Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 04:20 AM

1,030 posts, read 840,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Absolutely yes. Say, when did He promise to do that? Oh, well what DID Jesus promise to guide us into truth and why don't you trust THAT?
I do not believe the Holy Spirit is telling people the differing things they are claiming He is. I believe we need to test the spirits as to see if they are from God or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 05:37 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
Yes I know what my religion is.

The reformation only had to do with one church. Not my church.
A Muslim? A Jew?

Old 03-10-2014, 09:59 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
I do not believe the Holy Spirit is telling people the differing things they are claiming He is. I believe we need to test the spirits as to see if they are from God or not.
No, of course not, so the point is to test and see which ones have an agenda besides finding truth in a relationship with God and our fellow humans. That's why we have the tools to check that I have mentioned more than once. ONE of the tools is the Bible used with some understanding nof what it is all about.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:44 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,617,606 times
Quote:
The OP is absolutely correct as far as it goes, but it leaves out the OTHER obvious irrationality; that an obviously corrupted organization of men should be any more of an authority for salvation than rigid adherence to a manifestly contradictory book. Is there another choice that allows faith in the message of Christ?
Just something for Luther commenting on the papacy:
'Of the papacy at Rome, instituted by the Devil, of which the best can be said is that it is like the angry roar of a wounded lion, bayed by its pursuers'.

You know that speaks also in a way to those continental 'princes' who picked up a 'political' Protestantism which brought on religious war in Luther's wake. His theology had great ramifications for religious and secular power during the age that are no doubt with us today. And even with that upheaval, the Church dealt with it in spite of the divisons which followed and becoming even more resilent facing Luther's attacks.

And he, in a way, perhaps started the dialogue as well as the stridency we now have inherent in how individuals relate to religion today by asking really where authority lies on questions of great portent, i.e. is it in a man's conscience, his government or in his religious creed? Luther threw down his gauntlet back in the 16th and life has never been the same.
I think he unleashed 'hell'....;-)....

Old 03-10-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
A Muslim? A Jew?
Christian!

Old 03-10-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Christian!

A follower of Jesus!
Do you go to church?

Old 03-10-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
A follower of Jesus!
Do you go to church?
Depends on what you mean by "church".

I do not forsake the gathering together with fellow Christians if that is what you mean.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Depends on what you mean by "church".

I do not forsake the gathering together with fellow Christians if that is what you mean.
So you are not a member of any established denomination. Is that correct?

Old 03-10-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
So you are not a member of any established denomination. Is that correct?
Depends on what you mean by "member" and "denomination". I believe all Christians are added to "The Church" when saved. You don't have to join anything on earth. As far as I know only local congregation become or are part of a denomination.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Depends on what you mean by "member" and "denomination". I believe all Christians are added to "The Church" when saved. You don't have to join anything on earth. As far as I know only local congregation become or are part of a denomination.
OK, this is a me and my bible deal.

Nothing wrong with that. God does not require church membership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity