Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would it be OK to say a Jewish prayer at a Christian funeral?
Yes. A Jewish prayer is showing respect for the deceased 12 80.00%
No. Only Christian prayers should be allowed. 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 09:16 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,490,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Yes, Pruzhany, that is what I was thinking. I was thinking that at some point after the Christian funeral service, the Jewish person would quietly walk up to the casket and say a prayer.

Twin.spin, would you be opposed to that?
When I read the question originally, the way it is worded left it open to interpretation which I understood it to mean "at a Christian funeral". For the Christian a " Christian funeral" is a worship service, thus it would not be appropriate during the actual funeral.

And for the afterwards possibility, I can only relate to my own experiences based on the Christian funerals at LCMS \ WELS churches.

There would be no time for the Jewish person would quietly walk up to the casket and say a prayer because as the end of the service was occurring, the casket is being taken to the hearse which then it goes to the cemetery for a committal service and then actual burial.

If the casket was not removed for awhile after the service, there isn't much one can do if one decides to do something after the Christian funeral service. For me after the service, it's closure time with the focus of Jesus' guarantee and looking forward to the resurrection of the saints triumphant ... not what someone is doing who has no faith in Jesus.

Would I be opposed .... good question.
I guess it would be dependent on too many factors for me that could not be answered definitively yes or no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 09:21 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'd be quite pleased if a Jewish friend cared enough to attend the funeral of my loved one (or me) and said a prayer.

I would be pleased also, Dew.

Frequently, the 23rd Psalm is recited at both Christian and Jewish funerals. It's from the Hebrew scripture.
The Psalms can certainly be seen as prayers.

So, we already do this.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:11 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I would be pleased also, Dew.

Frequently, the 23rd Psalm is recited at both Christian and Jewish funerals. It's from the Hebrew scripture.
The Psalms can certainly be seen as prayers.

So, we already do this.
Lovely thought.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:12 PM

392 posts, read 352,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'd be quite pleased if a Jewish friend cared enough to attend the funeral of my loved one (or me) and said a prayer.
Yah .... you can not turn away love.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:02 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,088 times
Love is love and well God is God. One of my favorite quotes from Mahatma Gandhi " God has no religion". Sometimes we get so bogged down in the religion part we forget about the God part. So please OP say the prayer it is only out of love for another human being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity