, we don't have Thanksgiving in Holland but Xmas is used for this also)

Old 11-29-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
its not about excluding anybody at all...except the person that the whole parade is about...Jesus.
Oh, this is a good, arguy! That's EXACTLY it!

Old 11-29-2007, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by kaykay
Quote:
Oh, this is a good, arguy! That's EXACTLY it!
Then who cares how you call it? As long as people come and be merry.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Does it matter what you call it?
To me a Muslim, a Jew, and a Christian worship the same God. Although all 3 will probably insist that this cannot be true.
I mean isn't Christmas the time to spend with family and give thanks? (yeah, we don't have Thanksgiving in Holland but Xmas is used for this also)
my friend..Christmas is about the birth of our savior, Jesus. And while some "lump" religions together, we (I) dont, cant and wont. Yes it is a gr8 time to spend with family, but whats the REAL meaning behind it? its about our dear Saviors birth..and I dont want to let that part slide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity