Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 11:40 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,527,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croref View Post
I don't believe Jesus came to do more than the will of God and show us how to have life more abundantly.
At least that is what He said. He didn't come to go to the cross __unless it was the Father's will.
From John 12:27, but for this cause came I unto this hour: this hour or time of sorrow and suffering was appointed for him; it was fixed in the covenant of grace, and Christ had agreed to it; he was sent into this world, and he came into it, on account of this hour; and was preserved hitherto for this purpose; and was now come to Jerusalem, and was there at this instant, for that very reason, namely, to suffer and die.-John Gill

Jesus Christ came to Judge the world.
John 9:39, "And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind."

Jesus Christ came to fulfil the law.
Matthew 5:17, "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil."

Jesus Christ came to be a King and bear witness to the truth.
John 18:37, "Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice."

And more...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 12:02 PM

441 posts, read 392,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorALly View Post
From John 12:27, but for this cause came I unto this hour: this hour or time of sorrow and suffering was appointed for him; it was fixed in the covenant of grace, and Christ had agreed to it; he was sent into this world, and he came into it, on account of this hour; and was preserved hitherto for this purpose; and was now come to Jerusalem, and was there at this instant, for that very reason, namely, to suffer and die.-John Gill

Jesus Christ came to Judge the world.
John 9:39, "And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind."

Jesus Christ came to fulfil the law.
Matthew 5:17, "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil."

Jesus Christ came to be a King and bear witness to the truth.
John 18:37, "Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice."

And more...

I hope you didn't present that to disprove what I wrote __because it doesn't. Read it more carefully and then compare with what I posted..

OMT: What did Jesus pray in Gethsemane as great drops of blood __"if there be any other way". What was that all about?

Old 02-27-2014, 12:10 PM

758 posts, read 847,181 times
Quote:
I hope you didn't present that to disprove what I wrote __because it doesn't. Read it more carefully and then compare with what I posted..

OMT: What did Jesus pray in Gethsemane as great drops of blood __"if there be any other way". What was that all about?
The cross was preordained before the foundation of the world.

Jesus is praying to the Father; If there is any other way (salvation) please let this cup pass from me.

There was no other way - The Cross was the ONLY WAY!!

The crucifixion was not a tragedy - It was a magnificent achievement displaying the Love of God towards all of humanity.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkutuq View Post
The cross was preordained before the foundation of the world.
You mean the cross "principle" was ordained, not the cross.. Which means Adam was purposed to give up his rights to himself that God would be all and in all..

Quote:
Jesus is praying to the Father; If there is any other way (salvation) please let this cup pass from me.

There was no other way - The Cross was the ONLY WAY!!
Yes? And? But that was only for redemption for you and I that we might do the same thing He did upon receiving His Life __ i.e., die to self.. The life [not His death] showed us how to do it and His commandments given us to accomplish it.

Quote:
The crucifixion was not a tragedy - It was a magnificent achievement displaying the Love of God towards all of humanity.
Yes? and? No one is minimizing that..

Old 02-27-2014, 12:34 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
I don't believe Jesus came to do more than the will of God and show us how to have life more abundantly.
At least that is what He said. He didn't come to go to the cross __unless it was the Father's will.
The cross was the Father's will.

1 John 4

10 In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

See also John chapters 10 and 15 and Luke 22 and Isaiah 53.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The cross was the Father's will. .

That's right and that is what I wrote.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
The cross was the Father's will.

1 John 4

10 In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

See also John chapters 10 and 15 and Luke 22 and Isaiah 53.
Quote:
That's right and that is what I wrote.
You said:

Quote:
He didn't come to go to the cross
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
You said:

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you.
Jesus said: ". . . I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me." John 6:38 (KJV)

So, whatever His will was He would perform it because of His love and allegiance to Him. Gethsemane was the revealing of the cross to Him, though Jesus, no doubt, knew it was coming and had to come for redemption to happen and the new birth to be made a possibility [the new birth being of more value than salvation]

Old 02-27-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Jesus said: ". . . I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me." John 6:38 (KJV)

So, whatever His will was He would perform it because of His love and allegiance to Him. Gethsemane was the revealing of the cross to Him, though Jesus, no doubt, knew it was coming and had to come for redemption to happen and the new birth to be made a possibility [the new birth being of more value than salvation]
I have no idea what you're saying!

Old 02-27-2014, 02:53 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Is that from Paul an unqualified declaration? I believe it needs be qualified. What say you?

Here it is given in Isaiah: "Thou meetest him that rejoiceth and worketh righteousness, those that remember thee in thy ways: behold, thou art wroth; for we have sinned: in those is continuance, and we shall be saved. But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away." Isaiah 64:5-6 (KJV)
Context is always necessary, first of the chapter and verse then the widrr context of the Bible. Paul knew some could be considered righteous as he spoke of the resurrection hope of the righteous and the unrighteous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity