Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 08:55 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,017,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
A good example would be for example.. disciplining children when they've done wrong.. A man might think that it is right to spank the child in efforts to correct behavior.. The wife might think it's not..

Well the Bible says if you spare the rod you will spoil the child.. According to the Word, spanking to correct behavior is an appropriate way to discipline a child for wrongdoing..

So the child does something bad.. the Father says the child should be spanked.. the Mother says the child should have a time out..

Does the man have the authority to spank the child? or a better stated.. Does the man have the responsibility to spank the Child?
Only if you are a biblical literalist would you insist that physical spanking is necessary for child rearing. I'm against it because there is too much child abuse as it is and I think parents who spank children are certainly tempted to abuse their children. Think about it - it's just wrong to hit another person - period. Particularly after a certain age. However, I do think it may be necessary for very small children to be smacked on the bottom with a firm "NO" for running towards a road and/or doing things that are a danger to themselves, i.e. sticking fingers in sockets, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 08:58 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,017,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
This religiously 'entitled' gendered power imbalance is one of the main reasons why heterosexual couples can have so many problems and why there is still so much domestic violence in the world.

When some men feel they are 'entitled' to have their way because they are male, they can act like 6 foot tantrumming 2 year olds.
I agree with you that some men really do believe that they are entitled to having everything their way BECAUSE they are male. No doubt about that.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:12 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
When you realize that you are FREE... REALLY FREE....

It compels you to follow the one who broke your chains and loved you enough to tell you that you are FREE.
Loved the story, especially this!

Old 03-07-2014, 07:51 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Why are there people on here who don't believe in the Bible arguing about the Biblical view of the headship? Baffling to me.

I think this is a matter that people have become way too consumed by the world's view of the headship. This is not about belittling the woman in the family as people are making it. It's about defining roles within a family. This idea of a man and woman being able to take on each other roles is not always realistic. There are certain things that each do, that are unique and that's by design. As was mentioned earlier, if God was this misogynist that people are suggesting, then it's likely women would not accept his message. I think the way we view men and women is distorted to how we should view the two.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:06 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Why are there people on here who don't believe in the Bible arguing about the Biblical view of the headship? Baffling to me.

I think this is a matter that people have become way too consumed by the world's view of the headship. This is not about belittling the woman in the family as people are making it. It's about defining roles within a family. This idea of a man and woman being able to take on each other roles is not always realistic. There are certain things that each do, that are unique and that's by design. As was mentioned earlier, if God was this misogynist that people are suggesting, then it's likely women would not accept his message. I think the way we view men and women is distorted to how we should view the two.
A lot of people view things in a negative light because of the fallen world we live in. Something as innocent and loving as submission (coming up under, supporting, being unselfish, putting the other's needs ahead of your own) is twisted to mean being subjected to the abuse and whims of an angry tyrannical misogynist.

Maybe women who argue against the Biblical view have been witness to abuse by men or experienced it first hand and it's beyond their scope of experience to trust one enough to let them take the lead.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:23 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Only if you are a biblical literalist would you insist that physical spanking is necessary for child rearing.

Discipline is teaching and correcting, not punishment. Do people honestly think that they learn best when they are being physically (or verbally) beaten? If they don't, why do they think that's how a child would learn? I believe "the rod of discipline" has to do with the natural consequences of a child's actions. Don't spare them from experiencing those things, or they won't learn from their mistakes.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:13 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
A lot of people view things in a negative light because of the fallen world we live in. Something as innocent and loving as submission (coming up under, supporting, being unselfish, putting the other's needs ahead of your own) is twisted to mean being subjected to the abuse and whims of an angry tyrannical misogynist.

Maybe women who argue against the Biblical view have been witness to abuse by men or experienced it first hand and it's beyond their scope of experience to trust one enough to let them take the lead.
Trust requires character and competence of equal measure.

Thank you for your insight... you are a valuable contributor.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:32 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Trust requires character and competence of equal measure.

Thank you for your insight... you are a valuable contributor.
Thanks.

One thing I also noticed, is that the pop/tv culture perpetuates a rather new stereotype. The woman is domineering and controlling, the kids are smarter than their parents, and the dad or husband is the schlepper who has no idea what is going on.

It might be easier for some men to roll over rather than take the lead, and current culture reinforces this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity